Introduce yourself! AKA the "Say hello" thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Brother None, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Corbett

Corbett First time out of the vault

Feb 28, 2018
    Newbie here, lurker for a few years too though not as long as TerminallyChill above. I first found this place when I was looking for mods for Fallout 2. As an incidental, the ones I got truly enriched my experience and I'd like to say thanks, if not for making them then for fostering the community that produced them.

So, I suppose this is the part where I tell how I got into Fallout. This is a bit strange for me because while I'm not a vet, I wasn't introduced to the series through the Bethesda titles. In fact, I've only played 1,2 and New Vegas. It's out of pure stinginess I'm afraid. Picked up the originals when they were free a while back, and recently a friend gifted me New Vegas.

I've found that there is a disconnect between me and more mainline Fallout communities such as the subreddit because I come front a different place than most there. I even tried the New Vegas one, but it's a ghost town. So I figured why not join the site with the curmudgeons that prefer the only games in the series I've played?

My bad humor aside, I do have quibbles with the Bethesda design philosophy, though I come at it more as more of an Elder Scrolls fan than a Fallout one. That's probably one reason I joined, because when I hear things from over the fence they sound eerily similar to my observations about the newer TES titles. I guess I'm hoping this place may help give perspective on what exactly happened to a company I once liked and perhaps a better idea what all the battlelines in the Fallout community are about.

If I don't, nothing's lost. Still get to talk about games I like and maybe have a conversation or two about game design, I've seen how you love to have those here.

Regardless, I wish you all a hearty hello.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  2. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    Hello and welcome Corbett.

3. President_Peaches

President_Peaches First time out of the vault

Mar 4, 2018
    Though I had heard about the Fallout franchise through cultural osmosis, I didn't get into it until GOG.com had a sale on a few years ago and I bought 1 + 2 on a whim. As my favourite genre of fiction is the post-apocalyptic and dystopian (Brazil, Planet of the Apes 1968, The Handmaid's Tale, The Mad Max movies) and I find Cold War history fascinating, Fallout is definitely my cup of tea. Loved the roleplaying, storytelling and world building, loved the ultra-violence and cheesy retro vibes from Fallout 1, found the pop-culture references and sledge-hammer subtle "drugs are bad" message in Fallout 2 to be a bit cringe-inducing, but the game more than made up for it with vastly improved gameplay.

My first introduction to 3d Fallout was watching my boyfriend playing Fallout 3 on his xbox. I remember his favourite film was Independence Day and he really liked the spaceship quests because you shoot evil aliens. I thought the game looked really stupid, couldn't work out what it had to do with Fallout, and was bored to tears. Needless to say that relationship didn't last and I have never played a Bethesda Fallout.

Read that New Vegas was made by the same guys that made the originals, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, other a few nitpicks. Went to browse that subreddit to look for help with mods, but had to back away slowly when I realised that it was a den of cravens (ie edgy 14-year old Bethesda fanboys) Nice to see that the curmudgeons here aren't jumping on the "Call of Simscraft 4" bandwagon.

-Peaches

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  4. Norzan

Norzan A Smooth-Skin

Apr 7, 2017
    Welcome, President_Peaches.

I still laugh at that Lee Oliver portrait.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. TerminallyChill

TerminallyChill Be excellent to each other.

Feb 16, 2018
    God I envy you people. Glad to see this place is attracting the right crowd, though.

Enjoy your stay.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  6. Aurelius Of Phoenix

Aurelius Of Phoenix First time out of the vault

Mar 9, 2018
    Hello I'm new but I have been lurking for a little bit till I finally decided to make an account.:-)

7. Ghetto

Ghetto 1 thot, 2 thot, red thot, blue thot

Mar 8, 2018
    Oh shit, there's an introductory thread? Lemme try this shit homeboys.

Yo yo what it fucking pop, its ya boy Ghetto, and I have came here many times in the past to lurk, browse Fallout 1 and 2-related stuff and to see how OG Fallout fans kick it.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  8. ironmask

ironmask It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 10, 2018
    Hello, i'm new but i have been looking at the forums and news before making an account here. Like most people, my first introduction to fallout was fallout 3. I used to love fallout three when I think was about 11 or 10 years old even though I use to suck ass at playing the game. Then I played NV and that was alot better than fallout 3 but now that i'm older I realised how mediocre fallout 3 is and how much it sucks as a true fallout game. Though fallout 3 will always have a place in my heart for introducing me to the fallout franchise even if don't like it anymore.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  9. xKiwil

xKiwil Courier 6

Mar 18, 2018
    Hello everyone! I've been a lurker for most years and decided to finally join up! I've been apart of other forums, such as The Gunnetwork, The Nexus Forums, and would lurk the Bethesda forums here and there. Hope to be apart of a strict Fallout community, considering my love for it.

Fallout 1 was given to me as child from my parents, along with other computer discs. I never touched, it sat there and collected dust until my parents eventually threw them all out. Around the time Fallout 3 came out, I had friends at school telling me to try it as I was an avid fan of RPGs. I borrowed a copy from a close friend and played it on the Xbox 360. Absolutely bored by it, honestly. Threw him back the disc and carried on with my life until New Vegas came out. I ran that game up until about 300 hours until I said, "Alright, maybe I should go back to 3." So I did and I liked it more that time. Then I went back to 1, 2 and Tactics. I was hooked.

