Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Korin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mobucks

mobucks woof Orderite

May 22, 2010
    thats what I meant. fugly

2. lmao

lmao It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 29, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the vampire kid's (her name is Babette) voice actor also voiced half the kids in Little Lamplight in Fallout 3. And she is truly horrible at it. The character was interesting and occasionally funny, but the voice killed it.

An interesting thing about her (Dark Brotherhood spoilers below):

[spoiler:29577ca18c]the Dark Brotherhood guildhall is attacked and almost everyone inside it is killed, but she's nowhere to be found when it happens. She appears again once the carnage has been completed, with no explanation for her whereabouts, not even "this shit got heavy so I escaped until it was over." I find it amusing that even though she's technically not a kid -- she's 300 years old! -- because she has a child's voice and body, Bethesda refused to do her any harm or place her in a dangerous situation. The way they tiptoe around the issue is silly, especially considering they made a game where you can find a child's skeleton, in a cage, wearing a party hat -- but couldn't even kill children in the same game.[/spoiler:29577ca18c]

3. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Bethesda is the king of double standards/moral. It was always that way.

violence is "ok". But anything that hurts wallmart sales is a "no no". Though Skyrim is a bit "more" mature then Oblivion.

Though already in Fallout 3 it was a rather comical situation. You cant kill "kids" but you can blow up Megaton which had at least "one" kid inside ... :roll:

4. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    Regarding visuals, there's a neat tool called "FXAA Injector", which is good for... using things other than FXAA. I use it for sharpening, tonemap and technicolor effects:

Vanilla (brightness turned up because this mod darkens the image):

Injector on:

It's very customizable and doesn't cause me any FPS drop.

5. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Uh, I find the bottom version highly ugly and way too sharped up.

6. Multidirectional

Sep 12, 2008
    Whatever, I find vanilla visuals highly boring. I always prefer things sharp and colorful. I did say it can be customized.

7. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    I use it to lightly sharpen objects so textures are less blurred at distance and sliiightly more saturation.
    Not keen on the overkill saturation but whatever floats your nordic boat.

8. RogerMaxson37

RogerMaxson37 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 9, 2011
    I must have been the only one to find Skyrim's menu system easy to navigate.

9. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    it's easy to navigate, but it's annoying to use, and it has some serious desing flaws, like the ones on the image they posted some pages prior.

10. Multidirectional

Sep 12, 2008
    Doesn't mean it's as functional as it should be. There could be a lot less of that easy navigation.

11. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Uh-uh. Tell it to the million times that I've gotten the wrong dialogue option even though I clicked on the correct one.

12. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Trying to select the right book in the inventory is the hardest for me. Seems the mouse really doesn't like that section.

13. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Use the keyboard for everything as much as possible. Just forget about the mouse. It's annoying, but you can't get it more precise than that.

14. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    yeah, as soon as you stop trying to use the mouse in the menus it becomes a lot easier.

I still haven't figured out how to rotate items in the inventory btw. any ideas? all I can do it hit the C-key and it zooms in on the object. still can't rotate, though.

15. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    I was gonna ask the same thing, neither the WASD or arrows or mouse roating seems to rotate the items, I had to solve the "Puzzles" of the Key Claws by squinting and guessing the symbols I had to choose.

16. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I don't know how to do it as well. Tried everything I could think about, but nope... just doesn't work.

17. Xellos

Xellos Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Feb 10, 2006
    Well, don't know why, but rotating with the LMB held on the item portrait did the trick. Bigger problem for me was dragging bodies and other things, figured it out after long while.

18. Verd1234

Verd1234 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jan 16, 2009
    So I guess the general opinion is that this game is like Mass Effect 2 in that it isn't really an RPG but is still very entertaining?

19. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Truly a sad day for PC gaming when the solution is to stop using a mouse.

Rotating with LMB works for me. But I don't know how to drag bodies :D

20. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    Ehhhhhhhhhhh, kinda. Depends on your definition of "role playing". Concerning character development, I think Skyrim is more of an RPG due to the perks and the you-are-what-you-use system. Gameplay-wise, once again Skyrim. Less corridor shooting, more open-world exploring. While I consider them both action RPGs, ME doesn't have you considering much other than shooting, reloading and hiding behind cover for the quick health regen.
    Jury's out for me as far as the choices and consequences go. Seems like ME takes the cake so far, but I haven't come close to finishing Skyrim yet.

You can drag objects by holding E. Sometimes, if you check inside objects(broken vases in dungeons specifically), there's treats in them for you.

EDIT:
    Found out why my crossfire wasn't using more than 45% per card. CPU was bottlenecking the performance. OCed my CPU(Q6600) from 2.4 to 3.2 and now I bottom out at about 25 FPS as opposed to 14 on ultra settings. Get a solid 60 FPS indoors. Guess I gotta give up on the LGA775 board soonish :(