Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

I finished downloading the movies now. I’ll try to convert them to XRGB1555 using Shotcut or VirtualDub2 if the first one is unable to do so. If I get stuck, I’ll ask you to assist. Thanks so much for helping us all enjoy better movies! How do you want to be credited for it: Video Editor or some other title?

@hexer
W8 i haven't uploade the timemachine and hooverdam videos that need to be uploaded as far as i remember?

From what i remember i gave yo only A is for atom, and vtvid, already converted with -mq and a sneakpeak for upped CATHEXP in various possible versions for you to choose from ( look at them ans choose the one you favour the best, tell me the choosen's name and i'll tel you the parameters to use for abel's tool.

It may be so that A is for Atom and vtvid may require re coding to MVE with better parameters too.

anyways I'll look and check if i uploaded the fixed versions of HooverDam and Timemachine...

anyways I'm uploading the rest now..

Sorry for such a mess, been busy with real life stuff lately, I'm in the process of forcing my arc A750 to run on a non supported machine ( legacy BIOS only, unsupported cpu and unsupported PCI-E revision)

Besides there's more than XRGB1555 you also have to set them as uncompressed and change the audio to PCM_s16le when in avi, in order for the sound to play ingame..

Video Editor is a bit too much as i haven't made any of it, how about: video-post-processing

and don't be so quick to add me in... check the stuff first will'ya?

OK last two movies custom to Yesterday were added in nessecary to convert to uncompressed avi XRGB1555 and audio codec to PCM_s16le, in order for it to be ready for MVE conversion, In theory I could do that as well, however the download size of that would be immense.

Ok hexer W8, something is fucked up..
ever since i downlaoded one guy's fallout .inis for revision my pc started to behave weirdly, i think he might have had something extra in those files, the timemachine video is totally fucked up as post conversion it lost like 1000% bitrate from 2000kb/s it's down to 200kb/s the video plays terribly in grayscale and i don't know who did this, it used to work fine couple of days ago.. damn that pissed me off..

anyways Timemachine video is not working properly now, i'll have to change this before anyone is attempting to convert this into MVE...

Last edited:
OK, I like the lq videos the best. I assume the video size will be bigger but I guess in 2024 players can spare a few extra gigs for higher quality.

Yeah, I would be careful with any custom ini fils. We haven’t tested any of them so who knows what could go wrong.

Anyways, I downloaded the HD and Timemach videos. Once you pass on the conversion settings, I’ll kick it off!

Scrap that timemach video, as i said something is fucked up wit that
there's a new lazy way version, this time I actually processed it through AI before turning to grayscale.
I think ffmpeg has some issue converting .avi videos to grayscale, it completely fucked up the bitrate,causing the video to stutter.. that's what happened with the timemachine video you've got.
Just finished uploading the new one it's callled timemach2.avi it's in post-process-480p-avis folder..

on the other hand I had a reflection.. there's too much to do regarding setting the proper bitrate for the video, there's a lot of explaining to do and setting bitrate too low actually cuts down the quality in ABel's tool ( default bitrate is only 300kB/s for the video..

Remember how i said I had to cut the videos into 1:51 minute parts? it was because i had to generate a pallete file by ABel's tool, if I'd load a proper custom palette everything would be processed correctly. however i know shit on making those palettes, could you download all the videos, make the palettes, and pass them over to me? I'll convert the videos ( but i'm guessing I'm too stupid to work with palette tools or maybe there's something wrong wih my dosbox config, i don't know), however once i have proper palette files Abel's tool would work correctly i think, anyways worth a try, i don't want to write down elaborates on how to set the proper bitrate ( though sooner or later i will have to pass this knowledge to someone), since you're at it, i think i'll start preparing the hoover dam video for MVE conversion, it's going to be a hell of a lengthly process to convert that one to MVE :D

EDIT:
the Hoover dam video is quite big but i still need a pallete from it so here goes the heavylifting 28,5GB comin up

EDIT#2:
Yeah so i fianlly uploaded the storyhd.avi.. it wasn't easy took me several tries..
basically you need to have 1000Mb ethernet card and initiate passive download mode in FileZilla in order for the download to complete, also adjust the settings on the server disconnection and force automatic reconnecting when idle. Otherwise you won't be able to download the whole file..

