Bethesda announces E3 conference, Fallout 4 rumors heat up

Not just the selection of very boring locations Lexx that design wise were bad, but also the closed off buildings, and lots and lots of pointless filler.
To be honest, Fallout New Vegas suffered from that as well and I can not blame the designers for that.
You have a big map where next to story and quest related locations you also have to add other stuff just to show that it not goes unused, but it leads to all of these little locations and places that don't serve much of a purpose other than picking up loose stuff.

The old map node system allowed for more well designed self contained maps. You can still have the story/quest locations which are surrounded by lesser places like abandoned buildings, caves etc, but you don't have to fill all the space between settlements and locations with pointless fluff.
Just perhaps a few things that might be off interest like an abandoned house, a farm, or an old turned over truck which would be their own micro maps.

Hey guys, it's @Lexx. Hey, like @Lexx. @Lexx is alive. Hey! Yeah!

I've recently read somewhere that some leaked earlier build of FO3 had a game date set some 30 years after the War, maybe even less. Can somebody confirm that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Atomkilla,

I have heard that rumor too though I don't recall where.

I guess they would have to do some changes, the BOS for example and the Super Mutants would have to go as neither make sense, especially at this particular time. (The CW version of Super Mutants just have to go in any case as far as I am concerned)
So instead all those power armored men and women would perhaps be the remnants of the National Guard or such, that would be a better reason to explain why they try to defend what little civilization is left and help out the scientists of Rivet City.

But even if they used this, making Fallout 3 a prequel, most major locations like Megaton, Canterbury Commons and so on really would have to be designed better.
As others have suggested on the forum, either a community at that super market or at Fairfax ruins for example.

I don't believe in that rumor either, but if, hypothetically, there was a case of earlier build being set at a different timeline that's closer to the actual War, much of world's characteristics and geography would make more sense - such as the general emptiness of the CW, lack of civilization and trade routes, the fact that buildings are still standing (I particularly hated that one - buildings such as those in DC wouldn't survive that long exposed to the elements alone without any maintenance, even without nuclear war to wreck them - same problem has occured in FNV too, though that one has at least some merit because of House defending the city from nukes) and many other details. Hell, all those posters advertising Vault-Tec would be long one by the 30th year mark, not to mention after 200 years.

But I'm basically repeating arguments against FO3 which have been brought up ages ago.

Point of all this is that, as we all know, were FO3 set at an earlier time period, it would take less work to fix it. BoS and Super Mutants are a problem, yes, but if you would remove those two and add something else (National Guard is a good idea), you'd get a lot more cohesive and coherent setting than the actual. In theory.

But yeah, I call bullshit on that rumor too.

Honestly, at this point I would rather have Obsidian make a Fallout knock-off that is everything the Fallout series should've been.

He actually just recently said on Twitter that he pitched the idea of having their own conference at E3.

Maybe I am the only one, but at this point I am really really bored by Bethesda. And I don't say this because of F3 or what ever. No I mean their "we don't tell anything" attitude. Sheesh, would it kill them to say if they are working on F4 or the next Elder Scrolls or what ever? I mean of course no one can really expect details, but it is obvious that they are working on SOMETHING, and what else could they be working on outside of Fallout or the Elder Scrolls really?

Control Freakin’

Guerrilla marketing, rumor milling aside …

Tight fisting shepherding of “official” buzz content is the way this corporation rolls.

Recall in ‘merica, in the free exchange of capital for votes, corporations have free speech rights, which may or may not exploit ‘the right to remain silent’,

allowing dispersant / desperate : odes / nodes of the vox populi to exhaust its’ own time and material in emotional stoking of the grand echo chamber.

Corporate entitlement commands this ‘free ride’. :salute:

So fan it up, fan it good … ;)

4too

Last edited by a moderator:
and what else could they be working on outside of Fallout or the Elder Scrolls really?
Dishonored, Rage, Doom or something entirely new, but yeah, it's probably Fallout or TES

All of those games you mentioned have been as far as I know published by Bethesda, only TES and Fallout have been really developed by Bethesda in the recent years, even The Elder Scrolls Online was made by a different team. I think. So my bet is if they are working on something than it would be either some kind of Sequel to Skyrim set in a different setting - rumors say it might be Blackmarsh, or Fallout 4.

Yeah, they could be working on something completely new as well. It is a possibility after all. But in my eyes it is unlikely, Bethesda is a one-trick-pony. The team around Todd Howard that is. And this trick is since Oblivion to create an open-world hiking simulator.

Well, if they do announce a game developed by Bethesda... My guess is Fallout 4.
Although, Doom 4 has been in development for a while now with scenes being shown to some people, so that's also a possibility.
If it's Fallout 4, well, I won't get my hopes up too much, but I also won't condemn the game before I played it. If they learned a few lessons from New Vegas and Skyrim, it could be a nice game.
I certainly enjoyed Skyrim quite a bit, despite its weaknesses it was a lot of fun to play.
We'll see. I sure hope they'll improve the writing in Fallout 4, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Oh yeah, loved that game's visual style, and the gameplay was really nice, too. And it's fresh enough (as a franchise) that a sequel would be welcome.

There were some sequel rumors a while ago, something about a country referenced in game being the new would-be setting.

Hey guys, it's @Lexx. Hey, like @Lexx. @Lexx is alive. Hey! Yeah!

I've recently read somewhere that some leaked earlier build of FO3 had a game date set some 30 years after the War, maybe even less. Can somebody confirm that?

I read occasionally, but NMA usually runs annoyingly slow for me since the forum change, so I kind of stopped checking in every day... Also, most sadly, I kind of can't get used to the new forum theme. I find it somewhat hard to read / not easy to scroll over for new posts.

As far as I can remember, the 30 years after war thing was a rumor or a Bethesda dev mentioned it in one of the many interviews. In any case, it would make a lot sense in the game world if you take out Harold and that stuff. Keep in mind that some Bethesda dude back in the days also talked about how Bethesda works on their games- not really having fixed / huge design docs, and making a lot shit up while they are going. This could be another indication: As they continued to throw ideas into the pot, the backstory had to be adjusted in order to support all the new fancy.

Yup, new forum runs like a shit on my prehistorical machine. Unlike the older one, this version of vBulletin doesn't work with JavaScript and cookies disabled, which sucks. I miss that old piece of junk too, despite its security issues and whatnot. :look:

As far as I can remember, the 30 years after war thing was a rumor or a Bethesda dev mentioned it in one of the many interviews. In any case, it would make a lot sense in the game world if you take out Harold and that stuff. Keep in mind that some Bethesda dude back in the days also talked about how Bethesda works on their games- not really having fixed / huge design docs, and making a lot shit up while they are going. This could be another indication: As they continued to throw ideas into the pot, the backstory had to be adjusted in order to support all the new fancy.

At this point I believe they don't even do a concept phase with their games. Todd is using the money that would usually end up for a concept phase, throwing a huge party full with classy and expensive hookers and drugs at his home with all the devs and while sniffing cocain out of a hookers *** they simply implement everything into the game they came up with on the brain-storming-party.

It would explain some things.

Reactions: mef
or they're just used to make fantasy worlds, where stuff doesn't have to make sense and no one will care, but that sadly doesn't work in science-fiction.

I think it will not be Fallout 4, it will be Dishonored 2 or maybe Doom 4 but they can release some teaser for the next Fallout after their presentation, in fact, anything that can shred some light on the issue would be good.

Talking about E3, when it will take place?

Back