Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. SpookyNooky

SpookyNooky First time out of the vault

Aug 28, 2013
    Disabling F1Res helped. Thank you.

But since this bug was reproducable and I was able to trigger it easily, I installed F1Res again and fiddled around with the F1Res properties. Change 1 thing -> load savegame -> crash -> change the 1st thing back and change another thing -> repeat.
    With this I narrowed it down to ONE thing: In F1Res screen preferences changing the 32 bit to 16 bit prevented the savegame to crash when I clicked on the world map. :clap:

This evening I am going to play a little bit and see if the crash comes back again.

Thank you for your help. This is (to say this again) the most ambitious mod for the original Fallout.

EDIT: Nah, this was not it. I don't know, but now I get the crashes again on the world map.

2. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Sorry for the brief responses earlier, was using Swype on my phone.

VERY interesting that 32-bit was crashing it. Weird. Could you do me a favor please and gather all your system information? I'll forward it to Mash so he can see why your system is crashing on 32-bit mode.

On any Windows system to go System Information (on WinXP, "sysinfo32.exe", on Windows Vista/7, just type "System Information") and do File -> Export. Also do the same with DirectX: dxdiag.exe -> Save All Information. You can email me via the link here, by my signature.

Also do you have any non-standard setup, such as dual monitors, a graphics card with switching mode, etc. Have you installed the newest DirectX?

To clarify, you are still getting the crashes even with f1_res totally turned off?

That's the intent :D Thank you!

3. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Today working on:
    implemented childkiller options
    restoring random encounters for those who chose Fixes Only
    finishing up some NPC stuff (such as option to not level up, putting their graphics in the installer, etc)

4. SpookyNooky

Aug 28, 2013
    Ah, okay, no prob. ^^

Sure, I'll do that. How can I send you the two files? Post in on that wiki? I didn't find you e-mail adress in your signature, sorry.

I have nothing like that and I have the newest DirectX (DirectX11).

No. F1Res switching off and I get no crashes, at least at this specific moment on the world map. But it seems that all pixels have then kind of random color information. The game looks like I inhaled four doses of Jet. So I turned it on again and played around with the setting.
    The weird part: Turning color depth to 16 bit and I got no crash. When I played Fallout again in the evening it crashed again (with 16 bit). I played around a little bit with the resolutions (turning on 2X mode) and the game did not crash. Then I put it back like I had it before, and the game did not crash either.
    That really puzzles me. It seems like this crash is "semi-reproducable". :crazy:
    But since turning off F1Res completely and messing around with the settings solves it from time to time, I think the problem is somehow related to the F1Res mod (in combination with something else?).

5. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    For email you can send the logs to falloutfixt@gmail.com -- it's the "Email" button at the bottom of my posts. There's always a Profile and PM button, if people enter their email address there'll be a "Email" button as well.

Hmm... so is the only thing you know for 100% sure, is that the crashes stop when f1_res is turned off?

EDIT: Here try this exe version http://www.mediafire.com/?uarbyd3m329pwur - it combined with f1_res is I think what is causing issue, I think with this version of exe the crashes should stop...

6. SpookyNooky

Aug 28, 2013
    Thanks, I sent you an email.

Yeah, turning off F1Res prevented Fallout crashing on the world map. Playing around with the settings only from time to time. :\

Thank you, I'll try this .exe.
    What has the chance of random encounters to do with the F1Res mod? And why does it cause crashes? Sorry that I ask, but I am interested in that.

7. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Okay I've got about a dozen "Fixes Only" things that need to be addressed/finished, after that it's just linking up the rest of the installer options and making a updated changelog.

8. SpookyNooky

Aug 28, 2013
    I hope posting in here is okay.

I am looking forward to this. Will it be possible to install FIXT alpha 6 over FIXT alpha 5.3 without any problems? Will savegames of these two FIXT version be compatible?

9. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Yep!
    Possible but not advised and I'm not going to test. The reason is of massive changes between the versions, including dozens of global variables changes, local variable allocation for all scripts, and many scripts changed. You could play a character from alpha5.3, probably, but things might go really crazy and/or cause crashes.

For players that wish to continue using an old save, they'll get a one-time dialog prompt warning them of the potential issues.

10. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    I'm not sure entirely how they interact. I sent the random encounter chance modifier program to Mash, maybe he can implement it somehow in f1_res.

From my limited understanding of it, I think they are both reading or changing the same worldmap code at the same time, so it fails and crashes. That's why it's only sometimes though, because whatever code is involved is only called by both mods at the same time in specific cases.

11. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Finished revised code for optional radiation-on-hit:

Code:
    	if (fixed_param == 2) then begin
    		if (target_obj == dude_obj) then begin
    			if not(global_var(0)) then begin
    				if global_var(21) or global_var(34) then begin
    					variable Glowing := 0;
    					if global_var(21) and ((obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 16)) or (obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 182)) or (obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 183)) or (obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 160)) or (obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 161))) then begin// 16, 182, 183 = Glowing One  //  160, 161 = Rad Rat
    						Glowing := 1;
    					end
    					if global_var(34) and ((obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 43)) or (obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 45)) or (obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 167)) or (obj_pid(self_obj) == (16777216 + 168))) then begin//  43, 168 = Centaur  //  45, 167 = Floater
    						Glowing := 1;
    					end
    					if ((random(0, 3) + combat_difficulty + Glowing) >= 3) then begin// CHANCE TO RUN = Easy: 25%, 50% if glowing - Normal: 50%, 75% if glowing - Brutal: 75%, 100% if glowing
    						variable itemRightHand := 0;
    						variable RightHand_PID := 0;
    						itemRightHand := critter_inven_obj(self_obj, 1);
    						RightHand_PID := obj_pid(itemRightHand);
    						if ((RightHand_PID == 21) or (RightHand_PID == 234) or (RightHand_PID == -1)) then begin// Brass knuckles, Spiked knuckles, empty fists
    							variable LuckRoll := 0;
    							variable EnduranceRoll := 0;
    							LuckRoll := do_check(dude_obj, 6, 0);
    							EnduranceRoll := do_check(dude_obj, 2, 0);
    							rndRads := 0;
    							if not(is_success(LuckRoll)) and not(is_success(EnduranceRoll)) then begin
    								rndRads := random((2 + combat_difficulty + Glowing), (3 + combat_difficulty + Glowing));// EASY: 2-3 / 3-4 if glowing, NORMAL: 3-4 / 4-5 if glowing, BRUTAL: 4-5 / 5-6 if glowing
    							end
    							else begin
    								if (not(is_success(LuckRoll)) or not(is_success(EnduranceRoll))) then begin
    									rndRads := random((1 + combat_difficulty + Glowing), (2 + combat_difficulty + Glowing));// EASY: 1-2 / 2-3 if glowing, NORMAL: 2-3 / 3-4 if glowing, BRUTAL: 3-4 / 4-5 if glowing
    								end
    								else begin
    									if ((random(0, 2) + Glowing) > 1) then begin// Chance to run if both stat checks pass: 33%, 66% if glowing
    										rndRads := random((0 + combat_difficulty + Glowing), (1 + combat_difficulty + Glowing));// EASY: 0-1 / 1-2 if glowing, NORMAL: 1-2 / 2-3 if glowing, BRUTAL: 2-3 / 3-4 if glowing
    									end
    								end
    							end
    							if (rndRads > 0) then begin
    								call combat_rads_inc;
    							end
    						end
    					end
    				end
    				Glowing := 0;
    			end
    		end
    	end

12. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    Just two comments. First, I thought this scripts were a lot like C, but now that I read a bit about Pascal (and their common ancestors, whose names I already forgot), I realize it looks a lot like Pascal. The other comment, regarding code, with Pascal-style blocks I think tab indenting would make the code FAR easier to read.
    Of course, except in the case you have an autoindenter that works with this, I wouldn't expect you to change it, it's just my opinion.

13. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Good eye, it's mostly Pascal with some c preprocessor thrown in. Not sure how they came about that combination of languages :shrug:

And it actually is tab indented, but websites always ignore tabs or turn them into spaces. Pretty annoying if you ask me, to have a code tag and still ruin spacing :roll:

Notepad view of that code:

Notepad++ view of that code:

I've also been steadily increasing my save-time-with-links tool. It's becoming quite a screen hog :lol:

14. SpookyNooky

Aug 28, 2013
    Okay, then I'm going to play my current game to the end, then I start over a new one with the new FIXT.
    Is it possible to install the new FIXT version just over the old one or do I have to reinstall Fallout just to be on the safe side?

And:
    Will there be a changelog?

15. Elitech

Elitech Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 22, 2008
    I believe so ;)

16. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Yes, what Elitech says. I'm actually really not looking forward to making a new updated changelog. With such a large project, having a cumulative changelog is kind of a pain.

You can install on top of previous FIXT installation. Finishing the game on your current version is a good idea I think. I tend to not like starting characters over if I'm in the middle of a game.

17. Naoki

Naoki First time out of the vault

Aug 30, 2013
    Hello,

Is Alpha 6 delayed? You removed the "at the end of August" from your signature.

18. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    hi! Welcome to the forums.

It might be delayed, yes. I don't have to go back to school for almost a month, but some unexpected things happened so now I don't have enough money for rent. So I have to spend time working to pay the bills that I was planning on spending working on the mod. I don't even know how I'm going to do it, so it's very stressful :( This all just happened yesterday.

People who say money doesn't buy happiness are lying.

Anyway on the plus side, I'm really close. I have roughly a dozen things left to finish implementing, then putting them in the installer which is easy, then make a changelog and then I'm done :)

19. Naoki

Naoki First time out of the vault

Aug 30, 2013
    Sorry, Hope things work out for you.

And thank you for the mod, It really spiced up my playthrough of the game.

20. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks, on both counts.

The mod will definitely spice up your next playthrough, if you do another one :) Lots and lots of cool new stuff in the next version :)