Zippy's Thread

I was like him, until I played the first 2 games and ended up liking them more then Fallout 3, while at the same time developing hate towards Bethesda (and parent companies).

Wake up and smell the coffee, you aren't changing anyone's opinion on Bethesda.

On the consoles that Fallout 3 runs on?

That's just picking nits. Or really, a terrible argument. You're grasping at anything you can possibly use to discredit us. The Xbox probably has the highest piracy rate of all the big three consoles, given it has the highest similarity to a PC in architecture.

Trithne said:
You come here like you're bearing the torch of enlightenment into the land of the Barbarians, because our desires for a certain type of game are invalididated by technological progress and popularity.
I don't think "invalidated" is the right word. "Made irrelevant" is probably better.

Or did the new millenium invalidate an entire genre because a new generation of gamers doesn't have the attention span?
Here we go with the assertion that only someone with a short attention span could like a game like Fallout 3.

Please, stop trying to tell us to change our stance.
Frankly, it's goddamn sad that the biggest Fallout fansite on the internet is like this. I think the moderators should do a better job of casting out thoughtless bashing on both sides, not just on one side.

But it's not like I'm the only one "bearing the torch of enlightenment" - you guys have had quite a few others try to help out, to temper the emotions, to return to reason, to realize that what you like and don't like isn't God's honest truth, that maybe a game you don't like is actually pretty good if you start listening to everyone, and a game you do like actually kind of sucks when you start listening to everyone. It's a pretty well-adjusted frame of mind and I think plenty of people here are quite capable of it instead of knee-jerk attempts to sling name-calling at companies like Bethesda (who are actually just trying to make a game that's the most fun for the most people).

We're just hopeful New Vegas will be closer to the kind of game we're used to in RPGs, with decent writing, skills and character customisation that are relevant, and gameplay not influenced by the player's skill. I don't think that's too much to ask.
It's not too much to ask for *a* game like that, but the specific gameplay mechanics people are talking about here - not just "good writing" and "better [insert whatever here]", but the perspective, combat style, and dialog - they won't get it from New Vegas. What they're talking about is now a niche game made for niche fans. Don't expect it from Fallout anymore.

As far as just improving on everything in Fallout 3, of course people would hope for that. It'd be silly not to. But some here are so far gone that they think that Obsidian is better off delivering gameplay that's closer to FO1 than FO3, and that's not what they're going to do because that's a pretty piss-poor idea to implement for a game released in 2010.

Trithne said:

That's just picking nits. Or really, a terrible argument. You're grasping at anything you can possibly use to discredit us. The Xbox probably has the highest piracy rate of all the big three consoles, given it has the highest similarity to a PC in architecture.
82% of people playing Demigod on the day it launched pirated the game.

No piracy numbers in the current console generation even remotely stack up to that.

Do any of you guys actually know anything about console modding on current-gen systems?

There are several reasons so many big-name PC developers have moved over to primarily console development (Epic, id, Raven, Crytek, and yes, Bethesda to name a few off the top of my head, and likely Obsidian soon):

The games sell better, development is easier for closed systems, there are fewer support issues, piracy is vastly lower, and the higher price tag makes up for the licensing fees Sony/MS/Nintendo charge.

The original point, I believe, was to say that primary console development is just a reality that must be accepted, and that just about anyone trying to sell a few million copies should be doing it. Blizzard seems to be about the only developer that can serve as an exception.

It's a pretty well-adjusted frame of mind

It's a retarded frame of mind. Sorry, but "the majority is always right" bullshit was invalidated in about 2 seconds after its appearance. For some reason I thought nobody past primary school still takes it for real.

But anyway, let's say Fallout 3 is a good game... by whomever's standards. So what? Really, so what? The fact (and it is a fact, not preference) is that Fallout 3 is not a Fallout game and this is the most important, considering, you know, this is a Fallout forum. So, it's just a good game not a good Fallout. Normally that would be fine and I'm sure no-one here will bad words for Bethesda. However, it carries the name of Fallout and tarnishes it in some of the worst ways since POS. That's the problem of the people here.
Get that?

zippy1 said:
...you guys have had quite a few others try to help...

