Favorite books / What are you reading?

The Dutch Ghost said:
Verevoof, have you read Rendezvous with Rama, little on the character development but very interesting stuff regarding an encounter with an alien starship.
And not big chapters either.
Haven't yet, but I want to. (There are way too many books I want to read.)

Rendezvous with Rama is really a fun book to read. Characters are utterly blank, but it's an interesting little science fiction book. It may be 'hard sf', but it's quite easy to digest.

My favourite book is probably the Time Machine by H.G Wells.

At the moment, I'm travelling down memory lane and reading Micheal Crichton's Jurassic Park novels, I'm currently on the Lost World.

They're great books, a little bit more science based and less of a happy adventure like the movies.

The Lost World is getting a bit slow though,I remember why I didn't like it that much as a teenager.

I'm reading The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett. I've been reading about one book of his a month for the past year and I've still only read half of them.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Moby-Dick

I think this was some mix-up of American and English editions which where somewhat different in wording, language and certain phrases, if I'm correct.

Either way, I've read it in English, and I had to muster up all my knowledge of the language to tackle this book. It was worth it, though. Not exactly what I imagined, but it was a rich book to read. I've heard some critique towards the fact that whaling business was so thoroughly explained and it took up almost half of the book, but I personally enjoyed it, if anything, for its historic and educational value.

Now I have to watch the film with the Boxhead...erm, Gregory Peck starring Ahab.

Atomkilla said:
Moby-Dick

I think this was some mix-up of American and English editions which where somewhat different in wording, language and certain phrases, if I'm correct.

Either way, I've read it in English, and I had to muster up all my knowledge of the language to tackle this book. It was worth it, though. Not exactly what I imagined, but it was a rich book to read. I've heard some critique towards the fact that whaling business was so thoroughly explained and it took up almost half of the book, but I personally enjoyed it, if anything, for its historic and educational value.

Now I have to watch the film with the Boxhead...erm, Gregory Peck starring Ahab.
Excellent book and an excellent movie.
The TV movie with Patrick Stewart as Ahab is a bit trashy but enjoyable as well, btw.

Hassknecht said:
The TV movie with Patrick Stewart as Ahab is a bit trashy but enjoyable as well, btw.

Actually, I've seen bits and pieces of that one a long time ago, and it was a bit underwhelming. Might've even put off the process of reading the actual book a bit.

But it gets aired on the national television every now and then, for some reason, so I might catch it before I know it.

Not currently reading any books per say, but I am currently reading The Sandman Vol.8 which is a graphic novel by Neil Gaiman

Sandman is one of my favorite comic series. It's written better then most of the books i read. I ended up staying in a relationship with a girl i was planning on breaking up with because her friend was leading me the comics and i wanted to finish them.

Back on topic, I'm reading Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul.

Finished "Armor" by John Steakley. Good, but frustrating at time. I still prefer Haldeman, Scalzi or Heinlein for my warrior scifi.

Started on "Rule 34" by Charles Stross. About halfway now.

Got myself an ebook reader (I am a sucker for gadgets and try to resist the urge to buy stuff, but this time I failed). Read the sprawl trilogy by william gibson and am in the middle of "do androids dream of electric sheep?" (read that one before, but a long time ago) from PKD. Good reads so far.

Recently read and finished Inferno by Niven and Pournelle.

Enjoyable little book, I finished it within one day, not because it was that short but I was really into it.

I have read several of Stross' Laundry books which I really enjoyed. (think Cthulhu mythos meets British bureaucracy)

I have a lot on my plate right now regarding real world tasks but after that I am not sure what I would read.
Definitely the next Man-Kzin wars once it is released.

UniversalWolf said:
Atomkilla said:
Moby-Dick...Not exactly what I imagined, but it was a rich book to read.
It's quite funny, which I didn't expect before I'd read it.

Yes, that took my by the surprise too.
I can honestly say that I literally cracked up at several moments.
It's a great book really. Some time has passed since I'd read it, and I can safely say it's a fantastic book.

Right now I'm on a Warhammer kick. I just finished all 24 books in the Horus Heresy series. I recommend it if you like sci-fi/fantasy books.

I've just finished reading A Writers Tale by Russel T Davies, and it reminded me why I prefer Moffat writing Doctor Who.

I mean Christ he seriously considered an episode where J.K Rowling's imagination is brought to life and the Doctor has to fight through Hogwarts and other Harry Potter related things.

It also gave some insight as to why the Series 4 finale was so shit.

Back