World Cup 2010 South Africa

Aaaawesome! Easily the funniest game I've seen thus far in the <strike>Battles</strike> World Cup. I rooted for the Dutchies, of course (partly because they were underdogs and rooting for the underdog makes the win sweeter, and partly because they're the team the most similar to Sweden that's left in the tournament :P), and was really thrilled about this win. I thought going for penalty shots was the best bet Holland had (and that's not a very good bet for Holland either), but lo - it wasn't needed. Of course, they did miss at least two really open chances towards the end when it was 2-1 (and even more if you count more liberally), but they won anyway.

Heinz said:
we're not arrogant, we're realistic, and we're even able to recognize that other teams may play better than us in certain aspects, as we recognize the Netherlands today.

You on the other hand is arrogant and unable to see that Brazil has a good team, despite its errors.

What you mean with realistic?

And honestly Brazil is arrogant... I saw on tv, internet they saying that Chile was a cstumer and other things...

Don't generalize.

Yeah good team... but they lose their head...

Dunga do not fucked up. The team was the problem.

What the hell happened there?

2 x 1 but that could be more...

Congratulations to Netherlands and I have to say it was a great game. I honestly thought Brazill would buldozer Netherlands if they were going full defence. But damn what a comeback, they basicly owned Brazil in the second half time. :clap:
Good luck to them, hope theyl win next ones to.

Really dramatic ending to the Uruguay vs Ghana match, with Ghana winning a penalty in the final minute of extra time, losing it, and ultimately losing the match in the penalty shootout. Shame for them to lose that way.

Hellion said:
Really dramatic ending to the Uruguay vs Ghana match, with Ghana winning a penalty in the final minute of extra time, losing it, and ultimately losing the match in the penalty shootout. Shame for them to lose that way.

Shit happens... but that was a great game !

Most catchy match on the Champ I've seen so far. A real fucking battle.

Will this stop vuvuzelas, or will not? No team from the contintent of bananas, slavers, and AIDS has already left! :drummer:

Netherlands-Brazil was a great match, and I honestly think the winner did not deserve it. Brazil was so much stronger in the first half, we Dutch were so disorganised and the defence was terrible. Ooijer (who had a terrible season for my own PSV Eindhoven) coming in for Mathijsen didn't help, but that Robinho goal should never have happened - Van Bommel, De Jong or one of the defenders should have cut that pass out. And really, that entire first half was horendous - we should've been 2-0 or 3-0 down at the half. The defense was so poor, the communication was poor and there were so many poor passes and cases of terrible coverage. But luckily, we were only down 1-0 at the half, in part because Stekelenburg saved a brilliant shot by Kaka, and that was doable. The two goals we got were lucky, but not an unfair characterisation of the second where the Dutch team was just a lot better than the Brazilians.

A few more notes: the referee was good, but we had a few breaks - I think the referee was a bit quick to give the Dutch guys some free kicks and was a bit harsh on the Brazilians. Still, I don't think it was excessive or decisive. Van Bommel certainly should've had a card at some point, but didn't because he's so good at sucking up to the ref.
Second, the goals the Dutch made were mostly lucky and not a consequence of good play. That's troubling, to say the least.
Third, now that we've beaten Brazil and shown we can take on truly championship-class sides, we can win this cup. I'm hoping for a Netherlands-Germany final game.

Jesterka said:
Are you trying to convince me I have something against Brasiil, sweety? :wiggle:

Dunga fucked it up from beginning to the end very thoroughly and you'd go down facing Germany or Argentina anyway, lets face it. :wink:
Honestly, I think Dunga created the best side at this World Cup, and they went out against the Netherlands in a close match where they had some breaks go against them. But I think in quality and consistency Brazil was the best side in South Africa.

Lastly, congratulations to Uruguay for going through. But honestly, I don't think you have much of a chance. Usually I'm pretty humble and rather respectful of opponents, but Uruguay, especially without Suarez, should not be a problem for the Netherlands - as arrogant as that sounds. I don't think they have the individual quality to go through.

EDIT:
I feel bad for Heurelho Gomes, one of the my favourite players ever - the man was a hero for PSV Eindhoven and just such a good guy overall. A shame he still isn't the starter for Brazil, because he has the quality to start.

Sander said:
Lastly, congratulations to Uruguay for going through. But honestly, I don't think you have much of a chance. Usually I'm pretty humble and rather respectful of opponents, but Uruguay, especially without Suarez, should not be a problem for the Netherlands - as arrogant as that sounds. I don't think they have the individual quality to go through.
Be careful, I heard they play with 3 goalkeepers. :P

Sander said:
Second, the goals the Dutch made were mostly lucky and not a consequence of good play. That's troubling, to say the least. Third, now that we've beaten Brazil and shown we can take on truly championship-class sides, we can win this cup. I'm hoping for a Netherlands-Germany final game.