But doctor! I am not feeling sick! :wink:

Come on nobody is really argueing that Fallout 3 can be an enjoyable game.

Most people here can't enjoy it because because Fallout 3 isn't a good Fallout game because it ignores the basic core design that was established with the franchise.

People who are eager to play a chess match won't be happy either if the match turns out to be a poker tournament.

They might still enjoy poker, thou but it will nether be a good substitute for chess.

FeelTheRads said:
However, it carries the name of Fallout and tarnishes it in some of the worst ways since POS. That's the problem of the people here.
Get that?
Oh, I got it. Crystal clear. Heh.

We're just hopeful New Vegas will be closer to the kind of game we're used to in RPGs, with decent writing, skills and character customisation that are relevant, and gameplay not influenced by the player's skill. I don't think that's too much to ask.
It's not too much to ask for *a* game like that, but the specific gameplay mechanics people are talking about here - not just "good writing" and "better [insert whatever here]", but the perspective, combat style, and dialog - they won't get it from New Vegas. What they're talking about is now a niche game made for niche fans. Don't expect it from Fallout anymore.
No I'm pretty sure decent writing and quest structure are the main concerns.

zippy1 said:
Do any of you guys actually know anything about console modding on current-gen systems?

Yep. For the 360, plug the dvd drive into a sata port, flash it, you're good to go. Games leaked months in advance and without any sort of software-based copy protection. It's incredibly convenient.

I haven't done it myself, I don't own a 360. You'll get banned from xbox live, but oh well guess you're going to miss out on all those achievements... darn! I love achievements!

zippy1 said:
Ah yes, Titanic is an objectively shitty movie and here let me show you something that undoubtedly proves i... wait. That's impossible because it's an OPINION.
Yes, because opinions cannot be wrong and cannot have factual bases. :roll: Yes, there is a lot of subjectivity in art appreciation but skillful techniques and execution are quantifiable to a certain extent (hence all the categories at awards shows). Regardless, it was an illustrative example and is beside the point.

zippy1 said:
I think you've done a good job letting your experience of past Fallout games ruin the rest for you. It'll likely ruin New Vegas for you as well, even if the game has better dialogue and a more solid plot than FO3, because it'll almost surely be real time, first person, and use VATS.
That's for telling me what ruins games for me, as you're an expert on me and know me so well, I'm sure you know every game I like and why.

What ruins Fallout 3 for me is the fact that it has mediocre gameplay. Again, I have no problem playing and liking games which are unfaithful to their predecessors if they are good. Some games that come to mind that do this are: Fallout Tactics, Mario 64, Final Fantasy XI (to a degree), Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Shining Tears. Whether or not they are a bad game and whether or not they are a bad/unfaithful sequel are seperate issues. Fallout 3 just so happens to be a mediocre game and a bad sequel.

zippy1 said:
And the whole experience will feel wrong because it's been infected by those Bethesda people that you say you're justified in calling names like a child.
I have a sense of humor and have no problem with insulting jokes but I generally avoid insulting them outright like a child. I generally link it with something they have said, how they said it, or something they've done. Some people are an easy target because they simply come off as douchebags whenever they talk, Todd and Pete fall into this camp and it's why I read transcripts instead of listen to them speak whenever possible. Again, it's all balance. As long as it's alright to compliment people, it's alright to criticize them, all for the same reasons and to the same degree.

zippy1 said:
As far as your extensive knowledge of game journalism, yes you're repeating the same line said over and over on NMA but those are the remote exception and not the rule. Believe it or not, almost all game journalists think that giving a game a 90 when it deserves an 80 is WRONG and won't do it. And if some executive tells him to go in and change it to a 90, then that relationship/dynamic doesn't ever last long. It's not some inherently corrupt business that is trying to make $1.00 today at any cost, not when they can make 97 cents today and keep readers coming back so they can make another 97 cents tomorrow. The kind of corruption you talk about in game journalism is highly rare and always fleeting at most.
Heh, it's more common than you know or think, methinks. I'd suggest reading Shoe's articles on it as a start, though further research is always beneficial.

