Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Haha nice movies. Good to see some of those minor, hardly noticeable bugs and the vastly improved Radiant AI.

"NPCs react to your character’s actions much more realistically. Swing a weapon too close, knock items off the dinner table or try to steal something of value and NPCs will react appropriately based on their prior relationship with you."

SPoMp.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdGKRZmj9U[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NJ9xVodf58[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rinIiHc4ueg[/youtube]

Even if funny as hell, let's be fair. Would you have thought of players doing that when you'd have developed the game? I am sure I wouldn't. (I mean that bucket exploit)

It's clear Bethesda didn't consider it :) But I guess you're right it's not something you would expect most players to try/ encounter.

Besides buckets have always been problematic in Gamebryo games. (Bucket + Silver Rush)

The floating horses, people and weapons on the other hand...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp7rtuEcS1o[/youtube]

Besides the extremely shitty interface, the game doesn't seem to be that bad (yet?). The crafting system is definitive very nice. Also that you can interact with stuff like a saw mill, etc. I just don't get why I can't ride a horse in first person. I thought first person is the bestest immershuun possible, so why I must ride it in third person then?

Also I got some rather strange quest already, where it seemed from the dialogue that I know stuff about it already, which I didn't. Will see if it continues like that or if that was some exception.

Didn't saw any bug yet, like the ones in the video above, with misplaced weapon, etc.

Surf Solar said:
Even if funny as hell, let's be fair. Would you have thought of players doing that when you'd have developed the game? I am sure I wouldn't. (I mean that bucket exploit)

I would but idiosyncratic is my middle name. It's like making ladders out of paint brushes all over again.

been playing a bit more today:

- no huge bugs so far. minor annoyances mostly.

- story is starting to feel a bit forced and overly "epic". pretty much what you'd expect from Bethesda.

- voice acting is on the whole a lot better, but not really top notch.

- it's pretty common to be cut off from dialogue between npc's has to do with your current quest simply because someone else standing nearby starts talking random nonsense. either they start talking to you, or they start talking to one of the npc's that are part of the conversation. this doesn't happen when in dialogue mode of course. biggest annoyance so far.

- there's really not much more depth to dialogue than in Oblivion. not much in the way of dialogue trees so far, only one question after another. and the same questions appear for a lot of npc's. there are a few "speech checks" though, but you don't get to see your chances of success which is pretty cool.

[spoiler:d2db8641a2]- just fought my first dragon which was pretty lame. I'm at level 7 and he barely hurt me. with the help from a bunch of guards I just fired a few arrows and then finished him off with a sword power attack. the guards did most of the fighting, to be honest. the huge spider in that Barrows place we saw in the previews was a lot more challenging. I had to down several potions to stay alive on that one. and some random Breton mage I met in the wilderness totally raped me with fireballs. kinda takes away from the whole "whoo, dragons are back and will kill us all" bit. they should've waited with introducing the dragons and make them feel like a real threat. hopefully I'll meet tougher ones later on.[/spoiler:d2db8641a2]

Interesting retrospective of the first Elder Scrolls game for those (like me) who haven't played it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MW5SxKMrtE[/youtube]

Apparently shitty UI and clunky combat have been hallmarks of the series since the very beginning.

The interface is really made for x360pad. I am playing with it and it works really well, very smooth.

It is too bad they did not redesign it in more detail for mouse, but I would still play with controller, since I find it more comfortable.

Game itself - I love it, after 7 hours. Great atmosphere, very nice dungeon design.

now the "interesting" question. We heard a few opinions and it seems to be as game "fun" enough (well Oblivion could be fun as well).

But is it a "good" RPG ?

Using a friend's Steam Account, been playign it for roughly 2 hours, it doesn't seem so bad, I am in the first twon and I already got both minor and bigish quests, I am playing on the hardest dificulty, tried to get into the bandit's cave (the one with the blidn man on the entrance) and got killed quickly, I am hunting some deers or elks whatever, I haven't played enough to judge it because I got a big homework to do but it seems fun enough.
I am payign as a Lizard person, been reading Dorohedoro lately so I just couldn't help myself.

For me, so far, it's a fantasy action / exploration game with dialog and a few stats.

Will see how it developes later. Quests so far had been more meh. Better than in Oblivion, but still...

Can someone describe in more detail the dialogue system ?

How is the dialogue qualitatively speaking?

Do we have dialogue trees with the typical good,neutral , evil choices or just one liners (ala oblivion)? What is the norm?

Have you encountered any exceptions?

If there are dialogue choices, do they really matter?

Do we have choices and consequences ala witcher (at least in side quests) ?

Anyone experienced the generic quests? How bad are they?

I find it disturbing to see that , on a form such as this there is more talk about graphics and game mechanics than about the dialogue system and quest design/depth/choices/consequences.

Thanks.

The problem is there is close to none character creation (race + look) and then development is the same for everyone, no good, no bad choice. I installed the morrowind simultaneously and character system there is tons tons better, even Oblivions is better probably, despite already being dumbed down. I mean, Altmer or Breton with good sign is natural choice for a Mage in older games but here Orc will be the same in almost no time. I can imagine somewhere around ES VIII there will be one variable describing development of your character (altered by your every action) with all other stats derived from it, to totally relieve children permitted into this sandbox of need to use brain.

Dialogues, quests etc typical bethesda ones, mainly double F - Find&Fetch, most usually killing something on the way

sea said:

Very nice (the article that is), are you planning on writing a second part about the gameplay itself?

So far I have only seen raving "professional" 10/10 RPG of the year reviews and a lot of pc users criticising the engine and UI but I'm curious about the quest design, the quality of the story and dialogues in general. (not that I'm expecting much)

Back