Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

agiel7 said:
I was desperately hoping for AI improvements with the new engine
Not even sure if you can count the Creation Engine as "new", it's been obvious since the beginning it was just Gamebryo 1.X, I think the only reason Bethesda ever coined the whole "new engine" idea was because they knew everyone (even their fans) disliked Gamebryo and would be easily convinced if told it was a new engine.

This seems appopriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJtSx0_VlQ

When you play it you will feel the Gamebryo in it, it's a bit more fluent but it's still got that mutated Bethesda version of Gamebryo feel embedded in it.

Yea, some areas in the gameworld look really boring and shitty, while others are very nice to look at. A good example for a shitty part of the world is the top left corner of the map. You see lots of texture tiles, it's empty and just ugly to look at. In fact, it's like Oblivion.

Reconite said:
Not even sure if you can count the Creation Engine as "new", it's been obvious since the beginning it was just Gamebryo 1.X, I think the only reason Bethesda ever coined the whole "new engine" idea was because they knew everyone (even their fans) disliked Gamebryo and would be easily convinced if told it was a new engine.

This seems appopriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJtSx0_VlQ

When you play it you will feel the Gamebryo in it, it's a bit more fluent but it's still got that mutated Bethesda version of Gamebryo feel embedded in it.

Well from what I've seen of my friend playing it (my local Best Buy was out of stock and won't be replenishing until Tuesday. Shitty, considering that I have a $20 gift card), running didn't seem quite as floaty as it was in past Gamebryo games. Don't seem to recall if I saw that there was finally a forward-sideways locomotion animation implemented.

Well that's what I meant by a bit more "fluent", that's probably the wrong word to use there though. It's definitely less floaty and slidey compared to Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas though. But you still get that distinct bad taste in your mouth after playing a Gamebryo game.

agiel7 said:
I was desperately hoping for AI improvements with the new engine (alas, I should have known better that it was too much to ask). If Fallout 4 isn't going to be a deep RPG, then Bethesda is seriously going to have to understand that they need to make a new AI from the ground up so that it can at least pass for a decent shooter. They can learn a thing or two from the Ukrainians on how to make good AI in a shooter set in a post-apocalyptic world.

Why should they? AI in their previous games have been pretty bad but people don't seem to care. Why should they care in the future?

Surf Solar said:
Really surprised so far, let's see how long it lasts. :D

I get scared when you're not grouchy. What did you do with the real Surf?

Just started the Thieves Guild stuff, it actually feels like being a thief.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
Why should they? AI in their previous games have been pretty bad but people don't seem to care. Why should they care in the future?

You nailed it

Exactly this is the "problem" with Bethesda (not only with their games this counts for quite few other companies as well).

The marketing they have and their "fans" make sure that things always stay without true improvement.

It is not like Bethesda developers don't know what they are doing. Look at their concept art for example. Those people HAVE skilled people. And for example Emil Pagliaro was responsible for some of the writing in Thief (which was a quite good game). But why should they spend that much time on the AI, Animation and the "details" of their visuals hands down the closer you get to the Bethesda games the "worse" the visuals look ... its like one of the first things modders come up with today. Texture mods and graphic overhauls ... not that I am complaining about modders of course. Bethesdas marketing makes sure that there is enough hype around their game so people still buy it and reviews give it a 11 of 10.

Crni Vuk said:

You nailed it

Exactly this is the "problem" with Bethesda (not only with their games this counts for quite few other companies as well).

The marketing they have and their "fans" make sure that things always stay without true improvement.

It is not like Bethesda developers don't know what they are doing. Look at their concept art for example. Those people HAVE skilled people. And for example Emil Pagliaro was responsible for some of the writing in Thief (which was a quite good game). But why should they spend that much time on the AI, Animation and the "details" of their visuals hands down the closer you get to the Bethesda games the "worse" the visuals look ... its like one of the first things modders come up with today. Texture mods and graphic overhauls ... not that I am complaining about modders of course. Bethesdas marketing makes sure that there is enough hype around their game so people still buy it and reviews give it a 11 of 10.

Emil worked on Thief 2 and I wouldn't consider him skilled when it comes to writing at all. Fallout 3 (He was the Lead Designer there too remember?) and Skyrim are proof enough. Though I have to say there seem to be 1-2 Writer/Designer at Bethesda that actually can write as you still come across one or two well written spots at times. Their Art Department is pretty good though.

