Fallout: New Vegas PSM3 scans

Mistrz said:
TwinkieGorilla said:
Mistrz said:
it probably won`t as good as FT either

now that's just dumb.
Care to explain why? FT was IMO a v.good game.
You're pretty much alone in that opinion. It broke Fallout canon and setting so many times you'd think they never played the first 2 games.

Sander said:
Mistrz said:
TwinkieGorilla said:
Mistrz said:
it probably won`t as good as FT either

now that's just dumb.
Care to explain why? FT was IMO a v.good game.
You're pretty much alone in that opinion. It broke Fallout canon and setting so many times you'd think they never played the first 2 games.

Well at least they apologised for futzing the canon.
And apart from that it was a pretty good tactical strategy game.

The way I see it, F:T was a great tactical action game, but a poor excuse for a Fallout game.

I think most people around here would probably agree.

What's so good about it?

It was eaten by Laser Squad/X-Com/JA2 on breakfast.
According to their own words they didn't even aim to be as good as the old X-Com (which is pretty bizarre as X-Com had very simple mechanics) and wanted to compensate for it with Fallout features like speech skill and dialogues, which ended up not being implemented.

You can't even get through a fucking fence or pick lock on a door get to the objective faster.
Not to mention the lack of wall damage - a thing that was standard since the times of Laser Squad (1988).

In Laser Squad, when there was a mission to assasinate an enemy leader, it could be done with different weapons/armour from different directions.
Ranging from assaulting his HQ from all sides to simply taking two rocket launchers and "digging" to him through the walls.

The same with X-Com. But in X-Com there were additionally smoke grenades.

On the other hand, getting to an enemy leader (that is behind a single fence with a single locked door) in FoT includes fighting through a linear "maze" with a squad of three people with pre-set weapons.

The combat system (the turn-based mode, at least) was still a good refinement of the Fallout combat mechanics, even if the missions themselves mostly sucked (although the demo misisons and early missions in the game were actually pretty cool).

I liked Tactics; don't see why people hate it so much.

Sure, it broke the Fallout canon quite a bit, and the setting wasn't that great either. It's a pretty decent strategy game in my opinion.

Besides, why care about Tactics' canon, pretty sure it was (or most of it was) stated as "Not canon" to the Fallout series. On the other hand you got Fallout 3, which broke about twice as much of the Fallout canon and is claimed by Bethesda as in the same canon as Fallout 1 and 2.

Fallout Tactics is officially semi-canon. The major events are canon, but some of the details are not.

Sorrow said:
On the other hand, getting to an enemy leader (that is behind a single fence with a single locked door) in FoT includes fighting through a linear "maze" with a squad of three people with pre-set weapons.
Up to six people with any weapons that you buy or find and there were usually at least two paths, though you got the biggest reward for killing all of the enemies. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. Tactics is enjoyable, if a little lacking in gameplay depth. It's not really Fallout setting wise but it's really no less Fallout than Fallout 3 (which isn't saying much).

Fallout Tactics wasnt that bad of a game, the multiplayer was very interesting (Ah the good old days of FT:RPG)

The single player missions were pretty linear and boring though, I remember being so excited when the game was announced and then I played it :(

All in all not bad but it just doesnt feel like fallout (Humvee's... really?)

No Combat Armour too... I do like Combat Armour.

The intro was fairly well done though.

I actually bought Tactics when it came out...

Multiplayer was that everyone wanted to go realtime which i hated coming from Fallout 1 and 2... Everyone made twinky characters such as deathclaws that just came out of nowhere and tore you a new a-hole - everyone used the same gun because the variety was like 1-10 where you had to be stupid not to use 10 if you could...

idunno, did i just play it wrong?

Radman said:
Viliny said:
I actually bought Tactics when it came out...

Multiplayer was that everyone wanted to go realtime which i hated coming from Fallout 1 and 2... Everyone made twinky characters such as deathclaws that just came out of nowhere and tore you a new a-hole - everyone used the same gun because the variety was like 1-10 where you had to be stupid not to use 10 if you could...

idunno, did i just play it wrong?

Well I never really played the combat side of the multiplayer, there was a group of people on Gamespy that set up Role Playing games set in various player made cities. In these cities you selected a role, usually being one the following:

Mayor
Police/Sheriff
Raiders
Gangers
Gun Shop
Civilian

I edited and made a few maps including Roadside

Pretty popular back in 04 to 05 and we had a large community going, but like all good things it eventually died off.

Would be nice to have a game again though, its been years since I touched the Fallout Tactics editor.

Tactics is fine (i guess), but to insinuate that Sawyer & Avellone & Co. are going to make a game that's not even as good as a half-assed Fallout game is...

...take a guess...

...just dumb. try using your head and think before you post, lad.

UncannyGarlic said:
Sorrow said:
Up to six people with any weapons that you buy or find and there were usually at least two paths, though you got the biggest reward for killing all of the enemies.
It depends on the mission - there are some missions with two paths and missions that are linear.
About 3 guys - I was talking particularly about the first mission, which I remember having to re-play several times due to either my small force getting worn-down by the high amounts of enemies or a CTD. And which literally had a door next to the starting zone.

Also, one more thing. Besides the limitations of gameplay, FoT is probably the only tactical game I've played where medics can actually restore units to full health. In one turn.

UncannyGarlic said:
It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. Tactics is enjoyable, if a little lacking in gameplay depth. It's not really Fallout setting wise but it's really no less Fallout than Fallout 3 (which isn't saying much).
My point is that while Fallout 1/2 is one of the best cRPGs, Tactics gets owned by almost every game in its genre.
I tried to play it some time ago and it's so limited that I'd prefer to re-play JA2, UFO, Laser Squad or even X-Com3 than play it again.

It's a shame that they didn't even try to make it the best tactical game out there and that they didn't respect the Fallout setting.

Something different.

As far as I can see, the player has a PipBoy 3000 again. Meh, I don't like that thing...

Maybe something like this from coach_lmc's Halloween costume:
14240_207854994128_547624128_398270.jpg

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40184&start=20

Though I highly doubt the old Pip-Boy 2000 was wrist-mounted. Probably looks like a suitcase if you ask me.

I would more like to go in the direction of Van Buren's Lil-Pip 3000. It wouldn't even impossible to do. I mean, it can't be taken 1:1, but in general it should work... maybe I will check it out. First New Vegas mod, before the game is out at all? Could be. Sounds cool. :>

Back