Worst Possible things for FO3?

Phil the Nuke-Cola Dude said:
*EDIT* OR the lack of the ability to put a brick of armed c4 into somones pocket without them knowing.
That would be a goddamn great feature to implement.

But seriously, if i had to name one thing as the worst to possibly happen to FO3, i would say it's First Person view. One could create an interesting FP game on the fallout universe, but it would be Fallout 3 as much as FOPOS is fallout.

PhredBean said:
going 3D (bwah!)
3d would be no means weaken the feel of the game, and would make it take a lot less time and resources to develop. I'm not going to even mention what the 2d enviroments did to my computer every time I passed under a beam or roof in Fo:T.
There seems to be three main camps with regard to 2D/3D.
1. Must be 2D ISO, there is no way that 3D would work! It is blasphemy to even think that, INFIDEL!
2. 3D made to look like 2D Isometric. The middle ground.
3. 3D FPS or over-the-shoulder Third person, wish to make FO3 a platform adventure in the style of Morrowind or Tomb Raider.

I would put myself somewhere between the first and second viewpoints. I would like FO3 to at least look like FO, whether it is the same viewpoint or just another disguised as it makes little difference to me.

Big_T_UK said:
There seems to be three main camps with regard to 2D/3D.
1. Must be 2D ISO, there is no way that 3D would work! It is blasphemy to even think that, INFIDEL!
I can somewhat understand this viewpoint, though I find it rather narrow-minded.
2. 3D made to look like 2D Isometric. The middle ground.
My stance I've always taken. This also seemed to be the most supported stance back on the old BIS forums (before they moved to Iplay, and I refused to make the move.)
3. 3D FPS or over-the-shoulder Third person, wish to make FO3 a platform adventure in the style of Morrowind or Tomb Raider.
You have no idea the nightmares this image still causes. Hell no.

Worst thing they could do to fallout: Not allow the many paths available to players (Combatboy, Diplomacyboy, and Stealthboy) and only make one way to do each quest. The game would lose all replay value, and even lose the enjoyment of the initial runthrough.
Or make each and every tiny quest from the standard "fedex" to a typical "kill critter, get drop" make you drag your unhappy ass clear acrossed the continent three times and back, the way they do in MMO's and Morrowind. That would also piss me off.
I also don't want to see the map screen lost to the take a walk and enjoy the scenery till your eyes bleed approach of Morrowind and MMO's (MW and MMO's seem linked in my mind, as both have the same damn empty feeling, just with Morrowind lacking the swarms of idiots that sometimes makes the drudgery worth a laugh, I hate both.)

Oh man so much to say...

I would die if it were 1st person perspective and only real time combat. Same with a teen rating.

I would wound myself if it didnt have vast and different dialogue options that elicited varied responses. As well as no "Wasteland" environment.

I would pinch myself if it didnt have references to Fallout 1 and 2.

I would wince if I hear about a reference to F:PoS.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

I agree! Keep the tradition of FO1&2 and DONT try to do anything to ambitious!
We dont want them to try to make a masterpiece and then fuck it up.... badly.

I heard a bunch of nut sack biters that were telling everyone that Fallout 3 should be full 3D! DAMN YOU SACK BITERS! THE WORST POSSIBLE THING WOULD BE FOR Fallout 3 TO GO 3D.

First it would suck ass because you would need a high end system to run the 3D game

Second the world wouldn't be as huge and there wouldn't be as cool of stuff (all that detail in Fallout 2) compared to Morrowind or those other 3D games. Though I have Morrow I know that Fallout is not 3D. And screw all those bastards who try to take away the elements that made Fallout so good.

Morrowind leaves your soul thirsty, Fallout 2 quenched your soul and made you come back for more.

And don't nobody dare water Fallout down. It's like fine wine, cocaine, or heroine, you shouldn't put filler in any of them. All killer no filler that is what Fallout 3 should be, hard core (if that means killing kids, so be it). And put in the dogs (DOGMEAT YEAH!), and the whores, and the tribals, and I want all those weird native wild life from fallout 2.

FALLOUT 3, 2D - DO OR DIE HOO-AH!

mt739402 said:
Second the world wouldn't be as huge and there wouldn't be as cool of stuff (all that detail in Fallout 2) compared to Morrowind
I don't really think one could honestly say that Morrowind lacked detail, though I haven't played it much, all the areas I played were excruciatingly detailed - down to individually placed plants. It is generally a feature of 3d games that they lack detail.
And don't nobody dare water Fallout down. It's like fine wine, cocaine, or heroine, you shouldn't put filler in any of them
Somewhat irrelevant, but (IIRC) pretty much all cocaine/heroin is filler. Pure heroin would take a very small dose to kill you, so they cut it with other "filler" materials. :D

I wont mind 3d... Unfortunetly, im a SEMI-SUCKER for graphics. Just as long as it isnt 1st person... wow that would suck....

I enjoyed FO2's combat as a HTH the most. HTH in 1st person blows...

IM not afraid of inovation to fallout, i just wish TROIKA was doing it.... I mean, i dont mean this to bash bethsheda, but Morrowind was just console junk. These console geeeks havent experienced PC rpg, which have been far superiour to console junk, just because of KEYBOARDS alone, that they dont know what a good RPG is....

Morrowind blows... i couldnt stand to play it past creating my character. it was just weak and boring. thanks Jesus that i didnt buy it... it was really bad. I dont know how somebody can make something like that.. but i guess that goes for 80% of all games made. Why doesnt somebody make something they would want to play??? oh wait, fallout....

