Adapting Van Buren (Workshop - Complete on Page 30)

Ok, I've now actually completed the icons with the addition of Denver.

rect3355.png

As a little cherry on top, here's the current prime iteration of the map with icons and names added on.

text129835-2.png

And as a little comparison, here's a (slightly lower resolution) version with some of the topography filters I've been using. Let me know your thoughts.

rect846-6.png

Ok, I've now actually completed the icons with the addition of Denver.

View attachment 19969

As a little cherry on top, here's the current prime iteration of the map with icons and names added on.

View attachment 19970

And as a little comparison, here's a (slightly lower resolution) version with some of the topography filters I've been using. Let me know your thoughts.

View attachment 19971

Absolutely fantastic work. I can't thank you enough. My one thing is that Fort Hope is between the two - to the West and not the East, and I think it would be more beneficial to leave the green circles for minor locations since they seem to obscure your wonderful faction icons.

Absolutely fantastic work. I can't thank you enough. My one thing is that Fort Hope is between the two - to the West and not the East, and I think it would be more beneficial to leave the green circles for minor locations since they seem to obscure your wonderful faction icons.
So you're happy with the filter effects on the second, at least as far as topography is concerned?

And I put it more east because I figured it would make sense since to put it a hex further west would place it in mountains, which seems like an odd spot for a gas station, but it's NBD.

And would you get any use out of 'subhexes' dividing each hex into 4, or would that be pointless?

So you're happy with the filter effects on the second, at least as far as topography is concerned?

And I put it more east because I figured it would make sense since to put it a hex further west would place it in mountains, which seems like an odd spot for a gas station, but it's NBD.

And would you get any use out of 'subhexes' dividing each hex into 4, or would that be pointless?

Yes although I am going to stretch my tendrils out to try and hire an artist to render the map in full Fallout 1/2 style to then apply your icons and grid on, I will see where that takes us.

E.g
zjwwebktt8251.jpg

And subhexes would probably do more harm than good. They exist primarily to let players know how many days of travel a place will require. As for Fort Hope, remember that's the Adobe western style fort, the gas station was just a random place of retreat.

As always though, I am highly appreciative of the work you've put into supporting my ideas both creatively and with this Photoshop work.

Yes although I am going to stretch my tendrils out to try and hire an artist to render the map in full Fallout 1/2 style to then apply your icons and grid on, I will see where that takes us.

E.gView attachment 19980

As always though, I am highly appreciative of the work you've put into supporting my ideas both creatively and with this Photoshop work.
Oh gotcha, that would look much better than anything I'm capable of producing.

And the same for me. I think if we could find someone to do it we'd have really put together something real wizard here.
Let me know when you find someone, I can give you all the notes on the best dimensions and things of that nature. And if you don't know anyone personally, I'd recommend looking through the Cartography section of DeviantArt, lot of talented artists on there who do maps for commission.

Also I think I'm going to start doing non-Vasult Boy icons for more minor locations.

Let me know when you find someone, I can give you all the notes on the best dimensions and things of that nature. And if you don't know anyone personally, I'd recommend looking through the Cartography section of DeviantArt, lot of talented artists on there who do maps for commission.

Also I think I'm going to start doing non-Vasult Boy icons for more minor locations.

I just put up a post on /r/hungryartists

I was thinking for minor locations using New Vegas style icons might be best.

At a minimum you could use them for the setting PDF

I'm using the icons regardless and if the hungry artists posts fall through I will just use your map for the actual campaign, or when my PC is built try and master Photoshop-Jitsu and give it my own go.

I should clarify the reason I stray away from topography style maps is because whilst in New Vegas it works because you can see everything around you - in Fallout 1/2 and in a PnP campaign it gives the imagination a canvas/idea of what the Wasteland looks like. Sweeping deserts,. Et cetera

I'm using the icons regardless and if the hungry artists posts fall through I will just use your map for the actual campaign, or when my PC is built try and master Photoshop-Jitsu and give it my own go.

I should clarify the reason I stray away from topography style maps is because whilst in New Vegas it works because you can see everything around you - in Fallout 1/2 and in a PnP campaign it gives the imagination a canvas/idea of what the Wasteland looks like. Sweeping deserts,. Et cetera
I no, I knew (or at least supposed) you'd be using the faction icons regardless, I was just referring to these new icons/art pieces. Basically I made a handful of 'extra' icons while making the faction icons (Interstate 80 sign, Poseidon oil logo, and a Solitaire gas station sign) and decided it would be fun to make non-PIP-Boy icons for other locations.

And yeah I agree, a 1/2 style map would be much cooler.

I no, I knew (or at least supposed) you'd be using the faction icons regardless, I was just referring to these new icons/art pieces. Basically I made a handful of 'extra' icons while making the faction icons (Interstate 80 sign, Poseidon oil logo, and a Solitaire gas station sign) and decided it would be fun to make non-PIP-Boy icons for other locations.

And yeah I agree, a 1/2 style map would be much cooler.

Having stuff like highway icons would be cool since highways have mechanical usage in gameplay, marking Long 15, I-40, I-80, I-70 would be cool. But yeah if that's where your creativity is taking you go crazy and we can add them onto whatever map we use at the end.

Had a bunch of artist inquiries. One very promising one from a digital illustrator who wants to do it from scratch using your topographical map as reference to recreate the artificial style of the OG Fallout maps.

Also decided I'll make a new thread when all of this is done so we can just keep this thread as the flow of ideas and have a clean new one for the finished product. Not sure what I'll call the thread.

Fallout: Van Buren, A PnP Campaign Worldbook

Something like that. Not sure how I'll include the OST ambiance in a PDF (posting a link versus just listing the song) since I felt that was important to the mood, but I'll find a way.

Also decided I'll make a new thread when all of this is done so we can just keep this thread as the flow of ideas and have a clean new one for the finished product. Not sure what I'll call the thread.

Fallout: Van Buren, A PnP Campaign Worldbook

Something like that. Not sure how I'll include the OST ambiance in a PDF (posting a link versus just listing the song) since I felt that was important to the mood, but I'll find a way.
If its a PDF and not a physical book I assume you should be able to hyperlink it - so post the album art or something and the title of the song and have it link you to the youtube or whatever

Back