Fallout: New Vegas OXM preview scans

Dionysus said:
I don't know. It's a little silly to think that articles in OXM should be written for you, or anyone on this board really.

Tic-toc-to-miss-the-point. If they were writing for me, they wouldn't have to mention Fallout 1, 2, Van Buren. I already know that. It's exactly because they're not writing for me, but for people ignorant of this history, that they should make an effort to educate them.

verevoof said:
Wait... there were Fallout games before Fallout 3?

Apparently. Confusing.

Clearly, you have a responsibility to push the series forward, but there's also nothing worse than a misguided attempt to differentiate a folow-up that only ruins what everyone loved about the original. Throw in a new developer - New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian rather than Bethesda's in-house team - and there is no doubt that a fair few Fallout fans will be more than a little concerned that this could be a recipe for nuclear disaster.

I laughed like a little baby reading this, It's one of the most hilarious things I've ever read on a gaming mag :lol: :lol: :clap:

Ravager69 said:
Yeah, well didn't the Chosen One clear out the Mariposa Base after the Enclave left the muties inside? He'd have to enter it at least, else the muties trapped in the base would die of hunger (the elevator was not working, they had no food)? It's a pretty isolated base, so I doubt many people would wander there and stay long enough to mutate into full-fledged super mutants.

Oh well, we'll see.

The Chosen One could but didn't have to. And the mutants could have found their own way out.

Some things it seems nobody else has picked up on:

-Age slider is back, you're no longer forced to be a 19 year old
-Reputations appear to exist for even the smaller towns such as Goodsprings, not just for the factions.

Of course I take all the details in this article with a grain of salt considering the large amount of stuff in it that are obviously untrue on account of lack of journalistic/writing talent.

Does anyone else get the feeling that everyone with this "exclusive" scoop were all in one big room together as Obsidian ran a presentation?

Ravager69 said:
...else the muties trapped in the base would die of hunger (the elevator was not working, they had no food)?
Just to continue Ausir's nitpicking: one of the muties on the entrance level of the base is hunting rats, IIRC. You may enter the base in Fallout 2 and wait a while, read his floaters... I wouldn't say the food was an issue.

Ausir said:
The generation distinction is not their own, it's something they heard during Sawyer's presentation but did not know what it meant.
In that case, you are probably right about the second generation being Enclave slaves/illusionists. They were all pretty aggressive if I remember correctly.

TwinkieGorilla said:
* Relevant because it's an important topic in regards to the current game.

* True because Sawyer & Avellone are developing it and including many things from VB.

How could you possibly think your statement quoted above is correct?
It’s not true because it will be using FO3’s engine, art, and gameplay, while they will only borrow some story elements from VB. I don’t think you can reasonably argue that this game will be more similar to VB than FO3.

It’s not relevant because it doesn’t matter how similar it is to an aborted PC exclusive. When communicating to the OXM audience, there’s no reason to talk about PC exclusives that (literally) no one ever played.

Myron Rolle said:
It's exactly because they're not writing for me, but for people ignorant of this history, that they should make an effort to educate them.
This ain't history class, college boy! They need to know about the new greatest games ever, not about the ancient past!

I think it is relevant cause people should know that the roots of Fallout are not coming from Bethesda.

Dionysus said:
It’s not true because it will be using FO3’s engine, art, and gameplay, while they will only borrow some story elements from VB. I don’t think you can reasonably argue that this game will be more similar to VB than FO3.

I knew this would be your argument. Look, man...I know you're a bright guy but you're acting incredibly daft right now. Engine, Gameplay and Art are merely that...a setting. The game itself is being developed by the people who created VB. The developers, the concept artists, the setting, the story, the dialogue, the reputation system...everything BUT the superficial wrapping paper of this game has more to do with VB than FO3. If not...I guarantee nobody at this site would give the slightest flying fuck.

What you are saying is that two books...written by different people on the same typewriter, are inherently connected because of the typewriter. That is silly. Come on, put the wine down.

It’s not relevant because it doesn’t matter how similar it is to an aborted PC exclusive. When communicating to the OXM audience, there’s no reason to talk about PC exclusives that (literally) no one ever played.

There's no reason to inform people about history? So...we should take everything given to us at face value without the ability to garner appreciation by studying the origins of a specific thing? How utterly fucking sad that attitude is even if we're only talking about games.

