Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Hi i've been playing FO1 with this mod and i'm really enjoying it, thank you for the hard work. However recently I've had a problem now I'm not sure if this is because of this mod or not but i couldn't find the anser anywhere i looked for hours for an answer but i couldnt find it. I ran out of time to retrieve the water chip so i decided to ask the water merchants for help everything was fine i got the water chip and everything but then when i got to vault 13 i was not allowed to get back in at all whether it was directly from the map or the cave they always kicked me out and the person in the transiver in the front door keeps saying "sorry, it was the overseer's decision you must go" stuff like that, and since i can't get inside vault 13 i cant deliver the chip which means time runs out which means the game is over. Is this bug present because of the patch or is it just a normal bug? I looked everywhere and apperantly this isn;t suppoused to happen so i dont know :| on a side note does this patch take out the time limit from the last two missions in the game? you know destroying the mutant base and all?[/img]

VaultSnake said:
And a question: How much of the cut content Dude101 linked to will eventually be added? *fingerscrossedforall*

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_cut_characters

Anyways, thanks again!

A lot of this stuff would be hard to put in game, as we don't have much info. These three are the best candidates for inclusion *hint* :P

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Lance
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Lone_raider

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Sean (I think TeamX put him back in already).

Any news on Alpha 5? I just downloaded FO1 on GOG and want to get stuck in.

Sduibek,

First of all, congrats on what you have managed so far and best of luck in going forward.

Actually, I have been following NMA for years now, but the discussion of your "mod" is what prompted me to finally register.

So without further ado, here go my two cents:

1. As many have pointed out, it's important to separate bug fixes, restoration and modifications or add-ons, especially when they alter game mechanics. We all want bugs fixes and most of us want the content that was omitted from the game to be restored (and I'd add as long as it makes sense and doesn't unbalance the game mechanics), but mods and add-ons are very tricky.

My honest recommendation would be not to do it unless it's done properly. For example, Fallout 2 New Vision was a proper modding attempt (in fact, IMHO NV is much better than the vanilla - I wish there was a way of merging NV with the F2RP...), because it introduced changes in game mechanics and in content that went hand in hand to create a new experience. This is, I think, the test that a mod has to pass: it has to create a new gaming experience and this experience has to be enjoyable too.

By contrast, I'm sorry to say that, say, adding a merchant and an elder to Shady Sands (who gives you a hunting rifle and armor because you say you are going to kill the rad scorpions) is a bad move... it's sort of like Greedo shooting first :) I mean, what's the point of these characters? They don't add anything to the gaming experience; they are not interesting to talk to, they don't pose any skill challenge, not to mention that using them feels sort of like cheating... I apologize for being this blunt and bringing up Greedo, but it's solely intented to make a point :)

2. Regarding your proposed "survival" mod:

IMHO, the total lack of the "survival" gaming dimension is the main shortcoming of the whole Fallout franchise (including the bastard attempts of F3 and F: NV). Fallout mechanics have always focused on the dimension of conflict resolution in a post-nuclear society (which in F3 and F:NV is reduced to killing stuff in slo-mo), and the survival aspect has been completely ignored (at least until F: NV, and it's hardcore mode, which is a joke; the "survival" skill seems to have been based on the first-hand experience of a bachelor who recently moved out of his parents house - serioulsy, what was all that stuff with cooking recipes?!). This shortcoming is especially unfortunate because most of the conflicts in a post-nuclear society ought to be precisely related to survival...

Having said that, I think that it would be impossible to mod Fallout to properly include the survival mechanics. Stuff like making the PC carry a canteen is simply annoyining, same as say making constant skill/stat checks to see if something happens to the PC while travelling. To properly reflect the survival aspect and make it fun, some all-reaching and serious mechanics would have to be included, which the game simply can't handle. For example, think of the following:

(a) Travelling should require carrying supplies; and I don't mean make the PC carry a dozen iguana bits and make sure he or she has to "use" one every day - it's not fun and it's not realistic. What this mechanic has to reflect is that the PC has to carry supplies worth x nutricious value (taking into account the PC's relevant stats and skills), such supplies having a weight of w (that reduce his speed by y) and a cost of c (which is, for example, proportional to x and/or inversly proportional to w). Basically, that travelling further and/or faster is more expensive and/or requires better stats. I'm not saying that this "the" mechanic that should be used; what I'm saying is that some sort of mechanic in this regard would have to exist.

(b) During the travels, the PC has to sleep at some point, at which time he or she should be vulnerable to attack. Some decisions have to be made as to where to set camp, whether to invest time in setting up defences... or whether to crawl under a rock and hope that nothing happens.

(c) There are decisions to be made regarding whether to travel at night or at day (e.g. it's hotter at day and you are more likely to be spotted by humans, but your avoid the nocturnal predators), following known trade routes or not (e.g. the trade routes are faster and you are more likely to find other travellers, but do you want to find them?), travelling by yourself or with others (e.g. unless you are a ranger, travelling by yourself through the wasteland shoud be suicidal), etc.

So, in other words, travelling between settlements should be a dangerous and costly enterprise requiring a bit of planning and foresight and to properly implement this survival experience requires a set of over-reaching gaming mechanics; otherwise it will only be annoying.

I don't think that any of the Fallout games can allow for the implementation of the necessary mechanics; at best you can introduce some annoying requirements that might initially seem like adding to the atmosphere if approached with sufficient enthusiasm, but that will soon derive into a boring routine. I'm thinking of F: NV and drinking out of an irradiated toilet, trying with all my might to conjure up a feeling of desperation, despite being fully aware that I would have to drink from another 100 irradiated toilets before my character would suffer a -1 to some stat or other...

Ghoul Manage

Whats the status on fixing the Ghoul Manager's dialogue options all being changed to error? Its the only problem I have faced so far, after 4 hours of play.

Freeze after talking to gizmo while trying to get proof of the asssasination.

Conv ends, fadeout, the small "dialog" with Izo starts, after ending that, black screen caused by a application error

Playing in wine (btw, playing in wine with the PS:T unofficial patch already uncovered a error in that patch assembly hacking).

4.1 with patch

This is dissapointing, i guess the best way to play fallout is still the dos version in dosbox, that never crashed for me. Pity about the new inventory functions though.

edit: i managed to pass this if i pressed 1 very fast after the first conv with gizmo and before Izo, and had no weapon equiped. Even so i sometimes ended up in "stealth". Probably because i was using the keyboard numbers to navigate the conversation.

It seems stealth ended up used after conversations/(or i had a weapon out and the guards commented) and the floating text system doesn't like to start just after a dialog end? Then it crashes.
The culprits should be the guards on the door where Izo dumps you after you agree to assassinate the merchant.

It doesn't happen if i only use the mouse and have no weapon in the active slot -> guards don't comment.

this sucks.

I had the same problem as above, I don't remember how I managed to workaround it, though.
I think planting the other mic is enough for the quest and doesn't freeze up the game.

I downloaded this the other day and really love it so far as it's been working great, but just ran into my first problem--When I try to start the game now, it just stays on the very first "loading" screen. I can hear the interplay logo audio and then the intro video start to play, I can skip past them, but the video just stays stuck on that first loading screen so I can't even start the game.

I have the latest patch and everything installed, I haven't messed around with the ddraw.ini or f1_res.ini, I only adjusted the settings in game. Do I need to mess around with those files instead?

SCO said:
Is it possible to increase the pathfinding limit?

It's pretty annoying
Yes, there is an option, I don't remember if it is on the ddraw.ini or in f1_res.ini. It's more likely in ddraw.ini, though.

I meant "by default, during installation" since f1_res.ini is provided by the patch itself.

Well, I'm not completely sure, but I think Fallout FIXT already comes with those patches, so may be good to discuss if the default value should be the one from the vanilla game (2000 nodes, IIRC) or bigger. The value is set on that file anyway. ddraw.ini, I think.

SCO said:
No it's f1_res.ini, by default, the same as the original (minuscule).
I know that's the patch's default, and as I said, I wasn't sure which of the .inis was.
But IIRC, FIXT includes the patch, so FIXT can put its own default value.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (i'm not too familiar with this stuff), but the mod doesn't seem to be working (I got the default message for examining myself and can't tell Ian to move) and I'm not sure why. I used the installer and saved it in my fallout folder. Has anyone asked this before, and, if so, what was the problem?

Actually, another suggestion for a new "by default" value would be to disable movie streching in the same file.

The fallout movies upsampled from 640x480 to 800x640 (default res in FIXIT IIRC) look like ass, while without it they still look good, centered on the screen.
DirectX mode on the other hand is a no-no, while it corrupts the movies.

A pity that the other interface enhancements are tied to directx mode too.

I can't respond to each post individually from the last couple weeks right now (i'll get them soon) but just a quick rundown:

-- First, thanks for all the feedback and kind words :) Sometimes I'm more excited to read bug reports than praise. Maybe I'm just a masochist, ha. I do really appreciate all posts and I apologize if I've missed any of them along the way.

-- I do not currently know ASM [Assembly language] but I am 100% committed to learning it "at some point". if they had an ASM class at school I'd take it, but we don't, so I'll probably just get an ebook and watch any YouTube videos that exist for it. I know MIT has free course materials, maybe they have ASM courses amongst those...

-- I'll be adding / fixing / changing as much as I can, which does include cut content both documented and undocumented, and some of my own stuff. I've toyed with the idea of including the Revisited mod (armor doesn't increase AC, everything has more hit points, weapon damage changed etc) as an optional part of the install, as well as some other stuff that will also be optional.

-- As the comment about ASM above, I do plan on fixing engine things like with sfall and the Fallout 2 engine itself, provided it's something feasible and that wouldn't take insane amounts of coding to do. That is all dependant on me learning ASM though. I knew C/C++ back in the day, so re-learning C isn't a problem but I'll need to learn ASM from the ground up.

Back