Everything in Fallout 4 looks too new

I can't help it but imaginet hat 200 years after WW3 someone would do the same with Laddy Gaga

* shudders * Almost everything we have accomplished and learned is gone but that happens to survive.

I don't think i am the biggest Beth apologist, but it isn't unlikely that the Massachusset, or at least Boston Metro area, managed to deviate a lot of bombs, like Robert House (he studied there). After all, the folks from there kept improving their tech after the war. It seems most likely that they had time for focus on that if they didn't have to rebuild what was already there in the first place. Why bother making impressive androïds if you don't even have stable houses ? Of course, they might screw that with a destroyed Boston, but it is what makes the most sense so far...

I don't think i am the biggest Beth apologist, but it isn't unlikely that the Massachusset, or at least Boston Metro area, managed to deviate a lot of bombs, like Robert House (he studied there). After all, the folks from there kept improving their tech after the war. It seems most likely that they had time for focus on that if they didn't have to rebuild what was already there in the first place. Why bother making impressive androïds if you don't even have stable houses ? Of course, they might screw that with a destroyed Boston, but it is what makes the most sense so far...

It's totally plausible that pre-war MIT figured out a way to deflect a lot of the missiles (at least from hitting them) and the relative lack of direct explosions hitting the campus is why they're so comparatively technologically advanced. I mean "a bunch of smartypants professors with a $12b+ endowment figure out a way to save their own skins" is every bit as plausible as what House did.

What do you think? How hamfisted will the theme of civil-war and slavery be this time? You know, it would be really interesting if they actually created a moral dilema here. Ok? You know slavery is bad and such, but they explain to you that they need them to survive! You know! I am just beeing factious here, but you get the picture. Though I doubt that they will even try to create a more moraly ambigious situation where the player has to pause and think at least for 30 sec. before pulling the trigger.

Except New Vegas didn't bring up the old west at all. The Old West stuff was more thematic than anything, nobody was talking about the war or the cowboys unless they were Pre War ghouls or Brotherhood Scribes. The Kings similarly didn't just mention Elvis at all, every character was always focused on the present time and situation, the battle of hoover dam, the lawlessness of Freeside, their history with the NCR and so forth.

Bethesda are the only ones who make the Fallout Wastelands so shallow and plastic, with characters barely even caring about their present or futures and mostly focusing on events rom a past they didn't live in.

I actually think the Kings are one of the best factions in Vegas, even if you don't interact with them as much like with House/Legion/NCR. But just the idea alone is so awesome in my opinion. The fact that one of our (past) pop-cultures becomes like a saint and/or god figure to the people based on the few bits that survived the war. Heh, I can't help it but imaginet hat 200 years after WW3 someone would do the same with Laddy Gaga :V
Lady GaGa...imagined as an idol in a post apocalyptic era? Nope Nope Nope.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/l30.gif

Last edited:

It's totally plausible that pre-war MIT figured out a way to deflect a lot of the missiles (at least from hitting them) and the relative lack of direct explosions hitting the campus is why they're so comparatively technologically advanced. I mean "a bunch of smartypants professors with a $12b+ endowment figure out a way to save their own skins" is every bit as plausible as what House did.

Somehow I get a feeling none of that will be the case. I wonder if anyone there will even mention the missiles. Most likely they will be talking about how great human robits are.

Somehow I get a feeling none of that will be the case. I wonder if anyone there will even mention the missiles. Most likely they will be talking about how great human robits are.

I have the same feeling, "Boston and MIT survived because..." and that is basically the end of it even if the intro showed us warheads detonated very close by.

Personally I feel that intact major cities like Las Vegas should be a rare thing, making them special, rather than something that is repeated in every upcoming Fallout title.
Any new city still standing should be a post war one, one that was first built by the survivors and then maintained and expanded on later, having a style that is completely different from the Pre War once, perhaps a hodge podge of various materials and what was available like the foundations or metal skeleton of a building around which the new construction took place.

I'm curious about Boston myself, cause it looks untouched by the bombs and several of the large building look post-war as well. Hopefully it's explained, but i have a feeling it will be "Well, the institute...". Todd said FO4 takes place 200 years after the bombs, so seemingly at the same time as FO3.

What makes the state of the city more jarring is that the bomb in the intro landed pretty close.... they already sabotaged themselves.... that is if they even care.

What makes the state of the city more jarring is that the bomb in the intro landed pretty close.... they already sabotaged themselves.... that is if they even care.

Agreed, but they're in it for the cool factor, because after all, no matter how bad nukes are there is almost nothing better in terms of explosions when watching a nuke go off.

According to the concept art, it appears only one bomb hit the greater Boston area, which explains why the city is still pretty intact besides accounting for 200 years of disrepair.

I think you have it wrong. The bomb in the intro landed near the protagonist's home in Sanctuary Hills, which is close to Concord, and Concord is far from Boston. We're not looking at Boston in the part where the bomb lands not too far from Vault 111.

