Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

Great that it is clarified now. Bethesda was always friendly to mod developers and it would be a very strange turn if this would change with the classics.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support bros! We are sticking with FOnline - it will be easier to create a game closer to original Van Buren and the team will be less stressed knowing that Zenimax is not monitoring us.

If i may give you a suggestion. After i read an other thread on your project, i noticed some advices to change its name.
IMO it would be a bad idea as it would prevent a lot of people for trying it, mainly people like myself, who don't play mods much, but would consider a van buren project as something as important as the canon material (like restoration project/FIXT), and play it anyway. If you hide the fact it is Van Buren, only mods player would try it.

On an unrelated note, i hope a fonline single player mod won't require to start a server, but i bet your team will try to answer the question far before me...

If i may give you a suggestion. After i read an other thread on your project, i noticed some advices to change its name.
IMO it would be a bad idea as it would prevent a lot of people for trying it, mainly people like myself, who don't play mods much, but would consider a van buren project as something as important as the canon material (like restoration project/FIXT), and play it anyway. If you hide the fact it is Van Buren, only mods player would try it.

Thank you, I am well aware of that! It will be more easy for Fallout fans to recognize name Van Buren than some completely new one.

On an unrelated note, i hope a fonline single player mod won't require to start a server, but i bet your team will try to answer the question far before me...

No online server will be needed. This is a single player game.

Just to clear things up a bit. Gstaff (the community manager at Bethesda) sent an answer after I asked about the problem:

I cannot see a reason where we'd treat these games differently from how we treat Fallout 3, Morrowind, Skyrim, etc.

Which was what I thought in the begining. Also there is no need to fear that Bethesda would watch over a specific modding project. That would be simply not doable by the amount of projects that are happening for their games. A simple visit on Nexus (www.nexusmods.com) would show why :grin: .

Still I can see the logic to use FOnline for your mod. It's always better to have full access to the source code of the engine that I am using for the work I do.

Last edited:
I'll try but it seems these guys have vanished. Too bad, they were on the right track with their mod!

Jesterka, maybe. But Continuum was just recently on site. I don't know if they are tired of making that mod or whether they have the old files they're willing to share, though.
Also, what is your strengths at modding? I just knew someone who might help you with critters/scenery.

I'm doing mapping, new art, sound effects, and programming. I will also do a bit of writing. As you can see I would be grateful to have someone help me with any of these. Let me know if your friend's interested in joining the team.

Since you went to FOnline engine do we need FO2 or FOT to play the mod?

All fonline clients/servers need Master.dat & critter.dat from Fallout 2. Some specific servers also need additionnal files from Fo1, Fo2 & FoT.

Since you went to FOnline engine do we need FO2 or FOT to play the mod?

All fonline clients/servers need Master.dat & critter.dat from Fallout 2. Some specific servers also need additionnal files from Fo1, Fo2 & FoT.

You can also use fallout.dat instead of master & critter. What are additional files from Fallout 2? When you use master/critter dats you have everything from Fallout 2...

Because of legal stuff I have to check for Fallout 2 installation and I will need some robots from Fallout Tactics so that must be installed as well.

Any mappers out there that would like to join the team? I want to start working on new art ASAP and an additional mapper would speed things up!

Last edited:
But GOG handed over FO1, FO2 and FOT for free less than a month ago.

Some people missed the chance. The site was pretty much saturated those days.
Also, if I understand correctly, he's getting the boxed version, which has its own charm.

Yes that's right. Back in December I wasn't thinking about Tactics, and I already had CDs for F1 and F2. A friend bought the boxed games 15 years ago, threw out the boxes, threw out the unread manuals and anything else besides the CDs, played around with the games for a while, passed the CDs on to me. He's like that. A couple of years ago I bought a backup CD for F2, no manual of course. The copy of Tactics from Amazon is 20+ dollars, I would be thrilled if it included a manual. But besides that, I don't like to buy something and not have it on a CD or DVD.

Working hard on Hecate's pyramid! I'm currently finishing the paintover. This will be then combined with the source layer to give it that extra realistic touch.

Here's the WIP of an eastern corner

KZGCd8p.png

Attachments

• KZGCd8p.png
    KZGCd8p.png
    622.6 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Back