Yellowstone, a giant... Awakes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Maphusio, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Maphusio

Maphusio Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Sep 25, 2004
    Many's worst fears have begun to translate to apocalyptic nightmares as the super volcano that covers nearly 90% of Yellowstone national park in Montana, USA is rocked with swarms of earthquakes.

While earthquakes are normal to occur at Yellowstone, this recent occurrence is extremely rare indeed. Also note that in the 1980's scientists discovered the caldera had been rising to the extent of displacing a lake from its normal banks.

If the Yellowstone super volcano erupted with the intensity anticipated it would be a global killer. Some here have argued with me in the past and I'd hate to say, "I told you so." when it comes to the human race becoming a space faring one sooner rather than later.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a simple shift of subterranean materials or the giant rolling over in its sleep. I guess we will have to wait and see eh?

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/capital...e-earthquakes-under-supervolcano-caldera.html

2. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan A Smooth-Skin

Aug 6, 2008
    I always thought this was the coolest of doomsday scenarios they showed in that End Days documentary.

3. I_eat_supermutants

I_eat_supermutants Vault Senior Citizen

Feb 5, 2007
    Hmmm. Well if it does happen. I'm vapor.
    I believe an occurrence like this has happened before in my short 22 years tho.

I've followed this for years now. See it on the history channel once a year during doomsday week after new years.
    It's one of those things that creep in the back of my mind then am confronted by it.

I'm gonna move to the east coast so I can suffocate on ash rather then being turned to vapor.

4. Chancellor Kremlin

Chancellor Kremlin Mildly Dipped

Nov 17, 2008
    I read somewhere we are due a super volcanic explosion any time now.... should be fun.

5. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    I hope it erupts on New Year's Eve.
    Anything's better than being home alone while everyone is out having fun.
    :evil:

6. Blazerfrost

Blazerfrost First time out of the vault

May 30, 2007
    Is there any way humans can make this thing erupt? Like say, with a direct nuclear strike?

7. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    Gather your friends and puff on it hard. This ought to do the trick.

8. FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 15, 2004
    No, that's how you stop it.

9. Maphusio

Maphusio Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Sep 25, 2004
    It depends on the pressures involved. Generally, what sets of a volcano is a small fracture in the dome. Think of a balloon after a pin prick.

In the end, we just don't know enough about our planet to know for sure.

Fortunately things were slightly more in tune with a normal day today; however, that unfortunately means nothing. If things stay normal for the next week, I'll be at ease... Then again, Mt. St. Helens went up with no one suspecting as much. Today the mountain rebuilds itself at over a dump drunk load of dirt per day and has been doing so for several years baffling scientists around the world.

10. M-26-7

M-26-7 Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 20, 2008
    I've heard about this thing. My eigth grade science teacher, who was kind of crazy and awesome, would always tell us ways the human race was going to be destroyed. This was one of them.

Also I wonder what it would be like to be on the ISS as this happened. Could you return to earth? Would it be livable before air and water etc ran out? Good for a slightly influence mind.

11. Pope Viper

Pope Viper This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Dec 9, 2003
    Sounds like a cool teacher.

What other ways did he describe?

12. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Damn it and I had so much left to live for!

(looks at calendar and see's months of nothin')

Eh, whatever.

13. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    The thing is just ... if it really happens, what can one do about it?

I mean. Its on such a large scale, that the question is how far can one prevent it from happen seriously. Or should people start to collect food, energy resources and built a shelter for the worst case scenario? If you dont even know if it might explode next week, in 50 or 500 years ?

I mean its not the only part of the world with "potential" risks. Near the cost of africa is a island with a volcano under it. The structure of this island is that fragile that geologist claim that a eroption might cause half of the island to fall in the ocan and cause a gigantic flood wave towards the north american coast maybe 50 or even more meters high. And it would move even that fast that any kind of preparation would be almost useless in the event as it would take less then a day to reach the most major cities on the US cost.

How to prepare against such events on almost a global scale? Well. Such things happend already in the past thousands of years ago. All you can do is to hope that it does not happen in your life time and enjoy your time.

I think no. They have no way of returning to the earth without a working technology and suport available.

I have read once about scenarios during times the Mir was still in space with the inhabitants of the station as the literaly "last surviving people" after either a cosmic event like huge asteroid hit the earth or a nuclear holocaust or other events of some sort that might end almost everything ... kinda funny and creepy at the same time :mrgreen:

I think we should finally populate the Moon or Mars [it was Von Brauns the father of the US space programm imagination after all!] to make sure that humany can repopulate earth again after some heavy cosmic or similar devastating event :crazy:

14. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    You mean the filthy rich populating the Moon and Mars, when it comes to it there will be no place for us on the rocket.

Perhaps we can change the coordinates in the computer and make the rocket fly in to the sun.

The knowledge in my last couple of hours of existence that the rich fat cats went ahead of me screaming in terror during their last seconds, is very comforting.

15. Unkillable Cat

Unkillable Cat Mildly Dipped

Jan 5, 2004
    IIRC, you're talking about the Canary Islands. Primarily known for being a holiday resort for the elderly, it also houses a volcano that's not only dangerously close to the ocean, but the ocean is actually moving in towards it. Soil erosion is weakening the walls between them. When the ocean starts pouring into the volcano... :shock:

16. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    yeah ... well another reason to be european :mrgreen:

17. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    If Yellowstone erupts completely, at its full potential, it's a global killer.

18. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    aww shiiiiiit, man. i should never have gotten off the dope.

19. Killswitch

Killswitch First time out of the vault

Jan 27, 2007
    The U.S. Geological Survey, University of Utah and National Park Service scientists with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory "see no evidence that another such cataclysmic eruption will occur at Yellowstone in the foreseeable future. Recurrence intervals of these events are neither regular nor predictable.

(Stolen from Wiki)

I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't do much to comfort me.

Still though, I'd like to know the exact numbers of how much magma or dust it could blow out.

20. I_eat_supermutants

I_eat_supermutants Vault Senior Citizen

Feb 5, 2007
    Here's the beautiful part about events on that scale. Big problems usually big symptoms. So at least you may have some time to try to hide, say goodbye, leave your mark. Whatever.

As it has been said tho', St. Helens went with little warning.

Something on this scale tho', wouldn't it just collapse as opposed to explode?
    I mean a hole in the ground that large with nothing but earth above it, wouldn't Yellowstone just simply sink?