Well i guess we will just have to see how well Morrowind Oblivion does. Hopefully we will see soemthing good this time around.

mt739402 said:
I heard a bunch of nut sack biters that were telling everyone that Fallout 3 should be full 3D! DAMN YOU SACK BITERS! THE WORST POSSIBLE THING WOULD BE FOR Fallout 3 TO GO 3D.

As mentioned a 3D but iso view would still work very well. Silent Storm did it and it turns out ok. (there's some further tweakings to improve it, of course, like short cut key to immediately switch to a fixed defined angle and zoom level. will make handling it a tons easier)

mt739402 said:
First it would suck ass because you would need a high end system to run the 3D game

well, Silent Storm works well on my computer, and it's not even considered high end. You seriously don't expect FO3 to run on 486 do you?

mt739402 said:
Second the world wouldn't be as huge and there wouldn't be as cool of stuff (all that detail in Fallout 2) compared to Morrowind or those other 3D games.

I think you're not expressing yourself coherently here. First you say FO3 shouldn't be 3D because it wouldn't be as huge and full of cool stuff, then you compare it to Morrowind which is huge and 3D.

mt739402 said:
Morrowind leaves your soul thirsty, Fallout 2 quenched your soul and made you come back for more.

be fair. the problem with MW has nothing to do with whether it's 3D or otherwise.

I personally favour a 3D FO3. Imagine able to rotate the camera to corners that you can't see very well in 2D (even if the walls fade away etc). As for problem in handling a rotatable camera.... some preset keys/assigned by players allowing it to immediately switch to a fixed elevation and angle, would solve some of the clumsiness in camera handling in 3D.

I think anything along the lines of Blizzard-esque action (ex. Diablo 2 trading system) would be pretty bad.

I can see it now:

"Ill trade 2 bfg900 4 3 flamers + Vault Suit O Doom"

"ne1 got hax?"

Etc

The worst possible thing? It would be if the opening movie to Fallout had Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff" playing in the background. I mean, compared to that, even a Morrowind-with-guns would look positively heartwarming.

Edit: Yep, I sure did. One sentence ain't cutting the cheese today, my friend.

The beauty of Fallout is being able to shoot someone in the nuts and then smash their head in with a sledgehammer while they're stunned flat on the ground.

Music to my ears!!!

I think I'd be pretty fed up if your character in F3 would run around carrying a book of spells and a bunch of scrolls, waving magic wand and shooting lightning fireballs at raiders. Bone-crushing mechanics is a must for fallout.

Big_T_UK said:
I don't really think one could honestly say that Morrowind lacked detail, though I haven't played it much, all the areas I played were excruciatingly detailed - down to individually placed plants. It is generally a feature of 3d games that they lack detail.

Bleh. After all that time, I still find Gothic and Gothic II to be far better in 3d world design. That actually feels like a land, versus the sparse, empty feeling that I feel walking through Morrowind.

Fo3 is bound to have areas with a lot of clutter akin to Junktown. I would rather that they take notes from Gothic versus a couple of pretty items in Morrowind that feel alone. In world detail, Betheseda has some quirky aspects that seem clever at first but then turn into a pain in the ass as you're running along giant pyramid cities that look nice but otherwise are an annoyance to wander through as they are 80% empty and you're moving as a slug's pace. The design for both Gothics, down to the ruined buildings in cities, was top-notch and this detail existed outside of cities as well.

So...I really can't believe that Bethesda could offer the same level of detail, at least in design so that a city would feel like a city through graphics and design both. Sure, Bethesda can do some great things in regards to graphics, especially with a few token objects, now only if they'd learn something about 3d design to take advantage of that. That is Bethesda's missing link. Each piece might look good, but as a whole it feels rather flat and frankly amateurish.

slicer17 said:
I mean, i dont mean this to bash bethsheda, but Morrowind was just console junk. These console geeeks havent experienced PC rpg, which have been far superiour to console junk, just because of KEYBOARDS alone, that they dont know what a good RPG is....

Ah, the sweet bliss of ignorance. Morrowind was developed for pcs, it was only adapted to the xbox... during most of the game's development the guys making it had no idea the would have to port it to a console, so saying it's "console junk" is a stupid statement.

You can however, call it junk in general, i wouldn't go that far, tough i don't have any affection for that game.

What annoyed me about Gothic was that the endings were too easy to guess. The world was good, but the story could have been a lot better IMO.

I never played Morrowind tho, I don't like first person RPGs much and third person (Tomb Raider style) isn't that much to my liking either.

Ashmo said:
I never played Morrowind tho, I don't like first person RPGs much and third person (Tomb Raider style) isn't that much to my liking either.

SOME first person RPGs do it right, though. I'm talking about Betrayal at Krondor, which is the best RPG of all time (yes, I know it's blasphemy, but it is superior to either Fallout). I have no problem with walking around in first person; it's whenever you get into combat that it really bugs me. Morrowind felt like it could've been a mod for Unreal Tournament; it's like playing an FPS with swords and bows instead of guns. But it was actually fun for a while. Yes, crappy story, boring combat, and cookie-cutter NPCs aside, it was fun to have a whole world out there to explore.

I prefer the Fallout games but yeah, Return to Krondor was really good, wouldn`t mind playing a new RPG with that gameplay and writing.

Roshambo said:
Bleh. After all that time, I still find Gothic and Gothic II to be far better in 3d world design. That actually feels like a land, versus the sparse, empty feeling that I feel walking through Morrowind.

Totaly agree.

Seconded, although I got to say that the game was incredibly shadow if you took away the game world.

Back