AI. Writing. Animations. Voice acting. Clunky combat. The game has plenty of things that it's mediocre or straight-up bad at, but when the fans play the game, they don't notice because they're so taken by the draw of exploration the game offers. That's why these games review so well even when reviewers are conscious of its flaws.

It's too bad the draw just doesn't work on me or I could really enjoy these games.

Alphadrop said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIF86TxGj1Y[/youtube]

Aaaaand another physics goof. Gotta love the Havok engine.
I got that too, but mine was when "fighting" (more like spasing before diying) against a Giant, guy hits me with his club and I go up in the air and stay up there rolling in place.

I am pleased by the difficulty so far. I am at Expert and things are challenging without seeming unfair. There seem to be improbable differences in power, however; I kill a dragon at a fixed location after a hard battle, so all proud I explore a bit and find one of those walls containing Words for shouts. As I approach, some guy rises up from a nearby coffin. one of those Dragon Priests covered in a video IIRC. I told myself, I just disemboweled a big stonking dragon, this should be a formality. Well, he takes almost no damage from my buffed claymore and kills me in two spells. The dragons should be worshipping this guy, not the other way around.

Also, I don't find the combat that clunky. It's no Mount and Blade, but my two-handed/archery character feels sufficiently weigthy and powerful when he swings around his big sword, and it too me a while to figure out how to properly block attacks (hint, hit block as the attack occurs, don't hold the button). That said, when several people enter the fray the retarded follower AI does make me cringe (move away from that narrow passageway and let me at them, Lydia!).

Also, now I am a werewolf. Oh-oh-oh.[/quote]

Yeah i have to agree on the bad ai department. Today i met with this master vampire that should be unbeatable at my level. There happened to be large table in the next room, i lured him there and ran circles around the table keeping him constantly on fire. Apparently he was too close so he didnt use any of his long range spells but could never actually hit me with melee weapon.
I literally ran around the table for 5 minutes and using fire staff constantly keeping him on fire and every now and then pausing in menu to feed lesser soul gems for the staff.

Abusing the surroundings is way too easy agaisnt melee enemies. They cant seem to fit in some of the corners where you can fit so you can safely take em down with a bows or spells. Also when using bow from unreachable (for melee enemy npcs) places, they just stand in open yelling at me their curses and just taking what ever i throw at them. These problems dont really show when fighting in large open areas. mostly with tight corridors and hard to get to heights.

About the animations, its really hit and miss. Some of the animations look nice (mainly npc/pc walking/running, some of the combat animations etc) and some bad ( deers, wolfes, dogs running, swimming or attacking) look rather bad.

I havent had many bugs yet, couple of physics gone wild cases but nothing too severe.

Also the difficulty is getting quite challenging, apparently i just got lucky with the equipment at the beginning of the game.

Mendacious BN said:

AI. Writing. Animations. Voice acting. Clunky combat. The game has plenty of things that it's mediocre or straight-up bad at, but when the fans play the game, they don't notice because they're so taken by the draw of exploration the game offers. That's why these games review so well even when reviewers are conscious of its flaws.

It's too bad the draw just doesn't work on me or I could really enjoy these games.

Animations, VA and combat will certainly improve with every release simply because technology marches on and they have to wow the players somehow (even though I doubt they'll ever be above average/excellent) but AI is the one thing I think they'll never bother to "fix". It takes effort to make a truly good AI in an open world environment, after Oblivion they can't use it anymore for PR and marketing and I'm sure that a lot of people actually like the stupid exploitable AI.

yeah but strange enough they are always 2 generations behind in technology when it comes to that ... anything regarding the visuals in Skyrim is rather mediocre (which includes physics, animation and graphics). atmosphere is a whole different level and created by a good artistic department (great concept art and how they are realized by the modelers/level makers).

Looks like the game works pretty good on older systems and looks surprisingly good on "low" settings.

I will see in the summer (when i will play it myself) how well it runs on a single core cpu.

By all indications it should work ok.

God damn i love my cpu, the money spent when i got it , 7 years ago (around 350$) were totally worth it.

P4 with HT (prescott) FTW

It pretty much runs all games (i'm speaking of rpg's, the most recent ones) on medium-highish without problems (with a 4650 ati card and 2 gb ram)

Hope they still making intel CPU's like this one...

I mean improve the AI in time for Fallout 4 so that enemies do "FPSey" things like take cover and flank. Even with an animation system that was barely better than anything using the Gamebryo engine, the combat AI for the STALKER game is still head and shoulders above that of modern FPSes with colossal budgets.

Mendacious BN said:

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Back