zippy1 said:
Almost every Fallout 3 review posted was after the release date, and I don't know of Bethesda sending "someone out to help a journalist" play the game. Was it some other game? Where the hell did you read about this?
Every review of the game conducted pre-release, regardless if that's when it was published, was done in an expensive hotel room over the course of 16 hours with a Bethesda employee sitting right next the the journalist helping him/her through the game. Brings up the other issue of reviewers not playing a game to completion before reviewing them, an even more common problem than "favors" and bribes. PCPowerplay admitted to this and CanardPC described the exact situation and refused to publish a review after it for journalistic reasons. Chances are that if you read a review within a week of release or in the December issue of any magazine then it was done under these conditions.

zippy1 said:
Regardless, your thoughts on these lavish trips publishers send game journalists on are grossly overstated in almost all cases. Although I hear the Capcom event that went on earlier today was pretty goofy.
Again, read Shoe's article and those like it and come back to me on that. Whores, races, training classes, joy rides, trips to exotic locations, press kits, dinners, lodging expenses, travel expenses, other gifts beside press kits, etc. happen, though obviously small gifts, lodging, dinners, travel expenses, and the like are the most common.

zippy1 said:
Civilization games are strategy games, not RPGs. The rules are different. People expect something out of a slow and plodding strategy game like the Civ series
Not really, many people expect RPGs to be time consuming and involve some amount of trudging, thanks to JRPGs these days.

zippy1 said:
Civilization games are strategy games, not RPGs. The rules are different. People expect something out of a slow and plodding strategy game like the Civ series, and it's funny that they increased the pace significantly when they did Civ Rev.
Amusingly Civ Rev received worse reactions (84 on MC vs 94) and sold worse for the PC. It was a Civ game changed to have controls work better for a console and for the perceived console audience, it was simplified and changed to real time, something that it suffered for.

zippy1 said:
Nostalgia fuels a game like Chrono Trigger, plus there's the whole portable platform as well. That game would hit Virtual Console or XBLA if it was on a major console.
Oh it would be released on VC now in large part because it was already made and released many years ago (I expect to see it hit VC in a couple of years at most). It's like saying that if FF was made today that it would be released on VC, it's pretty ridiculous as it has a shit-load of assumptions which are likely wrong ranging from the gameplay to the graphics and sound. I expect the next MMX game, if one is made, to be released on a disc for at least the Wii if not all platforms despite MM9 being released for VC. Why? Because it would most likely look like MMX8 with improved graphics, and probably be about the same length as well. How about the Metal Slug games? They are released as compilation packs and on VC on both the 360 and the Wii and have done just fine. Why is it's distribution method even an issue?

zippy1 said:
I maintain that trying to make a turn-based, isometric RPG would find neither the critical nor retail success of Fallout 3. (Feel free to revert back to the "that doesn't mean it's a good game" argument)
There are people who maintain that the world is flat and you have provided just as much evidence for your argument as they have for theirs. Prove that it won't sell, ideally through pointing out a recent title that did just what you say will fail and did, though if you can come up with different equally satisfying evidence, I'll have no complaints. But you won't. How I know this is because I've seen this comment made dozens of times and have had similar conversations to this every time, and every time there is no evidence that they can find to support it.

zippy1 said:
As for the rest of your post, this notion that the "quality" of a product can be objectively measured by some kind of empirical scale with no disagreement possible is completely ridiculous. Ever disagree with one of these sites' top 100 game lists?
Who said that there wouldn't be any disagreement? Critics disagree all of the time about how good movies are but some sort of generally accepted idea ends up emerging years later. Still, games can be separated into parts and rated appropriately, some reviews do this (or claim to) and do so poorly, others do a pretty decent job of it. Agreement can be reached about how well a game does bits and pieces, for example controls, sound, music, voice acting, graphics, gameplay mechanics, etc., but the thing that will be least agreed upon is how fun a game is. Granted, the gaming press needs a complete overhaul in order to be useful but it can and is done by some folks out there.

