Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Korin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Not for me, not the way it's done in Skyrim. The world can be open and all, even without every quest sending you into a different direction.

Hell, I was like 2 hours into the game and I got a quest that was sending me to a town straight bottom right of the worldmap and when I walked 10 meters further, I got a quest that was sending me to the top left corner of the worldmap, etc. Why the game wants me to cross the whole country already this early in the game? It totally feels like a waste of potential to me and this makes me angry. They "force" me to explore the world with this and it just feels unnatural to me. Hey, maybe they wanted to make the quests feel longer / bigger due to this?... Smaller steps, which guide me from one bigger area in the game to the next - in which I then would get quests for the local area - would have been much, much better.

Now, I don't think that I am very far into the game, but to me it feels like I saw nearly everything already, exactly because I have crossed nearly every area. Right, I could just go back to the towns which I have visited already, but I really don't like that. In this case, it's as if I have to search for the quests to get me entertained.

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    ^Now, I'm ignoring Skyrim so I don't know it's exactly the same, but what you're describing sounds like one of the big reasons why I stopped playing FO3.

Maybe it's just me, but I like spending 5 minutes to get to a half-hour quest, not vice versa.

3. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Guess I did the smart thing of ignoring Skyrim after all, the more I read about it the worse the design sounds.

4. Sam Ecorners

Sam Ecorners Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Jan 23, 2007
    see, i just go from town to town of my choosing, collecting quests and solving them as I go along.

IT works out very well for me, because, for the first time in Bethesda game, I'm enjoying exploration.

5. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Jul 28, 2006
    You said something like that before (and I agree 100%):

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56298&start=0

Note: I accidentaly clicked the ! button while trying to click to quote button, sorry for that Lexx. Big hug!

6. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    I honestly am not very found of navigating towns to get to quest givers, especially not multiple screens. One thing that Fallout 1&2 did very well was the town map screen that popped up when you entered a town. It saved a lot of time and hassle to just be able to click on the area and just have to navigate it rather than the whole damn town.

Does Skyrim have fast travel like Oblivion or Fallout 3?

I'll have to give either New Vegas or Fallout 3 a try because I think that they have the best chance of being enjoyable for me. I'm not a fan of Beth's style of games because they really don't do anything consistently well. They do a lot of different things but none any better than average and most mediocre. Add in the TES "learn from doing" system which applies to even non-combat skills and I'm out. I honestly don't get the appeal of the TES games beyond wandering around the world and playing dress-up.

Honestly the genre doesn't really appeal to me but I feel quite safe to say that Beth doesn't even scratch it's potential.

7. lmao

lmao It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 29, 2005
    I wasn't following Skyrim news at all and had no idea of the radiant quest stuff until I was actually 15 or so hours into the game. A lot of these boring fetch quests are actually randomly generated, I guess...lame. I've hit the typical TES wall where I just don't want to play any more, and the radiant story actually makes it worse. It fills my journal up with tons of quests I could be doing, but all those quests are boring. The main quest is decent. Dialogue is awful.

Every time Morrowind music starts playing I get all nostalgic.

I think I might have gotten some people on GameFAQs to play Fallout: New Vegas though since I posted a thread today comparing the two, and a few were interested in it. So maybe some good came out of Skyrim after all :D

8. SmartCheetah

SmartCheetah It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 23, 2009
  9. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    I suggest you give NV a try. yes, it's the same type of sandbox model as Fallout 3 and the TES games, but Obsidian managed to do something more of it. it's a bit more linear in where you can go at the beginning of the game, and it feels a bit smaller and with less places to explore. the last may not actually be true, but like I said it's how the game feels. it feels more focused. other than that, the wiriting is much more clever than anything Beth has ever pulled off, there are a lot more interesting quests, a lot more choices to be made... a whole lot more depth, simply put.

10. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    It basically feels like an Offline MMO thanks to this (and various other issues). Bethesda are masters of making the player think there is lots of content, "so much stuff to do, everywhere!" while this is just a farce.

11. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    Man.

Doesn't anybody smoke pot or drink bourbon? I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with any of the whining or griping going on (heck, I even think Maka made a decent point) but haven't the lot of you learned anything from Fallout 3? It just breaks my heart to see all the whinging when the key to enjoying this game is so simple.

Also: This game totally IS Fallout 3 with swords.

12. Token-not-found

Token-not-found It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 11, 2011
    That's a very underrated description of NV.

In my book NV is on par with the originals.

13. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    from the writing yes.

From the game play ? Not so much. But I guess that is hardly Obsidians fault. - Well if Fallout 3 was a shooter they cant suddenly make NV something else ...

14. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    New Vegas feels much bigger to me than Skyrim does, simply because of the way the quests are setup.

15. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Yes, and it has what matters: content and substance, on the opposite of Skyrim with all the dull and repitive "content". You can fill a world thrice as big as Skyrim is, it doesn't matter if all you fill it up with is soul-less copy paste stuff.

16. Verd1234

Verd1234 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jan 16, 2009
    Yeah, this kinda annoyed me in GTA: San Andreas. That game was pretty good for the most part about confining missions into the area you were in. But in the interlude between Los Santos and San Fierro, the missions got very dull as you had to travel half the map to do them....

Looks like Skyrim does this the whole game from what you all are saying....I guess this game is probably not for me then....Thanks...

17. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    Not really. MMOs have beginning, middle, and end game content. This just has content that scales to your level, so there's no wrong path but consistent difficulty. This setup should encourage exploration, not grinding. This means one person's beginning content will be another person's endgame content. Some people don't like this, some do.

FREEDOM! (is not a bad thing to me)

Sidenote:
    The moral ambiguity of those loyal to the Nords or the Imperials is much richer than it was with the Legion and NCR. I will embellish this claim if anybody asks.

18. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    I get what you mean and I like freedom in games too (though I prefer tigher narration in games) - but I don't like "Freedom" if it is on the cost of actual interesting content in the game. Why should one explore something when everything is the same or badly written...

19. Token-not-found

Token-not-found It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 11, 2011
    I don't think there was any ambiguity to begin with...