Fargo says Meantime, Van Buren trademarks not part of what's up next

Sander

This ghoul has seen it all
Staff member
Admin
Orderite
We can return to speculating about which game inXile is going to resurrect next. Brian Fargo has confirmed that he has registered both Meantime and Van Buren as trademarks, but told IGN that neither of these ideas are "part of what's up next".

"I truly feel fortunate that with crowdfunding and the great response to Wasteland 2 I can actually start to plot out a long RPG future for us. I think it's important to remember that some of these ideas are, at best, many years away. While they are not a part of what's up next, I certainly would not have filed for them if I didn't have a deep interest in exploring these concepts."

So which long-awaited game are inXile going to produce after Wasteland 2 and Torment? Another installment of the Bard's Tale franchise is a realistic option, as Fargo's 2004 re-boot was more of a satirical take on the genre than a real sequel. Other options I've seen floated are sequels to Arcanum, Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, but inXile would have to find a way to finagle the licenses for those games from their respective owners, and in the latter two cases, would probably have to strike a deal with Hasbro for the right to use D&D. Certainly not impossible, but not very likely for a relatively small studio like inXile.

So what do you guys think?

Arcanum 2 without Tim Cain? That doesn't sound much appealing to me, to be honest. Or are they planning to cooperate with Obsidian in some way, as they did during Wasteland 2 development? That should be investigated some more. Where are those vigorous gaming journos when one needs them! :razz:

I don't know. I could give a shit less about Brian Fargo and what InXile is making next.

My eye's are on Obsidian.

Arcanum 2 without Tim Cain? That doesn't sound much appealing to me, to be honest. Or are they planning to cooperate with Obsidian in some way, as they did during Wasteland 2 development? That should be investigated some more. Where are those vigorous gaming journos when one needs them! :razz:

Brian Fargo seems on good terms with Obsidian, and with sharing employees... Whose to say that Tim couldn't work on Arcanum 2.

I don't think Arcanum needs a sequel, but I would love to see inXile make a steampunk RPG, preferably with as many of the main Troika designers as possible. Anderson already works with inXile and Cain probably would not be too hard for them to get to join on.

I wouldn't mind a Dragon Wars 2 sequel as the setting sounded interesting, and I would love to see some of the fake paragraph stuff actually being appear in a game.

This is going to sound extreme, but I say let dead franchises stay dead, start something new instead. Wasteland 2 would be a so much better game if it wasn't hold back by the fact that it is a Wasteland sequel, and I get the feeling that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be massively held back by the need to ape and reference Planescape: Torment.

Wasteland 2 would be a so much better game if it wasn't hold back by the fact that it is a Wasteland sequel...

I agree with you, W2 really starts in the end of Arizona and in California or so I heard. The begging and middle ( of Arizona) is a bit tiresome to go trough ( one of reasons that I still didn't finished W2) but they needed to show what The Desert Rangers and Arizona had become after the events of the first game.

... I get the feeling that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be massively held back by the need to ape and reference Planescape: Torment.

I can't see how, it's another setting with another rules and aspects. Apart from easter eggs, the only thing that they need to reference or stay true to Planescape is good writing writing and memorable characters. One could say combat but everybody knows how that turned out in Planescape and Numenera is using the Crisis thing to replace it. ( Combat will only happen in certain scenarios)

well I hope they will not make in some kind of interactive book. Combat should be one of many different choices, if you choce to follow down that path.

This is going to sound extreme, but I say let dead franchises stay dead, start something new instead. Wasteland 2 would be a so much better game if it wasn't hold back by the fact that it is a Wasteland sequel, and I get the feeling that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be massively held back by the need to ape and reference Planescape: Torment.

This. I'm as sick and tired of game sequels as I am of movie sequels/remakes. I'm also sick and tired of post-apoc games, it's been like a disease the last couple of years. We need a developer who understands and appreciates the glorious past of RPG gaming but has his eyes firmly fixed on its future.

I understand what you mean, but Inexile wouldn't have come anywhere near making as much money from their Kickstarters if it wasn't for the Wasteland and Torment names. I think it was sequels of great original games of the past or nothing at all. I do hope that after a few of these sequels they will have enough in the bank to try out an original IP again.

This is going to sound extreme, but I like sequels. I like when a universe that I enjoy gets expanded. I'm all for new things, but it's nice playing in a familiar setting too.

I wouldn't mind some more "true" cRPGs. There are so many tactical combat RPGs out now that it's getting tiresome. Alec's right about the post apocalypse genre as well.
I'm expecting some interesting mechanics and good story from Tides of Numenera, for example , but genre wise it's essentially a magical dungeons and dragons type of game.
How about something new entirely - a space opera RPG, anyone? Or some eldritch mistery in a setting that's not already thoroughly explored in fiction. Not an RPG in any sense, but This War of Mine was a refreshing change from the usual takes on war games.

Not as staunchly against sequuels as the others, but Jesus fuck, a good new ip would be welcome more often that is not a rethread of the same shit. I wouldn't say post apoc games are too cliched, but instead Zombie games are the real plague, they all tell the same stories and are too obsessed with being super cereal nowadays....

Back