zippy1 said:
No, on those other magical consoles which are so popular.

zippy1 said:
82% of people playing Demigod on the day it launched pirated the game.
Where's that number from?

zippy1 said:
No piracy numbers in the current console generation even remotely stack up to that.
For one particular title, you very well may be right but that's beside the point. It's like responding to someone who says that the US has the highest capital punishment rate of any industrialized nation that 15 states in the US don't use capital punishment. It's fine and dandy, but completely beside the point.

zippy1 said:
The original point, I believe, was to say that primary console development is just a reality that must be accepted, and that just about anyone trying to sell a few million copies should be doing it. Blizzard seems to be about the only developer that can serve as an exception.
You're not proving that simplifying games for consoles is justified, you simply are showing that multi-platform release is logical for companies who want to maximize profits. No person who is being reasonable has an issue with multi-platform releases, what people have issues with is "dumbing down" games in order to "appeal to the console crowd" like Civ Rev did (not what was stated but what he was getting at). I've yet to see any evidence that well designed complex games won't sell as well on consoles as they do on PC.

As far as just improving on everything in Fallout 3, of course people would hope for that. It'd be silly not to. But some here are so far gone that they think that Obsidian is better off delivering gameplay that's closer to FO1 than FO3, and that's not what they're going to do because that's a pretty piss-poor idea to implement for a game released in 2010.

So all games in 2010 must be action-packed, in-your-face FPS games? I'll get right on telling every other genre to catch the boat. Also, Diablo 3 would like a word with you about perspective. There is no reason, absolutely none that a modern game cannot be played from an isometric viewpoint, or something approximating that. And it could still be popular, easily. It can even work on consoles, I can think of a control scheme in the time it took me to write to here, one that would even work for a multi-character party system.

That is the point we are trying to make: A modern game does not have to be First-person, real-time (and personally, I'm a fan of real-time-with-pause, which gets the best of both worlds), or third-person. And in modern games, what's piss-poor is the writing, plots, and dialogue. Almost 10 years ago Warren Spector made Deus Ex because he wanted to show how most games had retarded plots with no choices and little character, and 10 years later we're in the same boat.

Besides, anyone can just order a pre-modded console for like 15€ extra and be done with it.

You haven't convinced me about anything with all these percentages and assumptions your offer no base or source for.

And how is crytek exactly focusing on consoles?
Their games won't even run on the joke that is consoles novadays.

With computers you have like 2 different mainstream brands for cpu and GFX-card. While theres obviously some compatibility issues in modern games it's really not that big of a problem. The source engine for example is a showcase of scalability.

"How many Xbox 360 owners even know how to open their console, much less buy the hardware to mod their 360s? Do you even know what it takes to mod an Xbox 360? "

Well it's a couple of screws, how hard can it be?
Takes a quick google search to find out how to do it.

"On the flip side, how many PC gamers have used file sharing?"

Reading torrent comments it would appear that most people don't even understand the concept of optical disk images and disk drive emulation software.

zippy1 said:
UnidentifiedFlyingTard said:
I'm really hoping that Beth goes back to ES, and gives Fallout to Obsidian, but I doubt that will happen, they're having them make New Vegas to silence the original Fallout Fans and to give the Fallout 3 fans something to hold them over until Fallout 4
Oh no, I'm pretty sure the "original Fallout Fans" will be plenty vocal once they see Obsidian is making something a lot closer to FO3 than what they want.

