Actual, turn-based strategy X-Com sequel in the works

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
XCOM: Enemy Unknown.<blockquote>Unlike 2K Marin's previously announced XCOM shooter, which sparked tempers among longtime fans for turning its back on the series' cerebral roots, this title is a full-on strategy game that puts players in command of a global anti-alien defense force. XCOM's leader needs a worldwide perspective where threats are identified, populations reassured, and national leaders mollified – but a tactical mind is just as critical considering every shot XCOM's soldiers fire on the battlefield is under the player's turn-based control.

"It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."</blockquote>

My eyes just got a little misty. I thought you were talking about CARTEL at first, but this is the real full on thing!

Heard about it already. Pretty cool, tensed about how it will turn out.

Wonder if by turn-based with real-time elements, they mean something like Valkyria Chronicles.

Basically, on a characters turn you control them in real-time until they run out of actions to carry out and then you move onto the next guy.

It'd be interesting to see, but I'm not sure if it'd work as well as it did with Valkyria Chronicles.

I hope they go the valkyria route, love both games. I'd say they would need to tweak it, such as a cap on max command points/unit/turn or ammo limits for soldiers with rifles.

That being said, some of the best parts of all of the XCom games was the R&D, personnel and base management features, so hopefully there is a strong focus on that.

Just making a Tactical game would be really selling us short.

trite said:
I bet it will be fully realtime

Too much of a challenge to click on a link? The article itself details "the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat". We'll hear more later, but it sounds close to how X-COM did it with a real-time (with pause) world map and turn-based combat.

XCom: the UnBetrayal? well it seems that 2K is gonna lose a lot of money with their XCom game, I have only heard negative publicity towards it, the previews make it look ugly and generic and now they will probably be compared with the other Xcom game that follows closer the previous ones (it seems)

fedaykin said:
I'm sceptical. Something tells me there will be some sort of "but".

Ah, that's cynicism talking. Relax, It'll work out yaar

I've never played X-Com (and don't really plan to) but I'm glad they are going to make both the old fans happy and the new people.

Sabirah said:
fedaykin said:
I'm sceptical. Something tells me there will be some sort of "but".

Ah, that's cynicism talking. Relax, It'll work out yaar

I've never played X-Com (and don't really plan to) but I'm glad they are going to make both the old fans happy and the new people.
well you can count with your fingers the numbers of "turn based" games made by a western game developer. They have largely the feeling that turn based is dead. So many (me included) are rather skeptical to see a well done turn based game. A few are really good. Like Silent Storm. But those are far to rare.

And usually a game made with real time and turn based does not work. It cant work. Because turn based HAS to suffer when it is combined with real time gameplay. How so ? Well the idea of turn based is a completely different one then real time. What I mean is not the conection with a real time map or something - see jagged alliance and Fallout 1 for example. What I mean is only the combat. I mean it is like the try to combine some off road bicycle with a motor cross bike trying to get the best of both worlds. Not possible. One experience will suffer.

Sweet. So sweet.

Fingers crossed.

X-Com is one of my all time favourites.

Obviously this has been in development for a long time. But marketing decided to go with the FPS, pissed everyone off, changed XCOM to be Mass Effect 2, release XCOM on the same day as Mass Effect 3. Marketing.

Anyway they need to bring the '-' back for the real game.

His gun is big and chunky enough for to not pass this up. However his armour isn't 90's and purple so I am still skeptical.
:V

Crni Vuk said:
What I mean is not the conection with a real time map or something - see jagged alliance and Fallout 1 for example. What I mean is only the combat. I mean it is like the try to combine some off road bicycle with a motor cross bike trying to get the best of both worlds. Not possible. One experience will suffer.

X-COM was a real-time map + turn-based combat. Presumably this sequel would do the same thing.

Back