"Bethesda presents...Oblivion 2"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends, I yet have to see a REALLY great mod for Oblivion. Now dont get me wrong I am sure there are many very skilled people which did cool things for the game. But seriously ... I am not sure what "transforers car" in oblivion or "flying dragons" will help me that much. Regardless how awesome it looks.

How is that old saying. Bugs can be fixed eventualy. Gameplay maybe modded. But a crap story stays usualy for ever ...

Maybe if ther would be a total conversion for Oblivoin. But usualy 90% of the Oblivoin mods are just either colour changes or god like items for the god like character. Similar to Fallout 3 where you have thousands of nude mods and stuff which is rather cosmetic (how many power armors with pink,red,green colour ...)

I am a bit worried that they might ruin the Steampunk subgenre or just make it look plain dumb...nothing is sacred...

Seriously, first they necromize Fallout, now they might rape Arcanum...or at least steal much of it...

Well, they had steampunk in Morrowind.
And I think that a game set during the First Council War could be cool.
It would end with the disappearance of the dwemer, but as the disapparence was never really explained, the possibilites would be humongous. Siding with the chimer, or the dwemer, or just noone.
Well, won't happen, doesn't matter.
I doubt that Bethesda will rape Arckanum.

Yes but Morrowind was old Bethesda. They are on the Dark Side of the Force now...

First council war would be very awesome indeed though.

I would also enjoy a TES game in the Blackmarsh, since Argonians are my favourite race.

Crni Vuk said:
depends, I yet have to see a REALLY great mod for Oblivion.

Nehrim is the best Oblivion mod. It actually changes the whole game as good as it was possible. The quest design isn't the best and the dialogues are somewhat bullshit as well, but it's still a lot better than the vanilla game.

Regardless of what the story of the next game will be, I always have this engine and it's limitations stuck into my head... there just can't become anything really good out of it.

Wonder if it will have object shadows this time tho'.

I don't remember getting stuck in seams so much In Morrowind as encountering some annoying bug or design issue that would render quests unsolvable.

And yes, those Cliffracers were freaking hell even with a mod that reduced their numbers.

One piece of good news regarding Oblivion 2 that I can think of is that Arkane is supposedly working with Bethesda on it (Zenimax bought Arkane and there was some talk of them working with Beth). If they incorporate some combat ideas from Dark Messiah, at least it won't suck as much as Oblivion's did. Not saying it won't suck but not as much.

Noone actually said it's going to be called Oblivion 2. Most likely it won't.

I would be surprised, for one. Even though it's easy to say that it might be called Oblivion 2, of course Bethesda wants to associate it with "LOL ELDER SCROLLS GAMEZ."

This is unbelievable, ever since playing morrowind in 2004, i've hoped of a game in Skyrim (because of Solstheim in bloodmoon I got hooked) or Black Marsh (worms that allow you to walk through them as transport take me there!), but now i'm going to have to add more years to the 6 years i've already been waiting, don't mind me as all of the rpg's I like are slowly and painfully murdered by bethesda, before I know it AC Brotherhood and Red Dead will be bought by Bethesda and renamed Red Dead Daedra and Assassins' Creed Megaton.

Faceless_Stranger said:
Hmmm... thinking about it now... is Beth copying Infinity Ward's naming pattern?

Elder Scrolls 5: Oblivion 2

I think First Blood invented confusing naming patterns.

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood II
Rambo III (First Blood III?)

Crni Vuk said:
Well Bethesda is to RPGs what Taco Bell is to Mexican food.
Looks tasty, initially delicious and appealing, and a bit of a guilty pleasure... until you realise that warm feeling in your stomach is actually your body temperature rapidly increasing as fever onsets, you black out, and wake up with stomach cancer in a pool of your own blood, vomit and shame?

Yeah that was pretty much my experience with Oblivion and Fallout 3 too.

As for "Oblivion 2", well, let's just say that the bar is pretty low. I can put up with paper-thin gameplay mechanics if they at least offer up an appealing world to explore, a relatively bug-free play experience, and truly next-generation technology that doesn't suffer from horrible AI problems, microstutters, crashes and terrible character animations. So in other words, I don't think I'll be buying it.

UncannyGarlic said:
As a side note, I think that the TES experience system of having to use a skill in order to improve it is complete shit. It's a system which sounds good but doesn't work in practice, especially when you have skills associated with movement (jumping, running, falling, etc.).
The system itself isn't the problem, it's the implementation. Bethesda fucked it up by linking non-combat skills like Alchemy to player level, and in turn linked that to the level scaling in the rest of the world. Combine that with the cap on attribute bonuses per-level, with extra skill increases not carrying over to the next level-up, and you have a system which isn't just totally unbalanced and broken, but actually requires substantial metagaming knowledge to truly take advantage of. That a system intended to minimise grinding and metagaming actually made it necessary for all but the most casual of players is a pretty glaring example of how Bethesda are full of great ideas and absolutely pants at actually executing them.

Well said. Personaly I also had a neverending headache while exploring Megaton.
I enterd TES too with Morrowind and I liked it very much. I expected Oblivion to be a better even more thought out and complex manifestation of it. I thought hey, this was very nice and surly next time they will top it. Ooooh I am so exited about Oblivion. After playing it for two hours it was more like......huh ?

Basicaly its the same like I said/thought after Phantom Menace. Huh ?

sea said:
UncannyGarlic said:
As a side note, I think that the TES experience system of having to use a skill in order to improve it is complete shit. It's a system which sounds good but doesn't work in practice, especially when you have skills associated with movement (jumping, running, falling, etc.).
The system itself isn't the problem, it's the implementation. Bethesda fucked it up by linking non-combat skills like Alchemy to player level, and in turn linked that to the level scaling in the rest of the world. Combine that with the cap on attribute bonuses per-level, with extra skill increases not carrying over to the next level-up, and you have a system which isn't just totally unbalanced and broken, but actually requires substantial metagaming knowledge to truly take advantage of. That a system intended to minimise grinding and metagaming actually made it necessary for all but the most casual of players is a pretty glaring example of how Bethesda are full of great ideas and absolutely pants at actually executing them.
That wasn't as much of a problem in Morrowind, as things didn't scale to your level nearly as much... and there was no cap on the effects of potions. Wanna fortify you're blade by 2000 points? You were able.

Well, the books take place at least forty years after Oblivion. So I think the rumor's bullshit...

I don't place all blame on Bethesda for the ruin, not even close, as they're just the ZeniBabbitt. Had Redguard made them money enough to stay independent...

well I do blame Todd and Emil somewhat for how it came out. Maybe they just get the order to do what they did. But considering many of Todds comments I somehow really believe he made the game he wanted to play. ~ not to mention many ofthe wrong comments regarding the awesome Radiant AI before the game was released.

I mean I really was surprised by the videos but the comments ...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez1on9R_O9M[/youtube]
200 dungeons all hand made of course ?

And of course my favourite. The NEW radiant AI system ;)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg&feature=related[/youtube]
I think its blatant lieing what happend there. But thats MY oppinion.

When I listen to him it sounds like we have here someone who disslikes RPGs for beeing RPGs but he loves the setting (like fantasay or post-apocalypse with Fallout), so he is changing them from RPGs to action games. Because you know, an deep fantasy is killing stuff with a sword on a horse back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXHvvtE_npQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Maybe they get told to make money but the details probably have been left to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back