You know what's sad? You're trying to antagonize every single poster on this forum and drag them ino a pointless "debate" with you on a subject we've gone over about... two to three years ago.

zippy1 said:
Pretty sure this can be summed up with the phrase "a drop in the bucket".
I think it's more of an interest in drawing in fans of past Obsidian games, something which isn't a drop in the bucket.

zippy1 said:
Well, unless the New Vegas team is working out of their homes and living on Ramen noodles, it costs Bethesda just as much to pay Obsidian as it would to pay a Bethesda team to make the game. And those costs are significant upfront: a team of 50 people, getting paid an average of, say, $60k a year, means $3 million per year in just labor costs. Sure, it's kind of an experiment, but it's also one that Bethesda's relatively sure to come out as a successful one.
That all depends on the contract and if it's anything like FOOL then Obsidian has to pay for it completely and Bethesda gets a portion of the profits. If Bethesda decides to cancel the project then Obsidian is out of their investment with minimal financial damages to Bethesda (only those costs related to interactions with Obsidian).

zippy1 said:
Here we go with the assertion that only someone with a short attention span could like a game like Fallout 3.
Actually it was an assertion that game developers in general view their customers as having a very short attention span.

zippy1 said:
Frankly, it's goddamn sad that the biggest Fallout fansite on the internet is like this. I think the moderators should do a better job of casting out thoughtless bashing on both sides, not just on one side. But it's not like I'm the only one "bearing the torch of enlightenment" - you guys have had quite a few others try to help out, to temper the emotions, to return to reason, to realize that what you like and don't like isn't God's honest truth
Oh my, you really haven't been here long. Mods here do not pick on people who disagree with them or with the regulars on the site, hell they encourage those with opposing views to use logical arguments and provide as much support as has been provided by those with opposing view points. It's not like NMA is a hive mind, members disagree with each other frequently, hell there are people who really enjoy Fallout 3 here and people who loathed it or refused to buy it because they didn't like what they saw (some have watched a lot of gameplay video). Also, suggesting that because people disagree with you that they are over emotional and irrational is pretty ridiculous, ad hominem in fact.

zippy1 said:
to realize that what you like and don't like isn't God's honest truth, that maybe a game you don't like is actually pretty good if you start listening to everyone, and a game you do like actually kind of sucks when you start listening to everyone.
Not everyone thinks that Fallout 3 sucks, many believe that it's mediocre to average and some even believe that it's good, but many think that it's not a Fallout game. Wait a tick, are you saying that Fallout 1&2 suck?

zippy1 said:
But it's not like I'm the only one "bearing the torch of enlightenment" - you guys have had quite a few others try to help out, to temper the emotions, to return to reason, to realize that what you like and don't like isn't God's honest truth, that maybe a game you don't like is actually pretty good if you start listening to everyone, and a game you do like actually kind of sucks when you start listening to everyone. It's a pretty well-adjusted frame of mind and I think plenty of people here are quite capable of it instead of knee-jerk attempts to sling name-calling at companies like Bethesda (who are actually just trying to make a game that's the most fun for the most people).
Most people here do listen, it's just that the folks who tell "NMA" that "NMA" is wrong tend to be bloody parrots, saying the same damn things every time.

zippy1 said:
It's not too much to ask for *a* game like that, but the specific gameplay mechanics people are talking about here - not just "good writing" and "better [insert whatever here]", but the perspective, combat style, and dialog - they won't get it from New Vegas.
I agree with that.

zippy1 said:
What they're talking about is now a niche game made for niche fans. Don't expect it from Fallout anymore.
Fallout wasn't that much of a niche game, it was a game targeted at the PC RPG audience and hit that audience quite well. It's like calling DMC a niche game because it targets the action hack-n-slash crowd. Also prove that those mechanics only appeal to niche fans.

zippy1 said:
Prove that it's a piss-poor idea. I will keep asking for this as long as you continue to post it without backing it up.

zippy1 said:
Frankly, it's goddamn sad that the biggest Fallout fansite on the internet is like this. I think the moderators should do a better job of casting out thoughtless bashing on both sides, not just on one side.

Okay. You'll be the first on your way out, since you're boring and basically pathetically trying to restart an argument we've gone over repeatedly a few years back.

Want us to get on with the times? You first.

Point is, most of the users here don't like being corporate whores that bend over for every overhyped excretion of the most popular game development companies.

beverageleverage said:
I'll save everyone some time. Zippy is defending Bethesda's honor by posting "gaem salez + gud revewz = teh awesome!" and in response we declare "no, it doesn't."

Don't forget the undying love for consoles and how pc's are becoming irrelevant.

Back