Pay attention to the downloaded file size ( i hope you're on NTFS to make comparison easier).
anyways if you have problems downloading, say so here, i'll write a detailed instructions with screenshots on how to help yourself to succed. however if you're stuck on a 10/100Mb ethernet, be sure to buy TP-LINK UE-300 ( a handy little usb 3.0 usb to ethernet adapter) it will allow you to increase download speed from your 11,4MiB/s to ~3x time this if you're stuck with usb2.0 and up to 10x 11,4MiB/s if you have usb3.0,( provided Your internet connection supports that) i think if you lack 1000Mb ethernet card, the UE-300 is a mandatory requirement.

( it also has other uses on anything with android 10+ like for example andorid tv with 10/100Mb ethernet card android 10+ and a usb3.0 port ;) so it's a handy thing to have ).

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve downloaded the latest videos and will try to generate those palette files for you. I doubt that the high quality palette will be much different than the one generated from a mid quality video. Anyways, time to start converting
:vatted:

As i said in pm man, i'll tackle this just gimme time,
Seemes there's no other way but to cut the video into bits.
Do not use interplay tool, it's crap

ok so with no help out there regarding errors i get in Abel's avi2mve tool regarding two of the longest Yesterday's videos, i started to tinker around with Interplay's MVETools, it turns out it's got all the same apps as TeamX's MVE-TOOLS and even more. managed to succesfully convert CATHEXP.mve from tga's with it, although colors seem to be fucked up a bit and the output res was utter garbage ( because i went all in on the options in the .cfg including lowres support for my initial try), however i'll continue with experimenting and perhaps i'll come up with some reasonable solution.

anybody knows of a way to launch this tool besides dosbox? dosbox is garbage slow for this 301 frame video takes over 3 hours to craft. Any proposals to speed this up? will it work on VirtualBox with WinXP? or should i go straight for win98?

i need to utilise more ram than dosbox can provide need a faster CPU than dosbox could ever emulate, and also need an access to filesystem with 4GB< filesize limit for the videos, so likely NTFS, and at the same time those apps need to run so likely 16/32bit system with MS-DOS core, as NT-dos is unlikely going to work for this..

Did anyone on this forum had any success with intrplay's MVE-TOOLS in the past?
please post your findngs, so that i don't dwell in the fog

Yeah today was a day of education..

the Interplay tool is indeed inferior when it comes to generating quality cinematic.
Luckily I found where did the errors that prevented mve compilation generated themselves in the videos and went around the problem. one particularily stubborn video that didn't want to join together after conversion ( A is for Atom got a special treatment with interplay merging tool) well where devil can't manage hell' send a witch. I'm currently in the process of converting remaining parts of hoover dam video goes smooth as butter..

Yeah I think I cracked down most of the MVE making secrets in both Abel's and Interplay's tools. if anyone wants a tutorial or just wants to learn working with mve for fallout engine, I'll be glad to pass on what i know..

Last edited:
@hexer
ufff... So after a hilarious and lengthly stuntfuckery, that involved both Interplay and Abel's tools to be used i finally managed to convert the most stubborn of your files..
Both storyhd and intro were succesfully converted into mve format. timemach and vtvid were converted from some time already.
I'm going to tackle the small stuff now CATHEXP, VATEXP, DIPPED, OVRRUN, TANKER and DERRICK, as those were not properly made into mve in 640x480, i actually never made them in that resolution, as i always went for 720p Xvid .AVIs, so i'll have to re-render them first. Anyways it's a small time task. each of those takes like 10 minutes or less to render each, conversion is also non problematic.

if all goes well I'll be uploading all the mve's to my ftp server in the evening.
I'm so glad i managed to tackle this before summer heat break..

If You're inteerested i hearing on the lengthly process of what's needed to be done, in what order, and wich tools to use when, for creation of such untypical mve files. ask me in PM, and i'll go over it..

