Fallout 2 Restoration Project 1.2 (Unofficial FO2 Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some (or maybe all) speak english, but prefer playing in their native language. If there was a Bulgarian translation... I suppose I would prefer playing Fallout in Bulgarian, but I'm not sure since that could ruin the atmosphere.

Blackened said:
Some (or maybe all) speak english, but prefer playing in their native language. If there was a Bulgarian translation... I suppose I would prefer playing Fallout in Bulgarian, but I'm not sure since that could ruin the atmosphere.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm absolutely positive I'd hate playing Fallout in Croatian. Or anything else, for that matter. I hate Croatian localisations *shudders*
But that's just me ^^

Maybe I didn't express myself well... For example, for the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R, I installed russian dialog sounds add on (it makes all spoken language in the game in russian), because Chernobyl was in soviet union, and russian fits a lot better than english, even thought I DON'T UNDERSTAND RUSSIAN, and i assumed any serious gamer would do the same, that's why i assumed that no serious fallout fan would want to play it in any other language than english. I would definitely not play fallout in my native language, but maybe that's just me...

But it gives you nothing if you can't understand a shit. I don't think, that you would like to play games like Final Fantasy in original language.

hiperborejai said:
Maybe I didn't express myself well... For example, for the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R, I installed russian dialog sounds add on (it makes all spoken language in the game in russian), because Chernobyl was in soviet union, and russian fits a lot better than english, even thought I DON'T UNDERSTAND RUSSIAN, and i assumed any serious gamer would do the same, that's why i assumed that no serious fallout fan would want to play it in any other language than english. I would definitely not play fallout in my native language, but maybe that's just me...

Agreed. I loved Stalker because while most of it was in english and understandable, there was still conversation going on in Russian which I did not understand. Was really great.

I would really not want to play fallout in another language. The translation usually loses a lot of the original content. I shudder everytime I watch a dubbed film lol...

The point is - wait a bit longer. If it is said that we should wait until all available versions will be released - we must wait. Besides - it would be quite unfair for those who await translations. Some of us would be waiting for translations while others would have already finished the game. (Sorry for bad English)

I understand the frustration over waiting for the RP to be translated. My reasoning for this is many fold.

1. By releasing the newest RP without the all the dialogue files translated, I feel that the work is not complete and thus I am releasing an unfinished product. I cannot accept this.

2. If I release now and then re-release it with the translations, there will be versions of the RP 1.3 floating around the net without the latest translated dialogue files which will lead to confusion.

3. There are people who do play the RP with Polish/French dialogue and it just isn't fair to them to have an incomplete experience.

It is my fault for sending the new dialogue files later than what I wanted thereby leading to this new delay. Still, it gives me more time to test and ponder any other changes I wish to include in this release. Hang in there everyone.

killap said:
Still, it gives me more time to test and ponder any other changes I wish to include in this release.

That's nice. And a good enough reason to wait as long as needed for RP 1.3.

Lexx said:
But it gives you nothing if you can't understand a shit. I don't think, that you would like to play games like Final Fantasy in original language.
Given that the patch is released on two English-only sites (this one and killap.net), how many people who don't understand English are likely to be waiting to download 1.3 immediately upon release? Even if 1.2 and earlier have gotten extensive press coverage on gaming sites and in gaming magazines in other languages, how widespread among people who don't read English is the knowledge that 1.3 is going to be released soon?

I understand killap's desire to release a complete multilanguage version of the patch instead of releasing languages in phases, and I'm not criticizing his choice by any means. However, I too would tend to think that the overwhelming majority of people who will be playing RP 1.3 shortly after it's released at least understand English, even if they would prefer to play in some other language.

delamer@mail.ru said:
2 hiperborejai
I agree with you. Games must be played on native language for full effect and atmosphere

Exceptions in portuguese: GTA games and Halo 3.

The subtitles in portuguese are absolutely awesome, really bad ass and mofo. And Halo 3 is a valuable gem, so rare is a game fully translated officially and with such an amazing quality (IMO).

I couldn't even imagine to play Fallout with finnish translations, it would be horrible and hilarious.

Also, 100 pages in this thread! Wohoo!

Wow, the bashing of game localizations if strong here. 8-) Oh well, and I thought I would be making people happy by having my work available in different languages. There is no pleasing these "glittering gems of hatred" that visit NMA. ;) Still, my Polish and French translators have done a fine job and I appreciate all that they have done.

In any event, this extra time has allowed me to reconsider kaga and I have decided he needs a major overhaul. I strayed too much from his original intent and I will be changing this. Kaga was the most hated part of the RP and I intend to fix this.

killap said:
Wow, the bashing of game localizations if strong here. 8-) Oh well, and I thought I would be making people happy by having my work available in different languages. There is no pleasing these "glittering gems of hatred" that visit NMA. ;) Still, my Polish and French translators have done a fine job and I appreciate all that they have done.

In any event, this extra time has allowed me to reconsider kaga and I have decided he needs a major overhaul. I strayed too much from his original intent and I will be changing this. Kaga was the most hated part of the RP and I intend to fix this.

Bashing the quality of game localizations. I for one being a good translation is possible just really rare and hence why most want it in the original language. Original Intent of the designers is quite easy to lose with a translation.... just take a look at Google translation programs.

Edit: Completely forgot to mention the great job you are doing on following that Intent. Wish you could get a hold of Van Buren so we could see Fallout 3 as it was suppose to be.

Fade said:
Bashing the quality of game localizations. I for one being a good translation is possible just really rare and hence why most want it in the original language. Original Intent of the designers is quite easy to lose with a translation.... just take a look at Google translation programs.
Oh, I fully understand that it is nearly impossible to capture the original feel of a text when translating. I just wanted to comment that no matter what I do there is always someone wanting more. :wink: 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back