Would anyone take issue with the Enclave in future games?

Grimhound

Still Mildly Glowing
I have been putting thought into a fan-script that I may turn into a full project to some degree. I was curious what peoples' opinions are in regard to the Enclave and if they would be salvageable as a primary antagonist if good writing and reasoning for their return was behind them.

I know where you are coming from and I am absolutely not an Enclave hater (I liked them in Fallout 2) but the Enclave has played its role in the games.
Please move on and let them die.

The fallout setting is so screwed up at this point, they could throw pretty much everything in. It's much too late to rage at it, IMO.

The Dutch Ghost said:
I know where you are coming from and I am absolutely not an Enclave hater (I liked them in Fallout 2) but the Enclave has played its role in the games.
Please move on and let them die.
The following sort of spoils the premise of my idea, but it contains the premise of my idea. It's unavoidable if I want any feedback.
[spoiler:cea427bf0a]See, I had a smack of inspiration to the back of the head while watching the trailer to Iron Sky again, where you could adapt the premise to Fallout, where you could say that some faction in the FOU blasted off and actually initiated the nuclear exchange that wrecked the world. The Enclave seemed to fit, and you could basically have something going where they were a sort of shadowy presence within a shadowy presence. Possibly something set to lie in wait as a mixture of a high command and a last bastion on the dark side of the Moon, waiting for a signal from the forces left behind that the entirety of the planet, and not just the US, has been seized for the Enclave. We're 200+ years later, and there's been nothing. So, they prepare for some Operation Overlord deal.

Here's the link to the Iron Sky trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEueJnsu80[/spoiler:cea427bf0a]

Actually Grimhound that idea is not new, I have seen or read it before from other people.
It went as far as the Enclave having a space fleet and the Chinese also having a base on the moon.

Personally IMO having manned space stations and ships still two hundred years after the great war is stretching the setting to far.

I don't exclude the idea of there being space stations and such before the War that might still be orbiting Earth, I even have something similar for an idea of my own, but the people who built them or know about them are long dead.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Actually Grimhound that idea is not new, I have seen or read it before from other people.
It went as far as the Enclave having a space fleet and the Chinese also having a base on the moon.

Personally IMO having manned space stations and ships still two hundred years after the great war is stretching the setting to far.

I don't exclude the idea of there being space stations and such before the War that might still be orbiting Earth, I even have something similar for an idea of my own, but the people who built them or know about them are long dead.

Building on the thought is that all the Vault Experiment data has been piped up to the base, and they've gradually expanded. This is entirely isolated from things happening on the Earth. There are really no ravages of time aside from the active systems. Imagine if an Enclave moon colony had a souped-up version of the GECK that was more true to the mythic status attributed to it in the games rather than simply being the basics. I see no reason why a colony couldn't thrive in a setting like Fallout's. If you ever really did run into a reason, just look to science fiction.

So the enclave has Wi-Fi in the moon? and they expanded on an esterile piece of rock?

In the Fallout games, the Enclave existed on the west coast because the story in FO2 place them there. It actually makes sense that they would have a large presence in DC, since they were a shadow branch of the government before the war. Beyond that, their presence anywhere else would, at best, be small and fragmented. I don't see them as a plausible major antagonist in future games.

Walpknut said:
So the enclave has Wi-Fi in the moon? and they expanded on an esterile piece of rock?

Knowing bethesda, the moon would probably have flora and fauna and the air would be breathable, without any explanation at all.

I know I said that the Enclave, as a major antagonist, in future games would seem implausible. But, that doesn't mean it won't happen. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a future game with a still powerful Enclave, using Deathclaw stormtroopers, based on the moon, conspiring with ALIENS, launching HUGE SPACESHIP ARMADAS AT EARTH..............to conquer primitive tribals.

However, on a smaller, local scale they could make for some interesting encounters. You could have a group of Enclave people in denial about the Enclave's fortunes still trying to hang onto their identity. They might still have some story potential. But, they should not be utilized again as a major force.

Joelzania said:
Walpknut said:

Knowing bethesda, the moon would probably have flora and fauna and the air would be breathable, without any explanation at all.

I don't know if I'd say "without any explanation at all." They'd probably at least give it a "SCIENCE!" Fallout fans like SCIENCE!, right? So, totally in keeping with the backstory. Done and done.

$CIENCE!

Of course, the Enclave could make an interesting addition to future games, but only as gilding. Perhaps a community descended in part from the survivors of Navarro, or a faction somewhere in Oregon or Nevada that's gained an edge thanks to a windfall of Enclave technology. That's as deep as I'd go-- their direct involvement in any future games shouldn't go any further than that, save for maybe a single character's backstory or a special encounter included as a nod to those in the know.

I wonder why no other factions have stumbled across the Enclave's Advanced Power Armor? I would like to see something like that happen. Maybe have the NCR or Legion find a hidden cache somewhere?

TorontRayne said:
I wonder why no other factions have stumbled across the Enclave's Advanced Power Armor? I would like to see something like that happen. Maybe have the NCR or Legion find a hidden cache somewhere?
Unlike other types of Power Armor, APA was (as far as we know) primarily manufactured on the Oil Rig. With the Oil Rig having been blown up, there is likely a big issue with figuring out how to maintain pretty cutting edge tech. APA was (unless it's been retconned) a move to ceramic armor. You can't just bolt and weld it. Still, would be neat to see some improvised power armor mixing tech around a bit.

Also, I have mixed feelings about Bethesda's interpretation of APA Mk2.

^ I guess your right about that, but maybe some were scavenged off of dead Enclave guys, then copied later on by another group. Something similar to what the NCR did in FNV maybe?

TorontRayne said:
^ I guess your right about that, but maybe some were scavenged off of dead Enclave guys, then copied later on by another group. Something similar to what the NCR did in FNV maybe?

The NCR did not copy Power Armor from the BOS, they salvaged suits from the BOS (and apparently the Sierra Army Depot) and removed the servos (probably because they could not fix them).

From where did you got the SAD part? Didn't heard about it in the game.

The Dutch Ghost said:
TorontRayne said:

The NCR did not copy Power Armor from the BOS, they salvaged suits from the BOS (and apparently the Sierra Army Depot) and removed the servos (probably because they could not fix them).

Yeah I know that. I am saying the same thing can be done with other armor types. They could scavenge parts off of Tesla Armor or something.

Lexx said:
From where did you got the SAD part? Didn't heard about it in the game.

[spoiler:b87ceb60f7]During Lonesome Road you get the choice at the end to launch a missile either at NCR or Legion territory. If you decide to fire on the NCR a new location opens on the regular map called the Long 15.
When you travel to it you find NCR soldiers turned Marked Men amongst which is an officer wearing scorched Sierra Power Armor[/spoiler:b87ceb60f7]

Back