Best Fallout game

What is the best fallout game that you have played?

• Fallout

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Fallout Tactics: BoS

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Fallout : BoS/PoS you choice

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 42 30.4%
  • Fallout Shelter ( I know, for completeness)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Fallout 4

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
God, what a tough choice. Fallout and Fallout 2 have the best gameplay of course. Fallout has the better story and best atmosphere, but my god is Fallout 2 fun. So much to do, so many interesting quests and people. But then there's also Fallout New Vegas, my modern gaming love. It has Bethesda's garbage engine and gameplay, but it not only balances the more whacky elements of Fallout 2 perfectly with the atmospheric tone of Fallout, but also tells the second best story and introduces the best characters introduced to the series.

Really can't decide at the moment. Really tempted by Fallout 2, just for the glorious gaming experience, but my artistic integrity demands Fallout or Fallout New Vegas. Should probably get round to playing Tactics as well, so maybe it isn't fair for me to vote yet.

I enjoy all of the main ones except for Fallout 4 but if I had to choose... Well for a while I would've said Fallout: New Vegas but it really depends on what I want at the time. New Vegas is incredible but it's such a damn commitment. If I play through FNV, I have to get a good ending and play through at least Lonesome Road and Honest Hearts, that means I'm going to be spending a hell of a lot of time playing it, probably a month or two if I'm committed. If I want a quick Fallout fix, I play Fallout 1 because it's perfectly paced. I'd compare Fallout 1 to watching a movie and playing New Vegas to watching an entire series that feels padded out, like the boomers area is pretty slow and fetch questy. I honestly have to say that Fallout 1 is my favorite for now at least, but it's almost a tie.

FO2 and FO3 are both good for almost complete opposite reasons. Amazing ending vs sloppy ending, poor intro vs great intro, occasional comedy/sillyness vs almost completely dead serious, too hard vs too easy and quality world building vs poor effort in world building. I might give the edge to FO2 but I'm honestly not sure. I'll possibly get some shit for this... but I think Fallout 2 really needed either quest markers or a better journal, probably more than any RPG I've played. I know the game really well now since I've played it 3 times but in the past it got pretty confusing, a lot more than Fallout 1 which had pretty straight forward objectives. Compare that to a murder mystery in New Reno with almost no journal along with a crazy amount of side quests, it can get pretty bad. I can forgive them because FO2 was kind of rushed but I think FO2 could've been a way better game if they had more time and better direction. I'll do my next playthrough with the restored content pack... but yeah, Fallout 2 wins, best ending in the series, better final impression. I never gave FOT a chance but the hour I spent with it left me feeling underwhelmed.

FO1>FNV>>FO2>FO3>>>>>FO4 FOT??

I would not only rate FNV my favorite Fallout, but probably my favorite game of all time. I think the western theme in games is seriously lacking, and while New Vegas is post apocalyptic I think it still captures that old west vibe perfectly. I have almost 1100 hours into New Vegas and still have no problem firing it up at any time for a run through. It's true that vanilla FNV has a lot flaws due to a shit game engine and time constraints, but it's still hands down the best time I can have in a game.

Fallout 2 is my favorite in the series especially with the restoration patch. I admittedly came in from the Bethesda era, but I knew about Fallout before FO3 and saw one of the older Interplay titles played by a friend years ago. After FO3, I got the first two Fallout's by chance for free on GOG, and while they were hard as shit to get into, I pushed though really for the sake of learning about the story of the west coast without having to resort to the wiki for cheap spoilers. New Vegas is the closest we'll ever get to having the same quality and care that Interplay/Black Isle put into the Fallout universe IMO.

New Vegas is the best because you can really decide the fate of the Mojave. For me I killed every leader of every major faction, destroyed every NCR and Legion camps I could find, nuked the only 2 ways in and out of the Mojave, and destroyed every drug trader I could find, and then became the only drug trafficker in the Mojave.

This is why New Vegas will always be my favorite.

I honestly prefer New Vegas out of the whole bunch. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the originals, but New Vegas is just special to me. I think it's because it's the first game in the series where I went "Wow, Fallout's one of the greatest gaming series ever!" Before NV my only experience with the series was FO3. Plus there's the fact that in NV there's SO many things you can change. I know you can change a lot in FO2 more, but I just feel like the impact is more noticeable in NV. For instance, like getting the BOS and the NCR to sign a peace agreement, and after that, BOS members show up at Hoover Dam to help you fight. It's the little things like that. I feel like I have a much bigger impact on the world than the previous titles.

That and I kinda prefer first person/third person to isometric. I don't mind isometric, I love the original Fallouts, Wasteland 2, and PoE, but I was raised on 1st and 3rd person games and it's just what I'm used to. I feel more at home with those rather than isometric.

New Vegas is the best because you can really decide the fate of the Mojave. For me I killed every leader of every major faction, destroyed every NCR and Legion camps I could find, nuked the only 2 ways in and out of the Mojave, and destroyed every drug trader I could find, and then became the only drug trafficker in the Mojave.

This is why New Vegas will always be my favorite.
You have not played Fallout 2 then.

New Vegas by far. It's immersive world with choose your own adventure thing just like Bethesda bequeathed combined with what made Fallout unique. You know, writing, quest design, humour, aestetic (yes) and even high tier DLCs. Sure it doesn't have random encounters but on the switch side there's a Wild Wasteland perk. I know it's biased but I can't stand so much humour flood in F2 (the game itself felt like that nervous comic in Shark Club, geez). And Main Quest can't stand against FNV's one in my opinion.

Last edited:
New Vegas overall because of the options given to the player and the way the different parts of it's world tie together.
Fallout 1 would be a very close second for the same reasons.
Fallout 2 is too much "lulz" for me and a number of locations don't really fit in with the rest of the game's world. Of course, it's still one of the best RPGs.

Fallout is the best Fallout title IMO.

(But as was mentioned earlier in the thread, Fallout 2 has a lot more to do, and IMO gameplay-wise it's just as good as Fallout, but includes the fixes that should have been in Fallout.)

Fallout 2 for me, but mostly for the merit of having played it already a couple of times before getting my hands on the first game.

The rest of the series is more like a series of spinoffs in a variety of qualities. NV was a relatively good sport, but not good enough.

Last edited:
Fallout most definitely. It has the best Fallout villains (Master & Lou), the best location (The Glow) and the best atmosphere.

Fallout for me, I was blown away by the tone and atmosphere of the title and I played it after 3 and New Vegas. When I think of post-apocalyptic adventure my mind instantly thinks of the Fallout 1 soundtrack. I loved playing this game and seeing what they accomplished with the technology of the time and it changed my perceptions of what makes a good fallout game after playing.

New Vegas is a close second and the one ill probably play more often due to its more action oriented gameplay and modern conveniences. I like it conversely for how it portrays the development of new societies in this post apocalypse world on the "frontier" as it is. The way the different societies express their identities and ideals is amazing, and the players actions helping to shape both them an the region is really great storytelling.

Wanna revisit the thread with the title not found here in poll which I found best so far: fan-made TC Fallout: Nevada. For best quest design in a series (on par with Vegas or sometimes even better) plus classic engine with it's all advantages/disadvantages but tweaked. And even skills are make more sense and use. Even soundtrack is distinct and quite good. Sadly most of it is not on youtube anymore. But here's one example. (this 'of' is excess, old title, long story)

Back