Fallout 5 Predictions

Nirv

Ghoulrilla
A thread to post your predictions about Fallout 5's location, factions, etc., as well as respond to other people's predictions. These are meant to be genuine, realistic predictions, not wishful thinking or what you hope it is like.

---

I personally think that Fallout 5 will be in San Francisco and it will take place in the year 2297. And I think it's going to be very bad.

My reasoning for this is that I've heard before that San Francisco was actually considered to be the location of Fallout 4 and Bethesda has shown quite an interest in San Francisco lore in Fallout 4. For instance, Kellogg lived in San Francisco as an adult and worked with the Shi. Another example would be how Bethesda strangely and nonsensically included the Hubologists in Nuka-World.

Bethesda's interest in the Shi actually makes sense when you consider how much of a hard-on they appear to have for pre-war Chinese stuff. Fallout 3 had so many Chinese weapons, Fallout 3 and 4 both had Chinese ghouls, Fallout 4 references the Shi...

I think Fallout 5 will reuse the same shtick where you get to choose between four factions to join, just like in FONV and FO4. These four factions will be the New California Republic, the Brotherhood of Steel, the Shi, and the Followers of the Apocalypse.

The NCR will be neutral/good-ish and will require you to kill the Brotherhood of Steel and the Shi.

The Shi will be lawful evil, taking the antagonistic role of the Legion/Institute. They will require you to kill the NCR forces in the region, as well as the BoS forces.

The Brotherhood of Steel will probably be lawful neutral and require you to kill the Shi and the NCR forces in San Francisco. The Brotherhood of Steel is either going to be the West Coast chapter that is still somehow alive after the NCR-BoS war or the East Coast BoS will come in blimps to 'take back California'.

Finally, the Followers of the Apocalypse will take the role of Yes Man/Minutemen. You will always be able to join them if you piss off the other factions. They will always survive and the other factions will not ask you to kill them.

I predict that the super mutants in the game will not be Mariposa super mutants because Bethesda will want super mutant behemoths. So, instead, the super mutants will be a new type of mutant produced by a new strain of FEV. Similar to how the Institute created the super mutants of Boston, the Shi will create the super mutants of San Francisco. They will be similar to the Fallout 4 super mutants. There will be no Mariposa super mutants or nightkin.

The dialogue system will be more like the one from Fallout 3, rather than the one present in Fallout 4. There will be no voiced protagonists. Skills, however, will probably not return.

You will be a vault dweller again because of course you will.

The main questline may also have something to do with the New Plague because the New Plague seems to be referenced by MacCready in Fallout 4.

Linear shooter like CoD, focused on multiplayer matches and co-op singleplayer.
No quests.
All NPCs are hostile.
No story whatsoever.

San Francisco is possible, especially if they want to show that they've gone back to the roots of the franchise. But they've never taken on a West Coast City, so why should they start now? I can see them sticking to their "customs" and choosing yet again an East Coast city. New York, if they wanna go big, even though it's a videogame trope.

There'll be a new model of power armour, the T-77x that was developed and deployed just 2 weeks before the great war began. It'll look like a slightly redesigned T-60.

But seriously imagine how much lore and many factions they would surely fuck up. Bethesda would make the NCR just like the brotherhood of steel in fallout 3.

BoS, Enclave, and supermutants will abound for no good reason. The "plot" of Fo4 will continue with the BoS expanding ever outward, because that's not boring enough yet. You'll be searching for your spouse or sibling, because they already did parent and offspring.

The specific setting won't matter, because it's not like they actually do anything interesting with the local color. There's going to be even more medieval Europe, sword and sorcery type, fantasy bullshit because there always is. The map will be sparser and larger. Edit: Oh, and the "story" will be a game of madlibs because fans and modders aren't making enough the game for them yet.

BoS knights with US flags all over the place fighting muties/enclave/commies for the 235646546754th time. Heavily emotional main story about saving someone from your family. Tons of radiant quests.

After finding your father and finding your son, I guess next time you'll have to find the Holy Ghost.
San Francisco is possible, but I don't think they dare to touch the West Coast with a full game just yet. I think they might revisit Chicago first.

