Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

UncannyGarlic said:
I'll have to give either New Vegas or Fallout 3 a try because I think that they have the best chance of being enjoyable for me. I'm not a fan of Beth's style of games because they really don't do anything consistently well. They do a lot of different things but none any better than average and most mediocre. Add in the TES "learn from doing" system which applies to even non-combat skills and I'm out. I honestly don't get the appeal of the TES games beyond wandering around the world and playing dress-up.

Honestly the genre doesn't really appeal to me but I feel quite safe to say that Beth doesn't even scratch it's potential.

I suggest you give NV a try. yes, it's the same type of sandbox model as Fallout 3 and the TES games, but Obsidian managed to do something more of it. it's a bit more linear in where you can go at the beginning of the game, and it feels a bit smaller and with less places to explore. the last may not actually be true, but like I said it's how the game feels. it feels more focused. other than that, the wiriting is much more clever than anything Beth has ever pulled off, there are a lot more interesting quests, a lot more choices to be made... a whole lot more depth, simply put.

Makagulfazel said:
Lexx said:
It totally lacks a good flow

While I understand the frustration of this, isn't it kind of a beautiful thing?

It basically feels like an Offline MMO thanks to this (and various other issues). Bethesda are masters of making the player think there is lots of content, "so much stuff to do, everywhere!" while this is just a farce.

Man.

Doesn't anybody smoke pot or drink bourbon? I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with any of the whining or griping going on (heck, I even think Maka made a decent point) but haven't the lot of you learned anything from Fallout 3? It just breaks my heart to see all the whinging when the key to enjoying this game is so simple.

Also: This game totally IS Fallout 3 with swords.

aenemic said:
UncannyGarlic said:
I'll have to give either New Vegas or Fallout 3 a try because I think that they have the best chance of being enjoyable for me. I'm not a fan of Beth's style of games because they really don't do anything consistently well. They do a lot of different things but none any better than average and most mediocre. Add in the TES "learn from doing" system which applies to even non-combat skills and I'm out. I honestly don't get the appeal of the TES games beyond wandering around the world and playing dress-up.

Honestly the genre doesn't really appeal to me but I feel quite safe to say that Beth doesn't even scratch it's potential.

I suggest you give NV a try. yes, it's the same type of sandbox model as Fallout 3 and the TES games, but Obsidian managed to do something more of it. it's a bit more linear in where you can go at the beginning of the game, and it feels a bit smaller and with less places to explore. the last may not actually be true, but like I said it's how the game feels. it feels more focused. other than that, the wiriting is much more clever than anything Beth has ever pulled off, there are a lot more interesting quests, a lot more choices to be made... a whole lot more depth, simply put.

That's a very underrated description of NV.

In my book NV is on par with the originals.

from the writing yes.

From the game play ? Not so much. But I guess that is hardly Obsidians fault. - Well if Fallout 3 was a shooter they cant suddenly make NV something else ...

New Vegas feels much bigger to me than Skyrim does, simply because of the way the quests are setup.

Lexx said:
New Vegas feels much bigger to me than Skyrim does, simply because of the way the quests are setup.

Yes, and it has what matters: content and substance, on the opposite of Skyrim with all the dull and repitive "content". You can fill a world thrice as big as Skyrim is, it doesn't matter if all you fill it up with is soul-less copy paste stuff.

Yeah, this kinda annoyed me in GTA: San Andreas. That game was pretty good for the most part about confining missions into the area you were in. But in the interlude between Los Santos and San Fierro, the missions got very dull as you had to travel half the map to do them....

Looks like Skyrim does this the whole game from what you all are saying....I guess this game is probably not for me then....Thanks...

Surf Solar said:
It basically feels like an Offline MMO thanks to this (and various other issues).

Not really. MMOs have beginning, middle, and end game content. This just has content that scales to your level, so there's no wrong path but consistent difficulty. This setup should encourage exploration, not grinding. This means one person's beginning content will be another person's endgame content. Some people don't like this, some do.

braveheart8jc.jpg

FREEDOM! (is not a bad thing to me)

Sidenote:
The moral ambiguity of those loyal to the Nords or the Imperials is much richer than it was with the Legion and NCR. I will embellish this claim if anybody asks.

Makagulfazel said:
FREEDOM! (is not a bad thing to me)

I get what you mean and I like freedom in games too (though I prefer tigher narration in games) - but I don't like "Freedom" if it is on the cost of actual interesting content in the game. Why should one explore something when everything is the same or badly written...

Makagulfazel said:
Surf Solar said:
It basically feels like an Offline MMO thanks to this (and various other issues).

