Your Favourite Fallout game?

Your favorite Fallout game

• Total voters
Fallout 2 10/10: My personally favorite Fallout game. Sure it got a bit silly in certain areas, but overall I thought the game was amazing.

Fallout 1 10/10: A true classic.

Fallout Tactics: 8/10: While it wasn't much of an RPG, I thought it was a decent squad based game with a nice take on the Fallout setting
and the Brotherhood.

Fallout 3 5/10: FO3 showed massive potential to offer a fresh take on the FO lore by setting the game on the East Coast, but sadly they choose fill the game world with various factions from the West Coast, which sadly they left everything that made them interesting back on the other side of the country. Hampered by a horrid wish fulfillment story line, awful writing, and laughable voice acting (save Malcolm McDowell and Pearlman).

F1: 9.5/10
f2: (still playing through the Restoration project, I waited to play it with that)
F3: 9/10
Tactics: Never played, but kind of want to, not a high priority though
BOS: Havent played it either, but might give it a shot if I can find it in a bargain bin

On the first place the first Fallout 1 the story was somehow deeper for me then in Fallout 2 which I played first. The third one on my list is Tactics. Fallout 3 isn't on my list since I haven't played it.

After about 35 hours in New Vegas my list looks like this:

Fallout 3 > Fallout: NV > Fallout 2 > Fallout 1

I kind of want to switch F1 and F2 around though, I think maybe I enjoyed that more, though it wasn't necessarily the better of the two.

FO 1
FO: NV
FO 2
FO 3
FO:T

Kinda weird list, i know ;) But for some reason i just fell in love with NV. Perhaps because it's the first game since god knows when that entertained me more than 10 hours...

I used to be unsure about which of Fallout 1 or 2 I liked better.

In my opinion:

Fallout 1:
  • More consistent world
  • More atmospheric
  • Better plot/story
  • More believable
Fallout 2:
  • Bigger world, more to do
  • Better quest design
Now, I love both, of course, but for different reasons. I am pretty damn sure I prefer Fallout 1 the most. I've played it way more times, I find the plot more gripping. Fallout 2 had too much "random" and "lulzy" stuff in it.

As for the rest of them... well, I liked Fallout Tactics for its combat mainly, it was a fun game, albeit linear, but the stats and SPECIAL worked pretty well. Fallout BoS and Fallout 3 are irrelevant. And New Vegas, we'll see, won't we.

I like Fallout 1 the most. I find it to be tightly designed, very little filler, which makes it a joy to replay. Also, with each other Fallout game that gets released, I appreciate the setting in F1 more. It really is something special.

Second place might actually be taken by NV but it's really too early to tell. But there was a time where I played Fallout 2 a *lot* and, aside from its general flaws that have been much discussed, I'm just quite tired of that game. I think I really burned out on it.
Also, while the mechanics were the same (and occasionally improved) I think they did an extremely shitty job of designing most of the combat encounters in F2. F1 wasn't a tactical dream or anything but I think F2 actually brought out some of the *worst* parts of turnbased games in some locations.

Time will tell though.

I really only love FO 1 and FO 2, played both multiple times and still playing... I'm probably never gonna stop. I don't place either of them above the other. A+ grade games.

3rd - New Vegas, I'm still munching on this one.

Then for 4rd spot I would say Tactics. I thought it was a fine try and generally enjoyed it.

No FO 3 in my list because I had to search the internet to remember what the story was about...

I don't really remember Fo3's story at all, except that it was about Water and tried to be dramatical and failed. I remember the quite cool part with Dr. Stanislaus Braun though. Ah, i just love mad german scientists...

The reason why i don't like FO2 as much as FO1 was heard countless times: It's just too silly at times. FO1 had this dark, desolate atmosphere. Sucked me right in.

Fallout 1 had an excellent narrative that holds strong over time and makes a lasting impression across generations.

Fallout 2 had more content and a lighter tone than

Fallout 1. While not gripping, it was extremely enjoyable and just as intelligent, though the Holy Grail jokes got to be a bit old after a while.

Fallout 3 was FUN, but the writing was awful to the nth degree. If you downloaded enough modifications and skipped through all the dialogue, you could have an enjoyable game on your hands. Certainly "The Pitt" and "Point Lookout" were interesting additions to the game.

So, to answer your question, Fallout 1 remains the best in the series, and Fallout 2 is still sublime.

It's a really tough call between Fallout 1 and 2. Fallout 2 was just so huge and free. There was so much to do and so many places where you could weild your influence.

But while Fallout 1 was smaller in scope, it had a tighter story and atmosphere and was a lot more engaging in terms of choice and moral consequence.

My views have changed because of NV.
Of the games I played.
1. New Vegas- 10/10
2 Fallout 1- 9/10
3. F3- 8.5/10
4. Tatics- 8/10

And from what I've read about the ones I haven't played:
F2- 8/10
BoS- 0/10

Fallout: Was my first Fallout game, and has on one of the best atmospheres, world, and story arc of any games I can think of.

Fallout: NV and Fallout 2 tie for second. I love both games, and though the modern weapons and lulzyness of Fallout 2 get to me sometimes, I still hold it close to my heart...

"Fallout" 3: Only because I havn't played Tactics, therefore can't put anything else here.

Poll added. Voted Fallout.

It goes Fallout > Fallout 2 > New Vegas > Fallout 3 for me.

Don't feel the need to rank Tactics or PoS.

Fallout 2 > Fallout 1 > Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout 3 > Fallout Tactics

1 & 2 are almost too close to call. The first game definitely has the better plot, but the second has dramatically improved gameplay.

New Vegas is easily the best Fallout since the first two games.

In spite of an atrocious plot and writing, I had fun playing Fallout 3, albeit not so much that I've ever felt compelled to pick it up and play it since I first finished it. On the other hand I've been playing fallout 1 & 2 off and on since '97 and '98 respectively and they never seem to get old, and I've already finished New Vegas with three different characters. So relative to those games it's lousy, but I thought it was a decent (if overrated) game in general.

Fallout: Tactics was pretty boring to me. Why piss away time with a poor man's X-Com/Jagged Alliance when I could be pissing away time with the classics?

I haven't played Fallout: BOS yet, but I'm curious if it's as rotten as it looks.

To me, the problem with Fallout 3 was that it was a great game... if you haven't played 1&2. F1 has a much better storyline then F3.
And I too really want to play BoS but I'm scarred that it may ruin Fallout for me.

Back