If Brazil had played like they did versus Chile, then they could have won that match, but the Dutch pressured them in such a way that their game fell apart…the Dutch team weathered the storm in the first half and slowly got themselves back into the game. Brazilian goal keeper Julio Cesar’s fuckup cost them dearly, as well as some sloppy defense…I agree with Sander…the Netherlands goals were very lucky ones, but the luck goes with the team who wants to win…

The boys in orange live to fight another day.

Hellion said:

That game was awesome! Just the part were the cameras focused on the expelled player leaving the field in anguish, then focusing him again immediatly after the failed penalty kick as he was still on his way out to show his reaction... good stuff.

I completely agree with this though:

Sander said:
(...) Uruguay, especially without Suarez, should not be a problem for the Netherlands - as arrogant as that sounds. I don't think they have the individual quality to go through.

The Netherlands have one and half foot on the final already.

.Pixote. said:
Brazilian goal keeper Julio Cesar’s fuckup cost them dearly

Really? I thought it looked more like he was shoved out of the way by one of his defenders trying to head the ball clear. In part his fault anyway since he should've had better communication, but I think he could've punched that ball away if there hadn't been a guy jumping into him halfway to it. Also, would've.

On Uruguay, they didn't convince at all against Ghana. If they don't shape up immensly they'll be out in the semi for sure.

Well well, tonight's games should potentially be just as exciting, too bad it's only 3 games to go after tomorrow.

lucas. said:
I was about to kill my neighbor for having to hear this shit everyday

[...] for pratically stopping hospitals, schools and even police stations because of soccer...

so why didn't you? :look:

Sander said:
I'm hoping for a Netherlands-Germany final game.
I'm hoping for Netherlands-Argentina. I don't think Argentina can beat Germany today, but I'll be rooting for Argentina just because Maradona is a cool bum.

If Germany beats Argentina, and Spain beats Paraguay, the potential Germany-Spain match will be something to behold. If not Argentina, I'd prefer Germany to face Holland in the finale. In that case, I'll root for Holland for the cup, but if it's Netherlands-Argentina in the finale, I'll be torn in the middle. (I don't think Uruguay can beat Holland either - does anyone? It would be pretty fun, though.)

Dead Guy said:
Really? I thought it looked more like he was shoved out of the way by one of his defenders trying to head the ball clear. In part his fault anyway since he should've had better communication, but I think he could've punched that ball away if there hadn't been a guy jumping into him halfway to it. Also, would've.
Well, sure. But it's a golden rule of goalkeeping: if you come off your line, you have to get to the ball no matter what happens. No matter whether a player's stupid enough to get in his way, he should get to that ball.

Dead Guy said:
On Uruguay, they didn't convince at all against Ghana. If they don't shape up immensly they'll be out in the semi for sure.
And they're missing Suarez, too. While Suarez hasn't played brilliant, consistent matches he has shown the ability to create a goal at any point in a match.

.Pixote. said:
If Brazil had played like they did versus Chile, then they could have won that match
Well, they couldn't - but not because of the pressure because Chile is one of the teams with the most intense pressing in this tournament. What they couldn't do against the Dutch that they could do against Chile is counter-attack: Chile's style of play creates a lot of space behind and in between the defense that can be exploited, while this Dutch team has been extremely disciplined in defense, not allowing those counter-attacks to be effective.

Also something I forgot to mention, this has been the first match where I could hear chants and crowd reactions really clearly. It almost felt like a normal, European match.

Lastly, missing De Jong and Van der Wiel against Uruguay will hurt, but will not be catastrophic. Losing Van der Wiel means we lose a lot of width and offense on the right side of the field, and that will be the biggest loss. De Zeeuw will play instead of De Jong, and while De Jong is a better pure defensive midfielder, De Zeeuw's a bit better going forward, and his defensive skills should still be enough to stop Uruguay.

Rather poor performance for Argentina so far in the match. Germany is holding on to their 1-0 lead quite easily, and if not for Klose's incompetence they could have scored one more.

Should the score remain until the end, it would be extremely interesting to see a semi-final phase without Argentina or Brazil. Practically every team would have an equal chance to win the cup. With Uruguay being the slight underdogs of course.

stream was cut just now..heard screaming outside, knew what that meant :D

/e well..guess maradonna has to shut the heck up now..

Germany is cruising along to the finals while trampling all over Argentina. All that South American noise thus far has proven to be just that -- noise.

Messi? Messy.

Fantastic game by Germany and that Argentina didnt even manage to score one goal(discounting the one that didnt count). I realy hope the Germany-Netherlands game will come true, now that would be fun to watch. Btw the last goal was like rubing salt on Argentinas wound.

Well, that was about what I expected. The Argentinians really couldn't handle the intelligent movement by the German midfielders and attackers. Once the Germans went up, in part because Romero blubbered at a set piece, they never really looked like they were in trouble and they could defend and then counterattack Argentina to death. Good team play beats good individuals almost every time, and this was no different.

Too bad Mueller is suspended for the next match, though. That's a real blow for the Germans, he's so central to their strategy.

And happily, a Netherlands-Germany final is closer again.

Back