I knew this would be your argument. Look, man...I know you're a bright guy but you're acting incredibly daft right now. Engine, Gameplay and Art are merely that...a setting. The game itself is being developed by the people who created VB. The developers, the concept artists, the setting, the story, the dialogue, the reputation system...everything BUT the superficial wrapping paper of this game has more to do with VB than FO3. If not...I guarantee nobody at this site would give the slightest flying fuck.

What you are saying is that two books...written by different people on the same typewriter, are inherently connected because of the typewriter. That is silly. Come on, put the wine down.

Well, you're going a bit far there. The gameplay being based on Fallout 3 still does matter.

If weapon enhancements are really compatible one another and have no negative effects, this would be bad. This removes the tactics from designing your weapon. I wanted to keep several copies of the same weapon. Now, I'll have just have one.

However, I love the unique special move thing.

Ausir said:
Well, you're going a bit far there. The gameplay being based on Fallout 3 still does matter.

ORLY? then come up with a list of things which make this game more relevant to one or the other. i challenge you to make a serious case that the obvious ties to FO3 make this game more relevant to that game.

i never said it didn't matter. i said VB and it's development team is more relevant to this game than anything but the most superficial elements of FO3.

Dionysus said:
]It’s not true because it will be using FO3’s engine, art, and gameplay, while they will only borrow some story elements from VB. I don’t think you can reasonably argue that this game will be more similar to VB than FO3.

It's basic journalism. They go out of their way to point out that Obsidian is a new developer, but developed Fallout 1 and 2 - but they then never mention that much of the content in New Vegas originates with the writers' work on Van Buren.

It's an interesting bit of information that is relevant for those people who followed the original Van Buren development (ie old Fallout fans, and those also exist among the OXM demographic) and is a neat information tidbit for those who didn't follow the development.

TwinkieGorilla said:
Ausir said:

ORLY? then come up with a list of things which make this game more relevant to one or the other. i challenge you to make a serious case that the obvious ties to FO3 make this game more relevant to that game.

i never said it didn't matter. i said VB and it's development team is more relevant to this game than anything but the most superficial elements of FO3.

The gameplay style being like FO3's is not superficial. In terms of story, dialogue, quests, factions etc. the game will likely be more like FO1/2/VB than like FO3, but not in terms of gameplay style, which is a pretty important part of a game. Overall, it's likely halfway between FO1/2 and FO3.

TwinkieGorilla said:

Yeah, I think that's insane. I've never seen anyone suggest that gameplay is the "superficial wrapping paper" for a videogame without meaning it as an insult to the game. That's the sort of thing you say when you want to dis Goichi Suda. And it's not as if the story will be directly lifted from VB, either.

The combat, exploration, scope, skill/leveling system, graphics, controls, etc... will all be more similar to FO3 than VB.

TwinkieGorilla said:
There's no reason to inform people about history?
In this case, there's definitely no reason. It would be reasonable if they used FO1&2 history to explain the SM distinction. They should have done that. But there's really no reason to talk about VB unless they specifically wanted to give a detailed history lesson for its own sake.

OXM almost seem worried that Obsidian had 'taken over' the new development of the Fallout franchise.

What did they think Obsidian were going to do? Ruin the game? Make it shallow, childish, unfunny and dumb? Bethesda's already been there, done that.

What did they think Obsidian were going to do? Ruin the game? Make it shallow, childish, unfunny and dumb?

Make it turn-based and 2D, of course. Also it's clear they didn't know that people at Obsidian worked on the originals before Pete Hines told them.

Dionysus said:
Yeah, I think that's insane. I've never seen anyone suggest that gameplay is the "superficial wrapping paper" for a videogame without meaning it as an insult to the game.

Funny, since I was thinking the converse would be an insult to Obsidian's team (not that I give a fuck about anybody's feelings here, since the game is either going to be closer to 1,2, & VB in spirit which to me trumps gameplay or it isn't...and if the latter is true nobody but the Bethietards win). See, if the only thing I cared about was "gameplay" i'd likely never have enjoyed a single video-game in my entire life. There's nothing inherently pleasant about anything strictly related to "gameplay" which holds my interest longer than watching a fat kid fall down and cry. Fun for a second or two, but come on...life is too short.

If I knew somebody out there who thought they could fully enjoy or understand Ulysses merely because of the stylistic prose Joyce invented without any knowledge of the history of Ireland I'd laugh and say "good luck with that".

Back