Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I don't have much problem with the keyboard commands on the menus.... the annoying things is when the mosue is compltely unused for thigns that you would think the mouse would be optimal, and when you are getting used to the keyboard prevalent interface you find some menus that use only the mouse on specific bits but not the keyboard while using the keyboard on everythign else. Not unplayable but kind of annoying to get used to.

Token-not-found said:
Can someone describe in more detail the dialogue system ?

How is the dialogue qualitatively speaking?

Standard fantasy fair, not as bad as Oblivions and some of it is quite good. Voice acting varies depending on actor.

Do we have dialogue trees with the typical good,neutral , evil choices or just one liners (ala oblivion)? What is the norm?

More like Fallout 3, you have dialogue trees but they are pretty bare. There is no good/evil/neutral choices like in Bioware games but you can act snarky sometimes.

Have you encountered any exceptions?

Not yet.

If there are dialogue choices, do they really matter?

Only seen ones that matter that are in the main quest so far, if only for choosing which side. There are some conversations that use persuasion (ala stats in Fallout 3) or brawling to finish the quest but it ends the same.

Do we have choices and consequences ala witcher (at least in side quests) ?

Haven't seen any so far but I'm not far into any quest lines to see if they add C&C.

Anyone experienced the generic quests? How bad are they?

Go to X and kill Y, not too bad if you want some gear and stuff. You can get bounties and such from people who'll give you a note explaining it, like in Fable 2.

I find it disturbing to see that , on a forum such as this there is more talk about graphics and game mechanics than about the dialogue system and quest design/depth/choices/consequences.

Bethesda use graphics as a big PR point so it makes sense to discuss it in context of them marketing the game on it's graphics. Also aren't game mechanics the bits you said afterwards?

Thanks.

On the subject of the UI, yea I got used to it after a while. Feels like Fable 2s in general annoyance. However the perk tree star signs are a pain to traverse as I keep bouncing to the wrong one.

I wish they made a big open world fantasy game like Skyrim but in a world akin to mythical Arabia. or even mythical China

Trolls and Ice Trolls seem to be more dangerous than the giant flying dragons, I got killed by those a lot, specialy on the way to the temple of the Graybeards, the Dragons don't do that much damage, and with a follower and some poison and magic kamehamehas they are done.

The Shouts are pretty fun, specialy the Dash, if only it had a tackle effect.

Also I parted ways with Lydia and picked up the Bar brawler woman, Lydia's "I swore to carry your brudeeeeeens" was getting annoying quick. Also , Radiant Storytelling, I just killed a Dragon and became Whiterun'r hero, but none of the companions have ever heard of me.

Fun game, but it's more like a 3D Metroidvania than an RPG.

Those Giants kill me with one swing. Oblivion style Level scaling is definitely done away with, like in NV.

Walpknut said:
Trolls and Ice Trolls seem to be more dangerous than the giant flying dragons, I got killed by those a lot, specialy on the way to the temple of the Graybeards, the Dragons don't do that much damage, and with a follower and some poison and magic kamehamehas they are done.

It is quite obvious that the so called "Dragons" are tied to your level if you consider how early they already show up. And I think it is quit sad that Bethesda was so ... unimaginative when it comes to that. I mean already in the first 5 min of the game you encounter one of those scalies. Which is alright. But the rest of them seem to be just there that you can "level up" your voice. I am curious when the first mods will arrive which change the voice to one from Cher, Celine Dion or something ...

My second dragon was much harder to get down than the first you kill. In fact, I had to drink like 20 healing potions to survive him. Especially as a melee, the dragon was dangerous to me- I had to wait till he lands on the ground in front of me, while he was in the air or on a mountain, I had to run away from his fire attack or it killed me extremely fast.

well if there are no bandits showing up on every street with glass and deadric armor ... that would be already some improvement :mrgreen:

Crni Vuk said:
Walpknut said:

It is quite obvious that the so called "Dragons" are tied to your level if you consider how early they already show up. And I think it is quit sad that Bethesda was so ... unimaginative when it comes to that. I mean already in the first 5 min of the game you encounter one of those scalies. Which is alright. But the rest of them seem to be just there that you can "level up" your voice. I am curious when the first mods will arrive which change the voice to one from Cher, Celine Dion or something ...
I'll be waiting for the one that replaces them with Rob Halford's Singing, ro even better with Black Metal singing.

Open wide.
1skyskull.jpg

Tried something other than baskets.

I gave in and got it. A few quick toughts

-This is indeed a very shoddy console port. My rig can handle maxed Crysis 2, Bethesda, it's not my fault if there is ANY lag, period. The interface is also a prime example of looks over usability (at least on PC) but learning to only use WASD helps. having to dig through .ini files to edit settings in a AAA release is ridiculous. And the textures, Lord the textures... Some of the are straight from Morrowind, even for a console game this is frankly not acceptable.

