Fallout 3 first footage

Myryad said:
Well that was a bit of a disapointment :? why the hell is the enclave airing music on the radio? Shouldn't they be airing propaganda, like "Join the enclave, we are the future" or some presidential speeches or something like that?

A better question is, WHY BROADCAST ON THE RADIO IN A WORLD WHERE NOBODY IS LISTENING TO IT?

coliphorbs said:
Myryad said:
Well that was a bit of a disapointment :? why the hell is the enclave airing music on the radio? Shouldn't they be airing propaganda, like "Join the enclave, we are the future" or some presidential speeches or something like that?

A better question is, WHY BROADCAST ON THE RADIO IN A WORLD WHERE NOBODY IS LISTENING TO IT?

for the same reason wall-e kept piling up junk cubes? Its automated. from the beginning of the war. 8-) I guess. haha. or not. I just wonder how closely they're actually following the mythos of the game. Its perplexing to see the big news sites confuse enclave with brotherhood of steel, etc etc.

Looks like a dumbed-down console FPS.

The VATS is purely for variation i guess. There is no RPG here! its freakin slow mo Max Payne style.

I hope the PC version looks a bit more sophisticated for the pip boy.

They never intended it to be anything resembling Fallout. People don't even know its, in some form, an RPG (or is it?), there are so many comments all over the web like "COD4 looks better than this" and "Awesome game, i love FPS titles!".

Mission accomplished, whores.

Shouldn't they be airing propaganda, like "Join the enclave, we are the future" or some presidential speeches or something like that?

They are, according to previews. And the music in between.

Some quotes from the trailer on gametralers:

I dontlike the whole pause time attack...it ruins challenge and acts like an RP game
I totally agree. Ruining the challenge. Looks like your not really playing the game, someone's taking over, n doing the work for you. Mmmm.
To all those who were complaining about no game play footage on the other trailers, I hope your happy. Thank god I already preordered my special edtion of this game. I loved the first 2 Fallouts I know I'm going to love this one.
what the hell is this ???
it sucks the shooting is not cool a very bad presentation and the guy who is playing sucks too and that sysytem that makes auto aiming sucks too cuz whats the point it makes the gameplay very easy if i can use it all time and like if u want to chose this stupid system with a sniper they will tell u what place u want to shoot and the genius move is in the head thats why it is stupid
Kind of a funny read up to the point where it's just more of the same. Lots of stupid comments, mostly crap, about 25% of people complaining it won't be good, they were hyped (stoopid) and now they're not and all that crap.

Just letting you know...

Anyway, if bethesda doesn't sell well on the first two weeks, it's never gonna sell well. Just think of the bugs and all the little stuff people don't like (like no shadows, like thinking it's a shooter and it's not, or the other way around)... People aren't gonna like it, no matter what the mags say. Sure, it's gonna get 10/10 every place (specially over at destructoid and gamespy) but I don't know... I think it's gonna tank.

Hair6a11 said:
And I can't remember how weight is going to work with this new iteration. You'd think a fatman munition would be insanely heavy? Thoughts
Todd said all ammo is weightless in the recent Q&A, so no.
Morbus said:
Blatant HL2 ripoff? Or am I wrong? I seem to remember the exact same thing in HL2...
Yeah, but it's like totally different this time around because they're only playing music instead of taking your picture.

I don't think what was shown was anything more than an exercise in showing off a bit of contrived combat, some of the fancier guns, as well as a bit of the scenery. It's a 4 minute slot in a Microsoft lead 360 presentation really just to show that the game exists. I'm sure some more in depth gameplay footage will surface at some point, however I personally hope they keep it to a minimum because I want to avoid spoilers.

Oblivion mod w/guns: Fallout TC.

It does look bland, for sure. Movement is still stiff like Oblivion, third person view is useless/annoying, VATS seems like an afterthought, death animations are rather sterile, weapon ballistics are not realistic, and so on.

At least you can dispatch annoying enemies from a distance with a GUN rather than a sword, lol. Basically, if I did not have a clue what Fallout was and having played Oblivion, then I would give it a try.

This title does not deserve a '3' in it's name, at all. It's looks Fallout-ish in looks and semi-concept, and that is all. Of course Bethsoft feels they've "nailed" it. Oh why, oh why, did they have to be the ones to receive the rights to the Fallout IP... This is terrible.

It's not bad... for a shooter. I don't know how
much this resembles Bioshock as some of
you said (haven't played it) but it surely is not
the RPG I would want to play. Well to me, it looked
a bit like STALKER, only STALKER was more difficult.
I think they forgot to show us how 'tactical' the AI is
since all we've seen is it getting vaporized, decapitated,
etc.

