Fallout 3 in May Issue of PC Zone UK

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    How much energy can you spend on posting as if nothing had ever been said on the subject before?

2. VDweller

VDweller Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 31, 2005
    It's appalling, I agree. Thank God you've showed up and shown them the errors of their hatemongering ways.

Speaking about hatemongering, I noticed that CVG reposted this article...
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160778
    ...adding "It's the RPG follow-up that's been long looked-for by the series seriously hardcore fanbase, a fanbase that the developer has to face and one that's highly dubious about what Bethesda will produce. "

Nice change of style from "those fucking savages who should be taken outside the internet and shot" to "seriously hardcore fanbase that Beth will have to face eventually the Thunderdome style".

Anyway, you can leave your comments there, and the first and only comment is:

"I am one of those guys that played Wasteland on the C64 then Fallout, Fallout 2 and Tactics. I have a special place in my heart for these games but I also loved Elder Scrolls and Oblivion. If anyone can pull off a decent Fallout 3 it will probably be Bethesda."

It smells of something a marketing department would cook. It has everything: the mandatory mention of Fallout - true fan!, the honorable mention of Wasteland - instant cred!!!, the love of both Elder Scrolls AND Oblivion - true patriot :salute:, and a strong belief that FO3 is in the good hands. It's hard to come up with a more positive message, isn't it?

Well, the point is, if someone wants to say something, now would be a good time. Viral marketing FTW.

3. Melanthius

Melanthius First time out of the vault

Sep 18, 2005
    The title of the comic strip you linked is "The Other Foot". I am not too familiar with Penny Arcade, but based on the title alone I would have to say they are poking fun at themselves (i.e., the shoe being on the other foot) for some of the things they might have said in the past. Just a guess, though.

How would that in anyway be different from any other dev. that has an open exchange with potential customers. In any industry, actually, you can expect to hear at least 10-20 "your product suxors" for every 1 "this area needs improvement in this way".

From my point of view if you're looking to create a product with a long dev cycle, no matter what that product might be, and you want it to sell well AND please your potential customers, you involve them in the process to a certain degree. That's just smart business.

4. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    Actually, I believe that is CVG's own commentary.

Anyway, thanks for pointing this out, we were looking for some verification that those quotes are accurate. The newspost has been updated to reflect this.

5. mortiz

mortiz Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 21, 2005
    Looks like Pete is trying to apply the verbal lube so-to-speak. At-least when Bethesda do finally put it in we'll have to go "well, he did warn us we might not like being shafted!", just so-happens the people who don't are the fans of the series. Well, it's pushing onwards and upwards for Bethesda. They probably view the Fallout fanbase as some cancer that they could probably do better without at this point. Hell, there are plenty of people out there that will be impressed just by a name-drop, those that have not actually played the game but have heard about it. Namely the majority TES fans who defend Bethesda's right to make "Oblivion with guns" on a daily basis. They will happily fill-out Beth's new and improved Fallout fanbase. Y'know when those people do finally pick up "Fallout: the simmering piles" at least they'll be getting exactly what they want.

6. Maphusio

Maphusio Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Sep 25, 2004
    ...So some of us are just now finding out Bethesda is making Fallout 3...

7. RPG of the year!!

RPG of the year!! First time out of the vault

Jan 23, 2007
    It's just you, Sport.

Given that Bethesda's grand public unveiling of Fallout 3 is at this stage purely redundant in light of their own post-TES: Daggerfall history of raping every property they are involved with into braindead Xbox action twitchfests, miserable failure at(and inabbility to comprehend) every single design element that comprises Fallout, direct statements by Pete and Todd making it quite clear that they inhabit their own insular bubbleworld where Oblivion was a flawless CRPG masterpiece and Bethesda is a shining beacon of the genre, methods of dealing with criticism that range between ignoring it outright and Orwellian censorship, and independant infoleaks that point towards even Chuck Cuevas as having had more of a clue...

...I find it remarkably easy to spend all the sweltering energy of expressing my consumer dissatisfaction that Fallout is once again being crafted into an utter turd by a troupe of munchkins.

Now tell me, how much energy can be spent on remaining utterly clueless when a wealth of essentially unavoidable news is avaliable with which you could be educated using a modicum of self-effort?

Cute. Now explain to me how any criticism towards Bethesda can be constructive when they ignore criticism of any way, shape, and kind(except to ban/blacklist as a result, or in extremely rare cases, go far enough as to pay vaporous lipservice).

Really, please do. It should be good for a laugh.

...Because only 1 in atleast 10 members of the community even bothers to take a stab at constructive criticism when Fallout 3 is a trainwreck regardless. For added hilarity, Uncle Pete states in this very thread that Bethesda is making FO3 their way, peroid. Too bad, so sad if anybody has a problem with that. Which makes any attempt at constructive criticism even more futile, and renders any hope of Bethesda being swayed by fan-input even less grounded in reality.

Thanks for playing, sweetie. Do come again, but next time, I recommend bringing a clue to the party.

8. Mick1965

Mick1965 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 2, 2006
    Are you sure you're not Roshambo? Maybe you should go and check, just to be sure.

