Can you really call yourself a Fallout fan if you love Fallout 4, honestly?

Yeah, maybe so. I don't think it stops you from still liking F4 or makes you less of a fan if you still like and enjoy it. 60% of my enjoyment of Beth games is what's happening in my head while I play. I can like this and still be a fan of the originals I think. I don't consider Beth stuff cannon or anything it's just what we currently have.

How can you get into the lore of the series while also taking Bethesda Fallout's lore into consideration? The only way to be into the lore of the series is to ignore the Bethesda Fallouts and only acknowledge the first two games and New Vegas.

I kind of like some quests in Fallout 3, some of them feel canon enough to me that I could consider them part of my personal interpretation of the lore.

How can you get into the lore of the series while also taking Bethesda Fallout's lore into consideration? The only way to be into the lore of the series is to ignore the Bethesda Fallouts and only acknowledge the first two games and New Vegas.
I think I lost my hopes for any potential new fallout game when Redditors rated Preston Garvey as a better character than Joshua Graham or Marcus.

I kind of like some quests in Fallout 3, some of them feel canon enough to me that I could consider them part of my personal interpretation of the lore.
Yeah my favourite was 'head of the state'. Didn't like the way it ended though. The document is just going to museum, nothing special. I liked the android quest. Big Town and Paradise Falls was the most desolate and fallout-ish town.

I think I lost my hopes for any potential new fallout game when Redditors rated Preston Garvey as a better character than Joshua Graham or Marcus.
If we needed more evidence that Fallout Reddit is a place filled with dumbasses.

I think if you love it on its own, as its own game, for what it presents then yes, you can call yourself a Fallout fan. I don't think it actually presents anything new or interesting as a game but I can see some people liking it on that merit. If you think it's the best (or even a good game) within the franchise, then I think you're huffing the stupid gas and need to sit the fuck down.

I personally just find it... fucking boring? I can never get immersed or interested and just drift away no matter whether I mod the game to be a crazy, wacky gun hell or if I install really immersive stuff that's meant to make the game realistic.

Really what's happening even more densely is massive franchises all falling down the same path of open world - with - light rpg mechanics. Assassin's creed and god of war are no stranger to that, the branching skills mechanic has been reused and recycled to the point where it almost seems like a gimmick.

We definitely see that with fallout 76 with the dumb card perk system, but when you put fo 4 next to all these games, it really doesn't seem so bad. When I first played fallout 4 I loved it cause the world looked unique, unlike any other contemporary exploration game I've played. Sure the rpg elements were less prevalent than other installations in the series and the dialogue was hella watered down but taken the state of rpg's it was more than my 13 year old brain could have asked for.

That isn't to say I still like the game after having played older entries in the franchise but it's going to feel special just for introducing me to the rest of the series, and for that it deserves to be called a fallout game (a bad one at that) and people who like it to be called fallout fans.

Who I don't think should be called a fallout fan is one who doesn't like the authentic traits of the original games and only likes fo4 since it really is missing the character and DNA of fallout (whatever Todd says)

Really what's happening even more densely is massive franchises all falling down the same path of open world - with - light rpg mechanics. Assassin's creed and god of war are no stranger to that, the branching skills mechanic has been reused and recycled to the point where it almost seems like a gimmick.

We definitely see that with fallout 76 with the dumb card perk system, but when you put fo 4 next to all these games, it really doesn't seem so bad. When I first played fallout 4 I loved it cause the world looked unique, unlike any other contemporary exploration game I've played. Sure the rpg elements were less prevalent than other installations in the series and the dialogue was hella watered down but taken the state of rpg's it was more than my 13 year old brain could have asked for.

That isn't to say I still like the game after having played older entries in the franchise but it's going to feel special just for introducing me to the rest of the series, and for that it deserves to be called a fallout game (a bad one at that) and people who like it to be called fallout fans.

Who I don't think should be called a fallout fan is one who doesn't like the authentic traits of the original games and only likes fo4 since it really is missing the character and DNA of fallout (whatever Todd says)

Not having a budget for games and really REALLY hating the concept of open world games, what made Fallout 4 "look different?" Was it JUST that it wasn't green and verdant as opposed to say Far Cry....4 which I think was the one out at the same time? Other than dead grass and trees and mutated bullshit animals (which you're gonna get in 65% of open world games) what else made it destinct?

This gate keeping of the fandom is what fractures fan bases and makes shitty games and movies. Now I would rather a kid play Fallout 4 than Fallout 76 so it really is all about decreasing returns on your gaming investment. Invest in other gaming stock now or be depressed when Fallout 5 is released.

Not having a budget for games and really REALLY hating the concept of open world games, what made Fallout 4 "look different?" Was it JUST that it wasn't green and verdant as opposed to say Far Cry....4 which I think was the one out at the same time? Other than dead grass and trees and mutated bullshit animals (which you're gonna get in 65% of open world games) what else made it destinct?
>assuming me at 13 had played anything besides skyrim, gmod, portal, cod, gta and super mario.
yeah fallout 4 was unlike anything i had played before and even if it wasn't I'd still probably like it. Could have been because I hadn't played many games but who cares I liked it and I still play it sometimes.

Kinda like how when I first played Deus Ex Invisible War on Xbox I thought it was the coolest thing ever because I never played the first one at the time and my PC sucked.

This gate keeping of the fandom is what fractures fan bases and makes shitty games and movies. Now I would rather a kid play Fallout 4 than Fallout 76 so it really is all about decreasing returns on your gaming investment. Invest in other gaming stock now or be depressed when Fallout 5 is released.
I should invest my gaming stock Saints Row. Surely it can't be much worse. :grin:

I do agree though, gatekeeping usually does the opposite of what it's intended for. Saying "You aren't a true fan if you enjoy X" usually just makes people play X out of spite it seems.

The game changes so much it's practically unrecognizable as Fallout. The gameplay is dumbed down to practically being a Call of Duty shooter, the lore is pretty much completely raped and killed and replaced with, whatever it is Bethesda thinks they are making (The Institute is the stupidest thing ever), and there is absolutely zero roleplaying. None what so ever. Who's idea was it to give the character a voice? And the stupid references to contemporary culture that they just throw in because, I dunno, laughs I guess. Yeah, the nuking the fridge was hilarious in 2008. Actually, no it never was.

Whatever. Fallout 4 isn't Fallout. Therefore, you aren't truly a Fallout fan if you love this game, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, you can.

And yes, you are.

I may not like the game but the whole idea of gatekeeping on who gets to love their Wasteland life simulator or not is silly, especially as Fallout 4 gets back to the core idea of Post-Apocalypse life building with its settlement system.

Yes, you can.

And yes, you are.

I may not like the game but the whole idea of gatekeeping on who gets to love their Wasteland life simulator or not is silly, especially as Fallout 4 gets back to the core idea of Post-Apocalypse life building with its settlement system.
No anyone who thinks Fallout 4 is GOTY or better than NV isn't a real fan.

If you call yourself a fan of anything you are obsessed and need to go to the doctor. You are a human being not a whirly wind blowing device.

Can you really call yourself a Fallout fan if you don't have minimum 4 blades and are powered by electricity?

Back