A possible Fallout 3 remaster?

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
HiAqRxvtKqvxzVTWSov7bA-970-80.jpg

PCGamer reports about a mysterious Bethesda placeholder on Amazon. Speculation is that it might be a Fallout 3 remaster. But who knows? It's already being discussed on our forums.

Edit: The stand by note on Amazon is already gone!

Edit 2: Altchar reports that the countdown is set for 31 December 2019.

Altchar said:
The three placeholders are set for three platforms - PC, Xbox One and PlayStation and they currently have 31 December 2019 placeholder date. There are also standard, deluxe and collector's editions listed under every platform along with a $60 price tag which is, again, Amazon's placeholder info.

While there was no mention of Fallout on these placeholders, the countdown video is the piece that hints at a potential Fallout game. The timer is similar to those used by the publisher in previous Fallout titles which may suggest that Bethesda are planning some Fallout-related announcements in the near future.

Last edited:
I don't think Bethesda is the kind of developer that would create a remake of one of their older games, but then again I guess you could count Skyrim: Special Edition.

They said they wouldn't remaster Oblivion since it would take too much effort, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't bother with Fallout 3, either.

If they're going to remaster Fallout 3, I wish they could improve a lot of things that were problematic in the original game. Not Fallout 3 with Fallout 4's system.

A true remaster would be a whole revamp of the flesh of it. Revamp the story. Revamp the map. Revamp the whole NuCanon. Make things 'fit' in this world, however that may be. More than just two settlements and a few niche ones scattered every which way or a unsustainable Mercenary army or mutant host.

That'll be a true Remaster, not just updating the graphics or porting it all to Fallout 4.

If anything, I would expect a FO3 ported to FO4's system, and using FO4's assets, except in the unique cases of certain items and character models.

*Reason being... that FO3 seems like it was a stepping stone on the way to creating games like FO4, and this is their chance to retcon the entire FO3 [transitional] gameplay.

I'll say this... It made me sick when I learned that the Homeworld remaster was done using the Homeworld 2 engine.. which imposed radically detrimental gameplay changes. :(

Last edited:
I’d rather have a Fallout 3 remaster than having had 4 or 76 exist at all.

Better yet, fuck the 3 remaster, give us Van Buren, or NV 2, or another, better, pipe dream.

I've just heard about this from It'sAGundam's Twitter. Almost every comment on Twitter that has made a post in regards to a new Fallout game in the works is; "Please God, no!" or "Please give us a Fallout not made by Bethesda!"
My guess for the reason that Bethesda is doing this is not to make amends for Seventy-Shit but to one up Obsidian before The Outer Worlds is released. The one sided dick measuring contest between Bethesda and Obsidian is just ridiculous at this point. The goodwill that they grander over the years with their fanboys is gone. Fallout 4 and Seventy-Shit are hated by most people who aren't console peasants. Fallout 3 is not exactly looked at with rose tinted glasses with most gamers, at lest not in comparison to New Vegas. Then again, Fallout 3 is still remembered fondly with Beth fanboys so this may also be Bethesda attempt to win their fanboy army back.

Then again, Fallout 3 is still remembered fondly with Beth fanboys so this may also be Bethesda attempt to win their fanboy army back.

Inb4 they play the game, quit it after first hour or so and wait for Nexus mods to come, before going out to say "best game ever".

I've just heard about this from It'sAGundam's Twitter. Almost every comment on Twitter that has made a post in regards to a new Fallout game in the works is; "Please God, no!" or "Please give us a Fallout not made by Bethesda!"
My guess for the reason that Bethesda is doing this is not to make amends for Seventy-Shit but to one up Obsidian before The Outer Worlds is released. The one sided dick measuring contest between Bethesda and Obsidian is just ridiculous at this point. The goodwill that they grander over the years with their fanboys is gone. Fallout 4 and Seventy-Shit are hated by most people who aren't console peasants. Fallout 3 is not exactly looked at with rose tinted glasses with most gamers, at lest not in comparison to New Vegas. Then again, Fallout 3 is still remembered fondly with Beth fanboys so this may also be Bethesda attempt to win their fanboy army back.
Good point! Bethesda throws their fans a bone to get back some of that good will.

Good point! Bethesda throws their fans a bone to get back some of that good will.
I am guessing they are seeing how much goodwill, praise and money Capcom was able to garner with their Resident Evil 2 remake and probably want in on that action. Difference is is that the original Resident Evil 2 is a classic and the remake improves on many things from the second Resident Evil. Capcom even did something unexpected and gave Resident Evil fans free DLC. Fallout 3 is hardly a classic in any sense. Bethesda is way too lazy to improve anything from Fallout 3 and Bethesda is way too greedy to release free DLC. When even Capcom throws fans of their franchise a bone more then you do and is less greedy then you know you done fucked up.

Can't really see it being a particular downer considering their technical aspect is easily what drags down and dates F3 and FNV the most. Even a Special Edition sort of treatment would go a long way into making them more appealing to ever replay or get into by later players. If it really were a remake or director's cut, I don't see a problem with that either, especially if it comes around tweaking the story and how it's presented, which is easily second or tied with the technicals in the list of grievances. Naturally it seems to have been a fumble of announcing something else a lot less enticing and was put down to avoid a mass fit once they saw people were legitimately expecting something as huge as even Fallout 5. So it's conjectures about something that doesn't probably even exist yet.

Even a Special Edition sort of treatment would go a long way into making them more appealing to ever replay or get into by later players.
Even if it involves shoehorning the FO3 campaign into the FO4 engine—and gameplay?

Even if it involves shoehorning the FO3 campaign into the FO4 engine—and gameplay?
That’s a sickening thought. I don’t even like 3 that much and the idea of another Beth Fallout being like vanilla 4 makes me deeply uncomfortable. Don’t get me wrong, 4 is my guilty pleasure admittedly, but going over to its format for all Fallout games is just disturbing

Back