You guys know how deadpools work right? What if we did that for plot points/gameplay elements of Fallout 5? Since Fallout is dead to us, it's kinda fitting. Does 10 sound like a good number? :lmao:
  1. Super Mutants actually have a 5th location they're created at.
  2. Brotherhood of Steel has somehow had influence and/or members in this area whether they're still there or not. You can find their symbol somewhere
  3. You can build stuff akin to settlements in 4 and CAMP in 76
  4. Crafting will be a big part yet still have practically optimal things you'd aim for
  5. Bolt action rifles will still be held in the right handed position but be operating as if they're intended for the left handed firing position
  6. The Main Quest involves finding someone from your Vault/Hometown/Family
  7. Radiant quests
  8. Pipe weaponry
  9. No skills.
  10. Collecting junk from random items is still a focus

It will be multiplayer with a battle royale-mode, any and all RPG-elements will be stripped off in order to "streamline" the game and it will have hundreds of microtransactions ranging from dance taunts to weapon skins.

Problem is, they'd have trouble having a story in San Francisco with their current engine, which has trouble dealing with more than 20 NPCs in the same cell. The day Bethesda can render a believable city hasn't come yet (remember Riverwood ? It's supposed to be a city state, the greatest supplier of paper for the whole empire, with its own king and its own laws. Instead we have five houses, a drunk and a sawmill.).
So, they'll have to invent something in the spirit of "the new new plague V.2 has killed everyone here, so that's why there's nobody in town."

But yes, it's probably be something in that spirit. And the Shis will be techno-samuraï wielding katanas, because kids love that stuff I guess. The Shis will have done something wrong with their AI and it will be your job to tell it to kill itself with one line of "SARCASM", again.

The only way Bethesda can convince me to take interest in Fallout 5 ? If they outsource it to Arkane Studio, let them do what they are good at and make it happen in New Orleans. Then, I'd be really curious about it. Outsourcing Fallout to another studio worked before twice, but Arkane could actually bring something new to the table. It's a shame Dishonored 2 didn't go as they planned in terms of numbers though, it undermines that scenario.

Problem is, they'd have trouble having a story in San Francisco with their current engine, which has trouble dealing with more than 20 NPCs in the same cell. The day Bethesda can render a believable city hasn't come yet (remember Riverwood ? It's supposed to be a city state, the greatest supplier of paper for the whole empire, with its own king and its own laws. Instead we have five houses, a drunk and a sawmill.).
So, they'll have to invent something in the spirit of "the new new plague V.2 has killed everyone here, so that's why there's nobody in town."

But yes, it's probably be something in that spirit. And the Shis will be techno-samuraï wielding katanas, because kids love that stuff I guess. The Shis will have done something wrong with their AI and it will be your job to tell it to kill itself with one line of "SARCASM", again.

The only way Bethesda can convince me to take interest in Fallout 5 ? If they outsource it to Arkane Studio, let them do what they are good at and make it happen in New Orleans. Then, I'd be really curious about it. Outsourcing Fallout to another studio worked before twice, but Arkane could actually bring something new to the table. It's a shame Dishonored 2 didn't go as they planned in terms of numbers though, it undermines that scenario.
pretty much a 100% guarantee that they'll use this song in the intro cinematic and the trailers if it takes place in new orleans

The dialogue system will be more like the one from Fallout 3, rather than the one present in Fallout 4. There will be no voiced protagonists. Skills, however, will probably not return.
I think those are good predictions; however, I would think the dialog would be a minor variation on FO4's dialog—and made simpler if possible. :(

Bethesada appears to follow a pattern of perverse simplification in their gameplay; presumably to better suit their perceived mass market audience.
streamlining_the_systems.png

Last edited:
@Nirv ’s gameplay predictions, and the story will be that you leave the vault because your grandmother got taken but also left because she’s a member of the Enclave and wants to purify the water of the wasteland, but she inevitably dies and you learn that your grandfather killed her because he’s the elder of the BOS or some shit.

Bethesda’s writing for Fallout seems to follow the pattern of “missing family = emotionally invested in story”

Back