Fallout 2 Restoration Project Gameplay Thread

teukros said:
Nevill, I also play ironman but before I leave the village, I spend some time practicing my Steal skill with the tame geckos just outside of the village (plant-steal-plant-steal-plant nets you 150 xp).
Wait, there are tame geckos? I thought they go hostile after a while. Anyway, if I wanted to do that, I's rather use Cameron in the Temple of Trials. Steal from him, then beat him until he is afraid of you, then use him for practice.

I'm not using this 'tactic' anymore. I don't really have a problem with exp.

teukros said:
You need 21,000 xp to reach Level 6 which you can do in under an hour, then put both of your perks into both levels of Bonus Move (which your non-combat character will probably want anyway).
Already did. Running from encounters is so much easier now. But you need to live until you get lvl9 to get them. I think you perks do not accumulate, so you can't get 2 lvl6 perks if you do not choose one at lvl3

teukros said:
Another suggestion is, when you do leave Arroyo for the first time, leave at night.
Why is that? Kaga can show up anytime. :)

Nevill said:
I think you perks do not accumulate, so you can't get 2 lvl6 perks if you do not choose one at lvl3

They do accumulate. Last play-through I took nothing until Level 12, then took both levels of Lifegiver, Gain Agility, and Living Anatomy all at once.

Nevill said:
teukros said:
Another suggestion is, when you do leave Arroyo for the first time, leave at night.
Why is that? Kaga can show up anytime. :)

So if Kaga and/or his henchmen have any ranged weapons there will be a darkness penalty working against them (I think?)

.Pixote. said:
I don't even use the NPC's any more, and I always play on the hardest settings, and just stick to a melee character. Early in the game I'm pretty tough, but once I leave the Den I run more often then fight in a random encounter...and it feels good, I know what battles to fight and what to avoid. In the future I'm hoping that every item in the game can have at least 1 weight, and 1 size, to slow down the hoarding that takes place... :roll:

And they can steal your stuff if you put them in a random bookcase.
:wink:

clippertm said:
Is there any way / other mod / install option to restore the original inventories of the shops in the game?
I haven't altered the loot tables to shops in a way that would affect what items they give. Are you perhaps misremembering how those shops behave? Can anyone confirm that in the original game these shops gave better weapons?

Hello Killap,

Thank you for your reply.

This is weird.. Maybe New Reno Arms did not have an incredible stock, but I am quite positive that the "Big Guns" shop outside the NCR had proper guns. Now it only has like a combat shotgun and some low end ammo...

I played the game several times and I am also quite sure that I always knew what to do with with those caps.

It seems somebody else noticed the same thing:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=796425&sid=c5589a8b8d07413f3a7031cca94b51a6

(See post from matthewfarmery)

Could it come from YAMM?

Maybe using the Fallout 2 Market Booster mod would fix things? Is it compatible with the UP&RP?

Many thanks,

killap said:
misremembering
Dude, is that even a proper word? :P

@ clippertm

Are you a made man in New Reno? So you can ask to see the special stock?
In NCR, did you check all three shelves or did you only talk to the shop owner?

Also, the stock they carry is somewhat random. Did you try to leave the map and come back after a week or so to get the merchants to restock?

clippertm said:
I am quite positive that the "Big Guns" shop outside the NCR had proper guns. Now it only has like a combat shotgun and some low end ammo...

Sorry if this is obvious, but you know that his stock is different depending on if you talk to the dwarven shopkeeper, or if you look at the shelves behind him, which all have different items for sale.

killap said:
Darek said:
killap said:
misremembering
Dude, is that even a proper word? :P
Heh, according to the free dictionary and wiktionary it is. 8-)
Heh, that proves nothing man, just some Yanks gotten confused is all. ;)
Really though, it's not in all dictionaries and it's debatable whether it's 'proper' or not.

To me it sounds like something that would come out of the mouth of a certain dumbass from Texas, just saying. :twisted:

I must be really stupid, since I cannot find this second area of the EPA. I would really appreciate some help. I'm in the main aboveground area but can't the green exit grid? I've looked everywhere.

Oh. Thanks! But I'm still lost about to fix the generator. Every time I try to fix it I get a notice that says you cannot get there.

Spoilers! You need junk to do it and only after you get the quest from holograms. You get to holograms through one of the vents by using pole on the middle fan.

I meant the Hologram generator. Every time I try to fix what I think is tied to the magnetic field problem it says I cannot get there.

Spoilers
Aha- you need to enter the right room -it is next to(on the right) to the room where holograms are and use one of the computer and run diagnostic on it,after that you can repair it and magnetic field will calapse allowing the hologram generator to work well again.

Let me guess, the save file is corrupted...if it has occurred just after leaving Arroyo then just restart the game, but in general you need a clean save before you enter any new town...and a separate quick-save, actually 2 separate quick-saves just to avoid this. I can easily have 30 separate saves before finishing the game, and if there is a problem with any particular location just load an earlier state and continue with the game. :wink:

PS: never quick-save during a fight, the chances of a corruption are higher. Killap has mentioned this many, many times...

Back