AS for the title in credits, since you asked, i must say I feel honored.. as for the title just set me up under "Video Post-Processing". this would fit in nice, as I'm not the author of this motion picture, nor have i created the original input files, i only toyed with the format, size, and in certain cases with the video quality, although don't expect miracles :p

EDIT# 15:47 CEST:

Ok I started the uploads. I'll be using manual/passive connection mode solely to upload theese, since otherwise client disconnects from the server too quickly.
most files are few gigs max although the hooverdam video is a hefty ~15GB after converting to .MVE given the damn file size of theese videos, i don't think i'll be doing any HD Upscales for Yesterday, i don't want to clog ppl's drives with just the damn videos.
Although the MVEs were nessecary at least the custom ones..
I was begining to think You haven't added storyhd.mve simply because You had problems converting the original in the first place :p

anyways the files are on their way to the server..

EDIT# 19:11 CEST:

colt 1911
gotta love that hour...

anyways Upload finished, it's now on the server in Fo:Yesterday folder
uploads divided to new_mves and Post-Processed_480p

The post processed 480p are the magic treated .AVIs that served as video input for the .MVEs. not 1:1 though, as some required cutting before conversion and merging after (Abel's tool couldn't handle the length) and about all require soundtrack reprocessing first poke it out to .m4a later convert to a constant bitrate and lowered sample rate .mp3, and finaly to PCM_s16le .wav (all possible in ffmpeg) ( the last format is compatible with abel's tool), the audio tracks weren't merged into the .AVIs as that caused ABel's tool to bug out. instead the .wav files were added to the conversion process via -w parameter in commandline.

the ocasional quality incrase is possible due to setting bitrate to *over 9000* levels.
by default Abel's tool keeps 300kB bitrate, but it's possible to set it to any value in commandline.
in order to calculate correct bitrate one needs to right-click the video and select properties. next switch tab to where clip info is displayed. take note of video bitrate not the total bitrate. open up calculator and input the video bitrate value and add 705 to it (that's the bitrate of the PCM_s16le 22050Hz Stereo format audio which needs to replace the audio from the .avi). after adding divide everything by 8 to convert from kb/s to kB/s,as Abel tool operates in kB/s, the given value needs to be inputed after -rate parameter in the commandline.

oh yeah intro.mve and storyhd.mve will not generate an backwards .avi nor will they generate an exe from mve2exe this is explained below.
Due to the video size ABel's tool generally has problems around ~3400th frame during video's palette's creation, in order to circumvent that i had to cut all videos bigger than 3400 frames to parts. however mve_join.exe does not process videos that are to exceed 4GB, it bug out.
in order to go around the problem i had to use Interplay's MUTIL.EXE under dosbox mounted from a folder on a host drive formated to a file system that natively supports >4GB file size a.k.a exFAT or NTFS.
the command for merging is:
MUTIL.EXE MERGE [out].MVE [in1].MVE [in2].MVE
and all parts need to be processed through that. unfortuneatly abel's mve2avi bugs out, and the MUTIL GETAVI [in].mve [out].avi says that it doesn't work with 16 bit audio *yet*, so it doesn't produce an .avi either. mve2exe bugs out too, so the only preview is ingame unfortuneatly.
for the record intro.mve consisted of 8x 1:51 minute parts, and storyhd.mve consisted of 17x 100 second parts mostly.

Last edited:
Well done! :clap: Can’t wait to see them in-game. The difference in quality is incredible, especially with those lower-quality videos. This is amazing, the players will love it!

Well done! :clap: Can’t wait to see them in-game. The difference in quality is incredible, especially with those lower-quality videos. This is amazing, the players will love it!

Ok man just be sure to view them .mve ingame, they don't look as shiny as .avi counterparts, due to windows image-enhancing them by gpu via power option setting, and sfall does not copy that ingame..
Still some of those videos look somewhat better, although folks on potatos will have a hard time watching theese, as videos will all but require an ssd now. I highly doubt hdd would cut it

For the upcoming v0.6, the great special encounter audit was set in motion, meaning that those special encounters unique to Fallout 1/2 will be leaving us. They were never meant to be permanent, just a temporary addition to the game until we sort out Van Buren and our own unique encounters.

However, since I expanded the crashed UFO encounter, allowing the player to enter it through the little door (air vent?), I was wondering if anyone wants it? Perhaps to include it in a smaller or bigger mod? Check out the screenshot below and let me know if you want the art file.