Sidenote:
The moral ambiguity of those loyal to the Nords or the Imperials is much richer than it was with the Legion and NCR. I will embellish this claim if anybody asks.

I don't think there was any ambiguity to begin with...

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...r-diary-explores-moral-ambiguity-of-factions/

I knew who I wanted to side with in New Vegas. But, the factions being noticeably on different ends of the moral spectrum doesn't mean it's a flaw with the game, but just a feature of the game some people will like and some will not.
That's how I feel about this thread. You don't like the chaotic nature of the narrative? I get it. Some of us like it though.

Makagulfazel said:

oh yes, definitely. I haven't explored either option much yet, but that's mostly because I'm afraid to pick sides. neither feels more evil or good and it's really hard to say which one would be best for the common people. in New Vegas it was pretty obvious who was evil, and then you had several good choices.

On the topic of freedom in TES games.

I consider freedom the ability to forge your own story through choices and consequences , your own character through dialogue choices and interaction and choices and consequences in side-quests.

In Oblivion you were free to roam generic landscapes and dungeos and quests- freedom in a shitty , tight parameter- that's not really freedom in my book.

It's like someone dropping you in deep , wide shit pit and telling you you have the freedom to roam it.

Also you have no ability to build a ladder.

aenemic said:
Makagulfazel said:

oh yes, definitely. I haven't explored either option much yet, but that's mostly because I'm afraid to pick sides. neither feels more evil or good and it's really hard to say which one would be best for the common people. in New Vegas it was pretty obvious who was evil, and then you had several good choices.

What? The Imperials basically want to kill you for the lulz right at the start of the game, "just because". Why would anyone want to side with a faction which doesn't care for local culture, feels "superior" over those "tribes" while feeling all smug about it?

I really don't feel like joining the Stormcloaks, they are a bunch of smug asshoels that hink Nords are over every race, my character is an Argonian and siding with them would be compeltely dumb, and The EMpire at least has things liek th Bard's College and the execution at the begining was mostly out of a confusion they tought we were with the Stormcloaks, they don't try to execute you later on, and some of them comment on the confusion, they still tried to do execute you without even confirming, but the Stormcloaks didn't gave a fuck about taking a couple of innocents with them when they could have just at least speak up and tell them you weren't even with them, it could have been a useless move but they didn't even try. I have a question, to end the game you have to necesarily pick a side or you can ignore the civil war?

:scratch:

Have you seen the Silver-Bloods yet? Listened to the lore of the Forsworn(sweet irony) or the Great War? Met the Thalmor? Listened to the Imperial-supporting Jarls' reasons as to why they support the empire?
You're on the same wagon as the guy who used a Thu'um to kill the king, what is to be expected? Also, the male Imperial is hesitant to execute you at the beginning regardless of that fact and you're given the choice to follow him.
Lastly, have you noticed how prejudiced the Nords are typically? This game has excellent moral ambiguity.

Makagulfazel said:
:scratch:

Have you seen the Silver-Bloods yet?

What's up with them? Other than trying to kill me on sight while uttering silly one liners I haven't witnessed any interaction with them, same as with the Forsworn.

Met the Thalmor?

Yup, they use the the empire and their people as puppets to fulfill their goals. All the more reasons why the empire "faction" is ridicolous.

Listened to the Imperial-supporting Jarls' reasons as to why they support the empire?

Other than "ololo they give me lots of luxury and stuff, it's pretty cool and I'm all smug over this" I haven't seen any further reasoning on those Jarls.

You're on the same wagon as the guy who used a Thu'um to kill the king, what is to be expected?

As the game doesn't tell you why you're on this wagon, what kind of argument is that? An amazing caring empire why you are sent to be executed for the lulz, and an amazing afford of the writers providing us with reasons to sit on that wagon.

Also, the male Imperial is hesitant to execute you at the beginning regardless of that fact and you're given the choice to follow him.

Doesn't matter, they want to do it regardless. "Oh hai buddy I'm sorry, wrong place wrong time and all that, it's just, buerocracy 'n shit like that y'know? Hope you're not mad at me now, kthxbai".
Lastly, have you noticed how prejudiced the Nords are typically? This

I would be too, seeing how a bunch of assholes want to destroy all my culture and destroy all what makes my country so great.

game has excellent moral ambiguity.

The problem is, it hasn't. It's just the same like in New Vegas where you have a "lol evil!" faction where you have no reason not to hate them (not even in a "LARPing way) - just that the game throws them at you right at the start. Amazing.

Back