Favorite CONSOLE Rpgs

Eternal

Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?
I know, the idea of a console based RPG puts a bad taste in many peoples mouths here. But I'm sure there are a handful of good ones out there (Bards Tale/Wasteland for example were on commodore.)

So what are some of your favorite RPGs that were on consoles?

Many of my favorites are JRPGs that have a decent gameplay but crappy story but there are a couple that stand out as good overall.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) is by far my favorite game in the FF series. Having in my opinion the strongest story, though towards the end it sort of unravels into the standard JRPG fare the first half or so stand out as a great piece of storytelling about betrayal, family, loyalty, and subterfuge.

Shadowrun (SNES) I know that the genesis one was supposed to be better in terms of the closeness to the PNP game, but I just loved the whole package that was the SNES version, the graphics, the music, the story, the dialogue, all of it meshed well together. I still get mad when I beat it and see the teaser refrencing Shadowrun 2 (which never happened.)

Super Mario RPG(SNES) still my favorite Mario RPG in the series, they are all pretty fun but this one really was just great. I just wish Luigi was able to join your party :(

Chrono Trigger (SNES) A classic. Sure it fufills all the JRPG stereotypes but it also had an engaging story with multiple endings and a fun world to explore.

Earthbound (entire series) (NES/SNES/GBA) I just loved the absurdity, the musical refrences and music itself, plus the humor was great.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure if I went and looked at my game collection I'd find some other ones, but these always really stuck with me.

I liked Breath of Fire IV. The combos were kind of cool, and the dragon transformations were good fun.

My fave would have to be the first RPG I played that wasn't FF: Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals

it's been a long time since I played a console RPG, but I have very fond memories of Breath of Fire and Final Fantasy VII. both still remain among my favorite games, even though I haven't played them in ages. I'm actually considering replaying FFVII soon. but I kinda dread the amoung of hours I'm gonna have to put into it and the lame fights. there's a reason I gave up on jrpg's years ago.

Shadowrun and Chrono Trigger. That's it. Everything else I ever played on consoles were platform games/side-scrolling games. And Chrono Trigger I only played over at a friend's many many many years later because it was impossible to find over here at the time. Even Shadowrun was fucking hard to find, I actually bought it at Dover (England), a lot of people went there to shop at the time, the boats were cheap as feck, especially if you lived in Ostend. Other systems seemed to be more in vogue over here, as far as I can tell. I have more fond Sega Master System memories really (Alex Kidd in Miracle World 4 ever!!!!!!!!), but all I ever played on those were platform games/side-scrollers. I was really into those when I was younger. Great times. I miss it.

FF6, FF 4, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 2 and secret of mana 2.

My favorite of all is Chrono Trigger.

Phantasy Star 4 and Breath of Fire 3 are probably my favourite JRPGs, along with FF6-7 and CT. I'd include FFT and the Disgaea series but they are Tactics games, I'm not sure they count.

Could Final Fantasy Tactics be considered a RPG…well maybe a “turn based strategy RPG”? This game is in my favorite 5 best games of all time…don’t be fooled by the cute looks its one seriously interesting game. I’m referring to the PS1 version, for all I know they shat on the later versions.

tactic2gy5.gif

Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome, and the Phantasy Star series is great, but the best console RPG of all time is, IMO, Chrono Trigger. Great characters, time travel, team attacks, multiple endings, etc, etc... great RPG.

oh, damn. forgot to mention Final Fantasy Tactics. I played that one A LOT.

the game has a serious flaw that prevents me from playing it ever again, though - the way you can basically max out all skills with your characters by simply standing around attacking the same enemy over and over while keeping it alive.