The whole VATS thing doesn't look promising... I guess
it'll only be useful when you're overrun by millions of
foes (as we've seen in one of the trailers).

Oh and a W(hy)TF: WTF the Enclave looks like BOS
from Tactics?! They liked the Power Armour design more,
or is Eastern BOS the new Enclave?

Well, I'm speechless. Looking at this brings a whole lot of games to mind, but wouldn't, no, shouldn't one expect Fallout to be a little bit higher on that influence list seeing as this is supposedly a sequel?

All that remains from the originals are a couple of sound effects and the odd element that managed to escape Bethesda's revisionist urges.

*sigh*

The new Enclave president deciding to subjugate the "mutants" instead of exterminating them doesn't sound implausible to me.

I'm speechless. I was actually one of those people who had a spark of hope that this game won't turn out that bad and maybe it'll be fun to play. Now all hope is lost. Ok, maybe there's still some left in the non-combat aspects of the game. But after comparing my expectations with what I saw I'll try not to expect anything anymore. Maybe then I won't be disappointed as much.

The video is really bad in terms of concept. Whoever works in Bethesda's marketing should bash their head repeatedly on their desks and stone to death whoever let this see the light of day. Bethesda, you had one of the last chances to convince the raging crowd of diehard Fallout fans that your game won't be so bad, that it may actually be decent. What do you show them? 5 minutes of FPS combat.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Todd says: "Well you can do this, do that, you can be stealthy, you can meet people, be good, bad, I can hack this computer, blah blah blah" and he goes on shooting people in the face. Continuously. For the whole time. If you're talking about features show them FFS. I'd like to see how you can stealthy sneak pass guards, how you can meet friends/enemies and talk with them or hack stuff. Show all those cool posibilities that the player has. Or at least make two videos. One with the combat and one with other stuff.

I don't like the 3rd person view. It's basically the same as 1stPV (well... slightly zoomed out) with a silouhette of the player's character. It's the same to TPP as VATS to turn based combat. Half-assed.

The radio - a bit too GTA for me. Maybe it'll have all those cool features like picking up transmissions which enrich the game in some way (distress calls, quests, easter eggs or something).

Fatman looks very unimpressive. From all the hype I thought it was something more spectacular. Much more spectacular.

Even though there was a lot of bad opinions about it I really wanted to play Fallout 3. I was even willing to upgrade my ancient 3 year old PC. Now I guess I'll wait for Diablo 3. Sorry.

Before watching the footage I decided not to take any offense about it trampling all over Fallout. So I watched it like it was a totally new game. Even this wasn't enough to save me from being disappointed.

I won't bother saying what I didn't like since it was the same stuff you guys didn't like.

I don't think they'd change much by the time the game gets released, nor that other areas would be a lot more interesting. They obviously thought that what they just showed was representative and fun otherwise they wouldn't have showed it.

I thought they'd at least be able to make a decent game but this looks mediocre.

maggit said:
It's not bad... for a shooter. I don't know how
much this resembles Bioshock as some of
you said (haven't played it) but it surely is not
the RPG I would want to play. Well to me, it looked
a bit like STALKER, only STALKER was more difficult.
I think they forgot to show us how 'tactical' the AI is
since all we've seen is it getting vaporized, decapitated,
etc.

The whole VATS thing doesn't look promising... I guess
it'll only be useful when you're overrun by millions of
foes (as we've seen in one of the trailers).

Oh and a W(hy)TF: WTF the Enclave looks like BOS
from Tactics?! They liked the Power Armour design more,
or is Eastern BOS the new Enclave?

This is not like Bioshock or STALKER. Those games, even Bioshock, utilize more realism, rather than randomness while shooting. The only thing in common is that they are all are FPS. And as far as A.I., I'm assuming it will not be very "tactical."

Ausir said:
The new Enclave president deciding to subjugate the "mutants" instead of exterminating them doesn't sound implausible to me.

Because it doesn't directly contradict everything the Enclave stands for?

Oh wait, that's what Bethesda does to factions.

Because it doesn't directly contradict everything the Enclave stands for?

Oh wait, that's what Bethesda does to factions.

Well, enslaving the mutants does not directly contradict what the Enclave stands for - they have used slave labor in the past. And even the Nazis used propaganda in Poland, even though they planned to exterminate Slavs together with the Jews.

Last I know the Enclave was bent on exterminating all those damn 'mutes', they weren't even interested using them for slave labor for any considerable long time, only as long as they needed them for the 'project'.

Back