Mick

9. Melanthius

Sep 18, 2005
    OT

Give this guy (RPGoty) a break already. Since when have we known Rosh to post anywhere without saying, unequivocally, I AM FUCKIN' ROSHAMBO, PREPARE TO BE CRUSHED!

Granted, the writing style is somewhat similar. Yet it is dissimilar enough to doubt this current 'conspiracy theory' that they are one and the same. Unless, of course, Rosh has a multiple disorder. That might be something. Or nothing. Just read what both have written; they may be kindred souls, but I see their writing style as distinctively different.

I don't like Rosh, but I have a great deal of respect for him because he is unafraid, unashamed, and doesn't give a great fuck what anyone thinks about him. That is a rare quality that must be admired.

Rosh, though I might not like him, has never struck me as the type of individual that would hide behind a net-pseudonym; that is the kind of thing cowards do, and Rosh is not a coward. He might be a dick, he might be an asshole, but he is certainly not a pussy!

If I am wrong about this I will willingly eat crow, but I will shed a tear at the same time; I would be greatly disappointed if Rosh turned out to be that kind of pseudonym-using puss.

10. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    Roshambo did ban himself when he left, take that information as you will.

11. Mal

Mal First time out of the vault

Feb 15, 2007
    All I got out of that was fuck you all, this is our game and if you don't like it tough shit.

I think it's pretty safe to say now that Fallout three will be a first person shooter.

May the true Fallout series rest in peace because they should be outlawed from calling this soon to be smoldering pile FO3.

12. Odin

Odin Carbon Dated and Proud
    Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    The sky is falling, eeeek run!

13. Melanthius

Sep 18, 2005
    Damn, I intended to mention that but forgot (drunken poster I). I also intended to say something to the effect that RPGoty should be given credit for his/her/it's own opinions.

Though they may share similar dispositions and proclivities, I find their writing styles to be different enough to make me doubt that they are the same person.

Again, if I am wrong, I will eat crow, and the respect I have for Rosh will drop through the floor.

14. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003
    The replies at Kotaku seem to be a good way of showing how everyone is talking about the game outside the community.

15. Niektóry

Niektóry First time out of the vault

Dec 15, 2003
    Damn, they don't even care what the game is, they'll buy it just because it has "Fallout" in the name. If it's really how most people think then we can start anticipating the new FO:BOS, but this time a successful one.

16. xu

xu Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Feb 4, 2007
    Uhm, how can you feel that, anyway? This sentence is the best i've read so far. How can you come up with this stuff like this? :lol: Developers and PR people have a decent lack of logic and knowledge nowadays.

17. Mick1965

Mick1965 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 2, 2006
    I was kind of stirring :) , but RPG of the year does have a way of puttings things that's not unlike Roshambo, which I think is a compliment. Either way I get a lot of enjoyment reading both Roshambo's and RPG of the year's opinions on FO3 and Bethesda.

Mick

18. Bullseye

Bullseye First time out of the vault

Jun 1, 2006
    I really cannot understand what the hell bethesda think they're doing... Interplay made a game called Fallout and it was a success after which Fallout 2 came, which was also a success (I personally think Fallout Tactics was a lesser game compared to FO 1 & 2).

Now a company like bethesda think they can use the skeleton of a, from my point of view, rather disappointing Hack&Slash as Oblivion to replace the world of Fallout to an FPS. Shit doesn't work that way!
    My opinion has always been "why change a winning horse" and I wonder why the people at bethesda have not figured this out. If you change something this does not mean you're improving something.

Then again I think I understand what the hell bethesda is doing: They believe that the loyal Fallout fans will buy it anyway, just because it's a Fallout, while people who have never heard of the game will think it's just another FPS, but in a very special environment which will spark their interest. They simply hope that they can attract two different groups, namely the FPS-players and the most of us.
    I will most probably not buy Fallout 3 because it has lost the whole Fallout concept. Something that I might do, depending on the quality, is buy the newest game made by bethesda. Because there is no Fallout without the turn-based gameplay.

I want to add one last thing to this reply, namely that I based this opinion on what I've heard or read about Fallout 3. If any huge mistakes are made, ignore my message (partly or wholly).

19. Bulhakov

Bulhakov First time out of the vault

Aug 10, 2006
    Wow! Talk about stirring the ant pile... :shock:

I made a mistake of making one small comment in the defence of Bethesda on an NMA forum and I apologize. Bethesda's absolute ignorance of the desires of their clients can only be measured by the millions the company makes. (It's not their fault that most Fallout fans, including me, are not part of their target console-loving audience, but that's capitalism for you - they can spend their millions on any franchise they want)

Well, good luck with showing that customer dissatisfaction with no product yet ;-) I'm just saying I'll wait for the game to come out to trash it. I love the "Shimmering Piles" comment :D, but I still hope F3 won't be that bad.

20. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Admin Orderite Board Cop oTO

Apr 3, 2003
    Kotaku is hardly representative of the gaming market. Though it probably is Bethesda's target market.

Section8 translated the PC Game Zone UK article, by the way: