Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Re: Fixt

thebombsauce said:
If you could just release a quick patch especially for the necropolis problems then that would be great, but I understand if you lack the time.
I'll do my best. Believe me I'd much rather be working on this than schoolwork. School fucking sucks this quarter, I hate all my classes.

Okay so I know the Manager's dialog is broken, and still some issues getting the reward from Set, are there others in Necropolis?

Ghoul Manager is fixed now in my files, and the proper versions of f1_res and ddraw included, I'll be working on the crashes next although of course those are more difficult to fix.

I've practiced installing in different manners, but I end with this same problem: when I load up Fallout (4.0 & 4.1 installed) it pulls up a random load screen an that's all I get to see, although the game's goin just fine in the background (the volume works so I know it reacts when I click). This happens whether I load from falloutw.exe or 64-bit OS.bat, and even when I adjust the resolution in f1_res.ini . . . what'm I doin wrong (ain't good with this jazz).

Sorry to bug y'all.

EDIT: Disabled F1_res altogether and altered resolution with only ddraw . . . minor, fixable issues now. Hakuna Matata.

person said:
I've practiced installing in different manners, but I end with this same problem: when I load up Fallout (4.0 & 4.1 installed) it pulls up a random load screen an that's all I get to see, although the game's goin just fine in the background (the volume works so I know it reacts when I click). This happens whether I load from falloutw.exe or 64-bit OS.bat, and even when I adjust the resolution in f1_res.ini . . . what'm I doin wrong (ain't good with this jazz).

Sorry to bug y'all.

EDIT: Disabled F1_res altogether and altered resolution with only ddraw . . . minor, fixable issues now. Hakuna Matata.

See what happens if you take the ddraw.dll file from the original source and overwrite the one from Alpha4.

Fallout 1: ddraw.dll 90112 11/28/2008 4:15:46PM
Alpha 4: ddraw.dll 114688 08/14/2007 10:44:26AM

@Sduibek:

in file PERK.MSG you changed name and descriptin of perk:

{164}{}{Alcoholic}# was Combat Armor

but armors:
PID=17 Combat Armor
PID=239 Brotherhood Armor
PID=240 Tesla Armor

have perk Combat Armor; in your mod changed to Alcoholic...

How this perk work with armors, and how it affect player?
I'm a little confused.

ak0000 said:
person said:

Sorry to bug y'all.

See what happens if you take the ddraw.dll file from the original source and overwrite the one from Alpha4.

Fallout 1: ddraw.dll 90112 11/28/2008 4:15:46PM
Alpha 4: ddraw.dll 114688 08/14/2007 10:44:26AM

^ What he said. Pretty much all the graphics issues should be gone in Alpha 5, because that will include the proper and newest versions of ddraw and f1res. The only remaining issue is the 640x480 black box some people get in larger resolutions, which is something mash is working to fix currently.

Cubik2k said:
@Sduibek:

in file PERK.MSG you changed name and descriptin of perk:

{164}{}{Alcoholic}# was Combat Armor

but armors:
PID=17 Combat Armor
PID=239 Brotherhood Armor
PID=240 Tesla Armor

have perk Combat Armor; in your mod changed to Alcoholic...

How this perk work with armors, and how it affect player?
I'm a little confused.
My understanding is that is what gives the increase in radiation resistance / increased strength / etc from those armors. The end user never sees them which is why using them for the addiction message shouldn't be a problem. It only looks weird internally to modders, not the players ;)

Anyway I forgot why I had to, but I had to do this to have Alcohol Addiction work properly and not crash the game. I actually spent quite a few hours with all the changes to addictions and re-introduction of Alcoholism. I really liked that aspect of the game and wanted to make it better :)

From what I read and seen from the installer options this looks pretty cool but when I got to the first town and Ian wasnt there I decided to google it and found this is a common problem, is there any fix for it?

ThegreatBenDoyle said:
From what I read and seen from the installer options this looks pretty cool but when I got to the first town and Ian wasnt there I decided to google it and found this is a common problem, is there any fix for it?
This should be fixed if you installed the patch...

Please try again, download the Alpha 4 patch 1 from the main thread and extract all files on top of current install, Yes or Overwrite to All when asked

EDIT: I had posted as a patch instead of recompiling the .exe because it was faster at the time and less of a hassle for me... looking back I need to never do that again because having everything in multiple downloads is way less efficient down the line, causing confusion etc. Lesson learned :)

.Pixote. said:
Oppen said:
About the critters going out of the map grid, I think that's an engine bug, I believe there is no practical solution to that. It even happens in Fallout 2. But I'd love to be proven wrong, I hate that two Khans that escaped me :p

They can be blocked with invisible blockers, it would take a while to do, but it would prevent critters leaving the maps. Just use the official mapper, and Cubik's tool to change the hex numbers so they work with F1.
This is indeed an issue with Fallout that's always existed.

Interesting idea though .Pixote., I hadn't thought of that. Can you think of any stuff that would break? e.g. some quests have monsters walking off the map or starting off the map then teleporting in.

Oppen said:
Sduibek (or anyone who knows about it), is it required to patch the exe again to update the hi-res patch? I don't repatch it because it's said (IIRC, in the modding wiki) the patch is only to make it load f1_res.dll, so I thought it's version independent? Am I right, or I should patch it again?
killap said:
@Oppen

Fairly certain there is no need to patch the exe once you've already done it. I never do and all seems well.
Actually I recently discovered this CAN resolve issues. I was getting a weird crash and I did this (uninstall gfx patch on exe, then re-install it) and issue fixed. So some people will probably need to do this once they install Alpha 5 when it's released.

Sduibek said:
Interesting idea though .Pixote., I hadn't thought of that. Can you think of any stuff that would break? e.g. some quests have monsters walking off the map or starting off the map then teleporting in.

I don't know Fallout 1 as well as Fallout 2, but I do know that the Brotherhood will attack the Cathedral, and Military Base at some stage, and probably need space to walk onto the map. You can still block around these critters, just don't block them from entering the map.

.Pixote. said:
Sduibek said:

I don't know Fallout 1 as well as Fallout 2, but I do know that the Brotherhood will attack the Cathedral, and Military Base at some stage, and probably need space to walk onto the map. You can still block around these critters, just don't block them from entering the map.
Hmm. Well if I'm going to do the blocking, assuming it works, I will start only with random encounters -- personally while playing the game all these years, the only time this "feature" (;)) pissed me off was in random encounter maps - namely Desert and Mountain.

You won't be able to loot the corpse anyway, but I suppose that can easily be explained as penalty for not finishing your murder before they reached The Exit Zone (sounds like a badass sci-fi show).

It will block all critters from leaving a map, but you can place them on the very edge of the visible map. If a critter happens to wonder far enough they will meet the very end of the map area, and possibly crash the game. It happened before with the RP, and we had to block in every map as a precaution, but places like the Den had small pockets behind the visible map edge where the freed slaves could run to.

.Pixote. said:
It will block all critters from leaving a map, but you can place them on the very edge of the visible map. If a critter happens to wonder far enough they will meet the very end of the map area, and possibly crash the game. It happened before with the RP, and we had to block in every map as a precaution, but places like the Den had small pockets behind the visible map edge where the freed slaves could run to.
Never had this happen in Fo1, but yes, Oppen it won't be a problem for players :)

And personally I've ONLY seen this be an issue on Random Encounter maps like I said, so if/when I do it, I will only do it with those.

I just grabbed the "Fallout Trilogy - 3 Pack Compilation" DVD so that I can include any files on there that aren't in my versions.

Hello. First let me say great work! I was very happy when I found your mod; vanilla Fallout doesn't work very well on this machine. I'm having an issue though. Drawing issues suddenly show up after a short period of play. Everything will be running fine and then I go into my inventory and the hp current/max is a mess, or body parts no longer show up when I target critters, or other weird display issues.
Any ideas what could cause this? I'm wondering if I installed correctly, as I was somewhat confused by the process.
I'm playing GOG version of Fallout on a WinXP SP3 system.

theobjectlesson said:
Hello. First let me say great work! I was very happy when I found your mod; vanilla Fallout doesn't work very well on this machine. I'm having an issue though. Drawing issues suddenly show up after a short period of play. Everything will be running fine and then I go into my inventory and the hp current/max is a mess, or body parts no longer show up when I target critters, or other weird display issues.
Any ideas what could cause this? I'm wondering if I installed correctly, as I was somewhat confused by the process.
I'm playing GOG version of Fallout on a WinXP SP3 system.
Oh wow I've never heard of this before. Well first thing I'd do is back up the entire Fallout folder and FIXT folder (if separate, just it if they're the same obviously) then reinstall FIXT making sure to install alpha4 then extract the alpha4 patch1, then delete/rename/move ONE AT A TIME f1_res.ini and ddraw.ini and see if that helps.

Okay I think I did it right in the first place but I reinstalled everything just to be on the safe side. I haven't seen any weird drawing errors since I switched from 32 to 16 bit color in falloutres. However I'm still getting that weird glitch I mentioned where I can't see the names of the body parts when in aimed mode, but I noticed it's only for certain critters. Specifically, the smaller sized scorpion. There could be others I don't know about though, I haven't tested it much.

theobjectlesson said:
Okay I think I did it right in the first place but I reinstalled everything just to be on the safe side. I haven't seen any weird drawing errors since I switched from 32 to 16 bit color in falloutres. However I'm still getting that weird glitch I mentioned where I can't see the names of the body parts when in aimed mode, but I noticed it's only for certain critters. Specifically, the smaller sized scorpion. There could be others I don't know about though, I haven't tested it much.
It's a known issue for the baby scorpion... I pulled them from Fallout 2 before realizing it used a different Called Shot UI layout :(

A known issue? Well, that's kind of a relief for me. Lately technology has been against me...
Sorry I bugged you about a known issue, I tried to read all the posts about FIXT but there are just so many! Once again, great work!

Back