P.S. I recommend keeping the brahmin skeleton for the laughs

Attachments

• scr00000.png
    scr00000.png
    288.7 KB · Views: 79
over 20GB..
yup that's the downside of having a 640x480 video look good on a big screen.. i had to increase the pixel density, and that literally means bigger size, since I've put the slider to 100% of it's capability means the pixel density is 72 pixels per inch. this is capable of looking moderately good on a 4k screen despite the resolution beeing 640x480. But yeah the file size is the big con here. however the main reason behind those files beeing 20GB is the HooverDam video which is ~15GB because that's 30 min of almost uncompressed footage, what can you expect :p on the other hand v0.5 did not include any version of storyhd.mve, not even a basic unprocessed one, and that file would still be like 5GB or so due to the fact that .mve is not a super effective compression method ( not even the -hq ). although i could try to make one if you'll have trouble with converting of your original storyhd it would still require to be downsized and coverted to .avi format plus probably still require to be cut to 17 parts before converting to .mve and after that finally joined with interplay tools (mutil.exe) (as abel's tool .mve joiner works with files up to 3,5GB max).

the original file storyhd.mpeg is 1,25GB in size, and that's with a moderate compression.. so i wouldn't expect it to be any smaller when converted to .mve, i could try to convert it without de-interacing and without increasing pixel density, however everything else from further above still applies as the video is 720x480, so it needs to o be resized in order to convert it to .mve, and 17parts still apply due to frame limit in avi2mve.

You probably won't have to distribute them videos.
one guy contacted me via PM and offered a mirror to my ftp downloads.

Last edited:
I was thinking of offering the medium quality ones which have reasonable size as the default ones, and the highest quality ones as optional downloads.

Does the person who will mirror your FTP have any bandwidth limits? Also, will that mirror be live, 10 years from now or there's a chance it will shut down?

Pardon the silly question, but have you tried packing the MVE set with 7zip or Rar?

I just packed the MVEs from Fallout 2, and they compressed to 50% or less of their normal size.

I was thinking of offering the medium quality ones which have reasonable size as the default ones, and the highest quality ones as optional downloads.

Does the person who will mirror your FTP have any bandwidth limits? Also, will that mirror be live, 10 years from now or there's a chance it will shut down?

no idea, the person just asked random questions regarding how I did the upscales and wanted to mirror the download, replied only once couple of days ago, never heard back more from him..

I just packed the MVEs from Fallout 2, and they compressed to 50% or less of their normal size.

50% of 20GB is still 10GB.. that's quite a thing to download for a fallout 2 mod isn't it?

the storyhd video ( a.k.a ~30min hoover dam informational video) that was not the part of v0.5 is already 1,25GB in it's basic form. i suspect it's going to be around 3-5GB when turned to .mve with -hq or medium quality..

50% of 20GB is still 10GB.. that's quite a thing to download for a fallout 2 mod isn't it?
Yes it is; and 50% of 20gb is far more preferable if possible.

If it wasn't so difficult/custom to encode the MVEs, I'd say deliver them all as h.265 with an encoder script to convert them to MVE.

Is it feasible to bypass the MVE playback function with a modern codec frame server?... have it playback Xvid, or Bink; Smacker even.

Last edited:
oh please so keep the HD as an optional install! I rather keep my diskspace. for just a few minutes of "HD" playtime it just isnt worth it... I rather keep those for my movies on my 4k HD tv XD

Here is a funny thought, is it possible to point the game to a mounted Blu-ray drive with the videos on it?

_________

Offhand, if need be junction* the movies folder to the blu-ray drive.

*But I cannot recall if optical drives work with junctions. Junctions do work with TF cards.

Last edited:
@Gizmojunk
stop making dick jokes about it.. you know darn well why h.265 or even h.264 wasn't chosen as sfall playback, it's because such decoders require royalty fee, and each sfall download would require few exta $$ to be paid to certain organizations in order to uphold the american law ( and don't make stupid ass jokes to the LAW tank buster rocket launcher here..). the problem is real, uncmpressed footage takes a lot of space, originally the storyhd.avi takes almost 30GB on my drive, and i also had to join it from 17 parts of several GB so in total it chugged up almost 200GB on m drive just for the storyhd.mve and storyhd.avi

Back