I met a guy who worked for Square and on Final Fantasy 7 (he made the backdrops in the battle scenes)…anyway I mentioned that FFT’s was my favorite Square game, and then he mentioned that Square actually didn’t build the game, they bought it from another company and they simply slapped their brand on it…that’s the games industry for yah. :roll:

Would Front Mission be included in this thread…it has certain RPG qualities and bots to boot.

s_3.jpg

Console RPGs? Given that the two Shadowrun games are the only non-Japanese games mentioned so far, not sure that it's the best title for the thread. Even moreso given that most western RPGs for consoles aren't any different than those for PC. The Shadowrun games are the only games that I can think of that weren't PC games ported to console up until the XBox...

rcorporon said:
Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome, and the Phantasy Star series is great, but the best console RPG of all time is, IMO, Chrono Trigger. Great characters, time travel, team attacks, multiple endings, etc, etc... great RPG.
I never liked Phantasy Star and I've tried a few times, it lacks user input too much and the battle system wasn't very interesting to boot. Chrono Trigger is an example of design excellence, one of the best games ever made. That it has been pretty much ignored for design direction by developers irks me.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
FF7, 9 and Chrono Cross would be my favorites that stand above the rest.
Chrono Cross is a bloody mess. The design goal of the game was to make a game with 64 characters which they ended up having to reduce to 45 because they ran out of time. They sacrificed character depth (if I remember right, only Kid, Serge, and Harle have more than 1 section that delves into their character) and uniqueness (a lot of spells/skills are shared) in order to do so. This includes sacrificing Magus as a character as they knew they didn't have enough time for his back story (he was changed to Guile). Then there's the experience system which limits how many levels you can gain at any point, with a use it or loose it system.

.Pixote. said:
I met a guy who worked for Square and on Final Fantasy 7 (he made the backdrops in the battle scenes)…anyway I mentioned that FFT’s was my favorite Square game, and then he mentioned that Square actually didn’t build the game, they bought it from another company and they simply slapped their brand on it…that’s the games industry for yah. :roll:
He either made that up or was misinformed, Square fully developed FFVII. Edios ported it to PC and Square directs all questions about that version to them, but the game was designed and built by Square.

.Pixote. said:
Would Front Mission be included in this thread…it has certain RPG qualities and bots to boot.
Given that FFT has been mentioned, I assume that TRPGs are being included.

My favorite JRPGs are: Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Valkyrie Profile 2, and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I need to play more of Lufia II but what I have played gives it, FFIX, and Tales of Phantasia honorable mention.

TRPGs are more my style, with my favorites being: Front Mission 4 (I've only played 1 and 4), Disgaea (only played the first), and FFT (FFTA wasn't as good, haven't played FFTA2).

It sucks that Square has only released Front Mission 1 (remake for DS), 3, and 4 in the US, as I think it's a great series. Front Mission evolved does not please me due to it being an action game made by the US company that made GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra rather than another TRPG made by Square or a good third party.

UncannyGarlic said:
He either made that up or was misinformed, Square fully developed FFVII.

He was talking of FFT, not FF7. And it's still not completely correct. Probably he meant that the guy in charge of the project had formerly worked on another series that was quite similar to FFT (Ogre Battle).

"Final Fantasy Tactics was produced mostly by the team that made Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre, and was Yasumi Matsuno's first project with Square following his departure from Quest in 1995"

Ahh, yeah I should have realized he was talking about FFT since the two came out at the same time. Yeah, it was actually fully made by Square, it's just that the three of the big people behind it were from Quest and were folks behind Ogre Battle. Obviously they brought a lot to FFT but with that said, one shouldn't minimize the other people involved such as the other director, Hiroyuki Ito, who had been with Square for a long time.

Well if people are going to mention Front Mission and Final Fantasy Tactics, I'm going to mention Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and Ogre Battle 64: A Person of Lordly Caliber.

2wrdwzc.jpg

Farking awesome games although the relationship between Magnus and Yumil seems a little ambiguously gay.....

EDIT:Uncanny Garlic done beat me but none the less great games....

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday.

Only played it on the Sega Megadrive.

I don't get this thread. What the heck is a "console RPG"? Do you just mean Japanese RPG? If so, say so.

/doesn't play jRPGs

Back