-As others have said, RPG elements are so bare-bones it's hard to classify it as one, even despite my own rather loose interpretation of the term. Writing has improved a bit (going from horrible to standard fantasy fair), and so did voice acting (I noticed the voice actors of Dragon Age 2's Fenris and I swore I heard Bob Page from that Dark Elf in the Companions). But with so little stats to work with and so uninteresting perks (your power attacks take 25% less stamina, yay! Depth!) it's hard not to call it an action-adventure.

-On the plus side, so far Beth's world building has vastly improved. The atmosphere is really good, it feels much less fake than Oblivion (talk between NPCs seems much more tightly scripted, they talk about things relevant to them, no more seeing mudcrabs the other day, even if said mudcrabs are indeed in the game). Most dungeons I have visited have some sort of unique gimmick (non-hostile blind old man at the entrance, for example) and they all seem to be unique in layout. Some of them are even infested with Trolls that can rip you apart bin seconds. The vistas are nothing short of magnificient. Big, big kudos for that, Beth.

-Combat is better too; melee has more weight to it (with two-handers at least), the finishing moves are quick, not too flashy and uncommon enough that they remain fun, archery deals more damage so that only boss level enemies end up as pincushion, and magic I haven't tried yet, but it seems pretty fun to combine spells.

That'S it for now. The game has the usual Beth flaws and then some, but underneath it is easily a better game than Fallout 3 or Oblivion. Hope it stays that way.

Played about 4 hrs yesterday and i had fun with the game. Exploring and looting, collecting hides and clearing dungeons was fun. Enviromental effects are good and caves/ dungeons are athmospheric. I like that at least this far the music has been quite subtle. Voice acting is better than in previous beth titles. Also one thing that surprised me is how well this game performs with my rather subpar rig when it comes to gaming ( athlon 245 and hd4850). Load times are rather small ( mostly about 5 sec with few longer ones), and i havent really had many slowdowns yet, but then again i havent been in any big cities or done any of the main quest yet, and i play with mostly medium setting with quite low view distance with objects npc:s and so on.

That said theres not really much RPG in this game really, it feels more of a exploring / adventure hack & slash. Difficulty has been mostly too easy ( i think i have the expert difficulty in options). When in a fight i just equip the fire spell that ive had from the beginning of the game to the other hand and ember dagger to the other and click my way to the victory while running backwards.
About the dialogue, i havent really had any options in dialogue. Usually just couple of different questions about the local town or people (ive yet to chat with any of the main quest npc so cant say if theres more choises to be made with them) and the dialogue isnt that great. Theres just something about beth made dialogue that makes the npcs seem , well naive i suppose would describe it well enough. Bad guys mostly resemble schoolyard bullies.

I never really played oblivion for more than couple of hours so cant compare to that and i played morrowind back when it came out so im not confident enough to make many comparisons to that either, but it definetly feels a lot easier than morrowind.

PainlessDocM said:
Did he notice you stealing his pie? :)

Had already stolen all the money in the room and a cake before I did that. Gotta leave the old feller something. :P

Another thing to add is they've really put some thought into the lore this time. Playing Oblivion you never really got an impression of the different races apart from stats and looks.
Here the Khajit aren't usually allowed in cities and there is a group of Redguards wearing arabian clothes and using scimitars hunting for someone. Makes the world feel more like Morrowinds with distinct cultures.

Whats an ember dagger? Do you mean ebony, if so that may explain why it's so easy to kill stuff.

I like what I'm hearing. Most complaints seem to be nitpicks, except for "isn't an RPG" but we all expected that. Sounds like a buy for me.

maximaz said:
I like what I'm hearing. Most complaints seem to be nitpicks, except for "isn't an RPG" but we all expected that. Sounds like a buy for me.
Letz say you buy a bicycle by your vendor and he delivers you some motorbike with the statement that it has as well 2 wheels. Would you complaining about it as well seeing as "nitpicking" ?

I mean Skyrim might be a really a very fun "game". No doubts about that. A motorbike and a bicycle are both fun to use. But they are not offering the same experience. Skyrim gets sold and labeled as "RPG" (what ever that term now really means ...). So I think the criticsm if it is a good RPG or not is rather valid.

That Skyrim is already better then Oblivion might be true. But hands down ... to achieve that was not the most difficult task anyway. And even then the menu and interface of Skyrim is even one of the worse ports in the world of shoddy console ports ...

Does somebody know how to pull out arrows frommy body? My character hs been going around with an arrow halfway into his arm and another one in his leg for a couple of hours now, not even reloading orsleeping is making them disappear.

Back