Why would there only 1 bomb anyway? Also the Protagonist home barely looks destroyed, even tho the bomb hit so close.

Some laser defense system is probably the reason. It would be almost a copy Mr. House's plan in Fallout: New Vegas, but it's the only explanation I can think of for why Boston is largely intact. The explosion looked close in the trailer, but I think it's clear the protagonist and the other people on top of Vault 111's entrance were out of the immediate blast zone. The House is a little further away from the explosion, so I think it's survival is reasonable.

Where the bomb hit is the Glowing Sea, which could be like the Divide in Lonesome Road, and where things don't look so new.

Some laser defense system is probably the reason. It would be almost a copy Mr. House's plan in Fallout: New Vegas, but it's the only explanation I can think of for why Boston is largely intact. The explosion looked close in the trailer, but I think it's clear the protagonist and the other people on top of Vault 111's entrance were out of the immediate blast zone. The House is a little further away from the explosion, so I think it's survival is reasonable.

Where the bomb hit is the Glowing Sea, which could be like the Divide in Lonesome Road, and where things don't look so new.

Well, House went to MIT in Fallout canon, and so plausibly had contributed to a significant portion of their endowment. So it wouldn't be entirely surprising if he was on the board of trustees and shared literally his exact design for a ground based anti-ballistic missile system with his alma mater. Like these are things that Bethesda could just declare as canonical and nobody (even us) would bat an eye as it's consistent with prior lore, plausible, and explains something about the world.

Like at some point in Fallout 4 you will presumably be talking to someone from the Institute who is telling you about their organization, and you can just throw in a line there about "200 years ago, our campus was largely shielded from the worst by a missile defense technology donated by the great Robert House, founder of RobCo and a venerated alumnus."

The game's probably not going to include the portion of the city that was directly hit by the bombs, since there's unlikely to be anything of particular interest there (as it was destroyed 200 years ago.) We know there's going to be boundaries to the game world, so you might as well put one there.

Last edited:
Hey that is clever and it would fit the lore as you just wrote yourself.
It's...it's too obvious, too smart.
There is no way this would actually be used as a rationale to explain why parts of Boston did not suffer as much as other parts.

Last edited:
Dang it Cabbage! Stop having better ideas and smarter writing that Bethsoft! It was obviously Mass Production Liberty Primes and their anti-commie lasers!

I honestly think Boston in FO4 being nearly brand spankin' new seems to be them addressing FO3s lack of rebuilding. They just went in the opposite direction and now Boston, on of the largest cities in the U.S has very little damage from the looks of it. Hell, most of what we've seen in FO4, most places look to be intact. I assume so you can get materials to build up your base.

Last edited:
Which kinda begs the question why build a base when you have a city?

Probably because Bethesda realizes that people will ultimately find the city lacking. I mean, you've visited a city in a modern RPG right? They always cordon you off from large parts of them, are smaller or less populated than you'd like, and have less going on there than would be ideal. Beth's fanthings mostly just want to deplete loot caves, so the spending a lot of time and effort on a place where there are already people who are doing more or less okay doesn't make a ton of sense. I mean, take Skyrim for evidence of Beth's design priorities, Whiterun has like 25 buildings and 65 people. But that's not a real place (or even a fictional version of a real place), and this is something where setting a game in a fictional analogue of the real world hurts you since we know Boston is like 85 square miles and houses like 600,000 people, so no matter what the ruins of that city are going to be somewhat underwhelming.

But if you feel the little settlement you built is awesome, you're going to worry less about how the actual city is kind of underwhelming.

It was obviously Mass Production Liberty Primes and their anti-commie lasers!

Dear god... I can actually see them trying something exactly this dumb.

Which kinda begs the question why build a base when you have a city?
But if you feel the little settlement you built is awesome, you're going to worry less about how the actual city is kind of underwhelming.

Their philosophy can basically be summed up thus: Player = God. Absolutely everything revolves around them (see Beth's reliance on the Chosen One trope), everything in the world is made specifically for the player's benefit, and yet the world doesn't change or evolve at all even with the player's input, because the world isn't important, only the player is.

Last edited:
Radiosity and anyone else, do you think there's a good possibility Bethesda will actually care this time to have choices and consequences in Fallout 4?

No ... I mean, I know why Beth wants it. I am just curious if there will be any kind of explanation in the game or if they just want that every person has to assume that they are playing the equivalent of Hans Sprungfeld.

I am just curious if you're getting out of the vault and building towns and villages for lulz. I mean if the wasteland has already a relatively safe place with enough food, resources and knowledge to support people ... why ... would anyone get the idea to venture out in to the wasteland to start a new community? That isn't even without risks in our world, like with the first settlers, hell there are many accounts where some even turned to canibalism even because they have been runing out of food not knowing how to survive correctly in the wild.

So far I have not seen one argument or information about why you're player is so special that he can build succesfull villages or why there is even a need for it.

Back