Fallout 4 was disappointing but none-the-less, I'm a sucker for good graphics and character customization, so I continue to play it. Shoving mods down it's throat until it becomes the RPG that I initially wanted but, so is life.

I enjoy books, music, and food also.

Call me Kiwi x

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  10. TooManyFingers

TooManyFingers Mildly dehydrated

Mar 20, 2018
    Hey, folks.
    Been lurkin' for a while now, will probably lurk a little more.
    I've played all the games over and over again, as many ways as possible (except Tactics, which I got about halfway through - I'll get back to it eventually), I still go back to some even now. I'm playing back through NV for the zillionth time.
    In order of favourites (top to bottom), 2, 1, NV, 3, 4. I figure I'm not exactly alone in that regard.
    Anyway, just a quick hello and a cheerio for now.
    Cheers,
    Fingers

11. Urban Predator

Urban Predator First time out of the vault

Jan 9, 2018
    Not an introduction, since of course that would be illogical considering the fact that I am already present.

More of an 'I'm back'.

Haven't been well for a bit, hurt my foot really badly, and to add insult to injury (or rather injury to injury it took infection, severely, and I've been immobile for a considerable time and doing not much but playing tactics and relying on repeat injections of morphine, plus regular doses of IR oxycodone, although even the additional lot of those on top of that I usually take for my joint pain(s) has more or less only let me keep myself knocked unconscious, my antiseizure meds making sure of that along with more than the occasional hefty dose of nitrazepam (a strong benzo with long duration of action)

Anyhow, I'm back. Anyone care to remind me where we were, with regards to topics being replied to or posted in at the time if they remember?

12. TheOtherManInTheRoom

TheOtherManInTheRoom First time out of the vault

Mar 28, 2018
    Hello Everyone.

Been lurking for a bit, finally decided to join. Not sure if I've seen someone like this on here, but I actually got into Fallout from Fallout 4. Had much higher opinion of that game then than I do now..... I guess it gets some credit for getting me interested in the rest of the series.

Then went to 3 (really a long route into Fallout proper) and finally NV, which I loved and lead me to discover this site, where I've been learning about the Lore (both good and bad) and what makes a good RPG (and Fallout game)

About to start playing Fallout 1 and then 2.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  13. TerminallyChill

TerminallyChill Be excellent to each other.

Feb 16, 2018
    You're basically playing the games in order of quality, depending on who you ask. Lucky you, because a lot of people experienced it the opposite way.

Welcome to the biggest Bethesda Haters Club on the internet. Glad to see the non-Synder Rorschach could make it.

14. Urban Predator

Jan 9, 2018
    I have to say, while its a lot different to the other games in the series, Tactics is another good offering, its been rather addictive of late.

I think a download of fallout 3 and the expansion packs will be next on the list. Started out with fallout I, then II, then tactics. I have to say, its rather interesting having a much better-implemented (IMO) deathclaw companion (recently recruited the deathclaw matriarch, a close-combat oriented unit, as you'd expect, exceptionally physically strong and agile, damned fast and whilst she can't use most weapons is still capable as a grenadier. Which is the role she's operating in, has a lot of AP to use in moving and fighting, and her primary attack isn't fantastic (although will experiment with the mutate! perk), using that 'weapon slot' to hold various thrown unpleasantries and having her use her dirty great big horns in combat, loaded with plenty stimpacks/super stimpacks, she's fast enough to get in close by stealth then charge an enemy, and stick those horns in a foe's eyes whilst shrugging off assault rifle blasts and let loose with a grenade, molotov cocktail etc. if needing to take on an enemy at range or behind a barrier she can't charge past)

Much more well-implemented than goris, IMO, at least, as a combat character, shows off her nature a lot better as a deathclaw rather than a hooded, robed scholar, she's the hulking great tank of a killer lizard you'd expect a deathclaw matriarch to be.

15. TrueToCaesar

TrueToCaesar First time out of the vault

Apr 1, 2018
    Hello everyone! New user but I’ve lurked here for about a year or two. Unfortunately started the series with Fallout 4 then 3, but after those I played New Vegas and the originals (still working through Tactics) and greatly preferred those 4 to the Bethesda entries. My order of favorite games is NV>1>2>Tactics>>>>>>> 3 and 4. Favorite companions are ED-E, Veronica, Marcus and Goris and my favorite factions are the Legion and the Enclave.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  16. Norzan

Norzan A Smooth-Skin

Apr 7, 2017
    Welcome, TrueToCaesar.

Nice order of favorites, very similar to mine.

17. Urban Predator

Jan 9, 2018
    Haven't played 3/4, NV or expansions of them yet, I'll download them after finishing tactics.

Of 1/2/tactics, I have to say I really like tactics. Order of preference is 1 running neck and neck in a vicious brawl for supremacy with tactics.

Then 2 last, of the ones played so far.

18. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    It's rare to see somebody who prefers Tactics over FO2.

Anyway, welcome to all the fresh meat.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  19. dmonin

dmonin Indie developer

May 2, 2018
    Hello everyone.

Underrail and F1/2 are my favorite games. I really like them. Also I'm indie developer of my turn based RPG Sands of Space.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  20. Mutant Screg

Mutant Screg Totally not a mutant

Jun 27, 2015
    I like it! Do you have a website or any other place with more info on the game?

• [Like] [Like] x 1