Fallout 2 mod FO2 Engine Tweaks (Sfall)

Sfall used to have the option in the .ini file of changing the max limit of 999 to whatever you want for carry weight limit, but then for whatever reason, that was removed. Is there any way to reimplement that option to the latest .ini file? I've tried to just write it in the file, but that doesn't seem to work.

Sfall used to have the option in the .ini file of changing the max limit of 999 to whatever you want for carry weight limit, but then for whatever reason, that was removed. Is there any way to reimplement that option to the latest .ini file? I've tried to just write it in the file, but that doesn't seem to work.
The option only existed in 3.7b and 3.7.3, and was removed because it can be easily scripted with "set_stat_max" script function like this:
Code:
#include ".\headers\define.h"

procedure start begin
   set_stat_max(STAT_carry_amt, 2147483647); // INT_MAX
end
If all you want is to carry unlimited stuff, you can just set CritterInvSizeLimitMode=5 and CritterInvSizeLimit=2000000000.

sfall 4.3.3 and 3.8.33 are released on SourceForge, along with their respective modders packs.
  • >Fixed the black screen issue in DX9 mode when returning to the game after using Alt+Tab

Not related to Fallout, but I'm having a similar problem in a different old game and this might help me. Could I ask what specifically was the problem with the DX?

The option only existed in 3.7b and 3.7.3, and was removed because it can be easily scripted with "set_stat_max" script function like this:
Code:
#include ".\headers\define.h"

procedure start begin
   set_stat_max(STAT_carry_amt, 2147483647); // INT_MAX
end
If all you want is to carry unlimited stuff, you can just set CritterInvSizeLimitMode=5 and CritterInvSizeLimit=2000000000.

Or as me just set CritterInvSizeLimitMode=4 that literally removes in game checks for both carry weight and item space, for both You and the NPCs..
In short the description says: add 4 to the number to disable carry weight check, and it also says input 1 to enable item space checks. so 0+4=4 and the both checks are disabled...
Am I right Nova?

In summary, when engaged in combat with another NPC a bystander would use Jet on themselves and the game would crash with a memory error being referenced.
I tried putting some Jets on prostitutes then attacked a pimp, some of them use Jet but nothing unusual happens. But I only tried it on RPU v25 w/o other mods.
Would be easier if you have a save that can reproduce the crash.

I tried putting some Jets on prostitutes then attacked a pimp, some of them use Jet but nothing unusual happens. But I only tried it on RPU v25 w/o other mods.

No the prostitute herself in Second Street in New Reno uses the Jet herself. Not the PC applying it. Try to engage in combat with one of them outside Salvatore's Bar. And watch the bystander prostitutes (The ones not fighting you but can still be targeted by the highlight) use the chem.

I can try recording a video and posting it here to give further detail of the issue.

No the prostitute herself in Second Street in New Reno uses the Jet herself. Not the PC applying it. Try to engage in combat with one of them outside Salvatore's Bar. And watch the bystander prostitutes (The ones not fighting you but can still be targeted by the highlight) use the chem.
That's how I tried to reproduce. The prostitute who used Jet is not the NPC I attacked (I attacked a pimp).

I can try recording a video and posting it here to give further detail of the issue.
Uploading your save should be much smaller than the video clip, no?

EDIT: While I didn't get crashes, I got funny messages saying "Prostitute uses .223 Pistol" (I have one in my right hand slot). I think it should be related to the crash, just in my case it's a valid object pointer so the game doesn't crash on trying to get the name.

Last edited:
Uploading your save should be much smaller than the video clip, no?

Very well,

Here are two Save Files, one for the main and the other for the backup. They will be listed and named like this. vvvv
Save File number, name, and description will be titled like this for example. {"Save File Number/Name: 281/Best outcome for the village (Details of the Save File)"}

Save File Number/Name: 314/Stealing in new Reno (Behind a prostitute to engage the fight.)

Save File Number/Name: 315/Stealing in New Reno backup (Just a backup for the previous one. Although keep in mind I'm in a different location. Not too far away, only a couple of dozens of hex tiles away.)

Also, I would to mention that I added more detail to the specifics of my Sfall problem thread from the link I posted above. Underneath the Debug log where I say "More Specifically".
https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads...no-5-mods-in-description.220956/#post-4460008

EDIT: I posted the link to my issue thread with the updated specifics for your convenience :)
Punctuation and symbol changes to my wording.

Attachments

Last edited:
EDIT: While I didn't get crashes, I got funny messages saying "Prostitute uses .223 Pistol" (I have one in my right hand slot). I think it should be related to the crash, just in my case it's a valid object pointer so the game doesn't crash on trying to get the name.

Interesting, perhaps the prostitute is trying to use the Jet in my inventory then? As I do have plenty. x61 in number count

EDIT: But none of that Jet is in my Active Items. The Winchester Widowmaker Shotgun is the Left Active Item and the Spiked Knuckles is in the Right Active Item

Last edited:
I assume you guys wont be adding more op codes to the decompile/compilers as u added multiple op codes that are generic cept for the string used with them?am I wrong?

I have one more idea up my sleeve. Irc the Sfall zip has a readme file saying this under the *Installation* Section

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you are using a mod that included sfall already (e.g. killap's unofficial patch or RP, etc.) then that mod has probably included a custom modified ddraw.ini. In that case, overwriting it with sfall's vanilla ddraw.ini will be likely break your game. Instead, only overwrite ddraw.dll, and keep the mod's existing copy of ddraw.ini. (Or, if you know what you're doing, you can merge them together by hand.)

In the Sfall 4.3.3 zip file there are 7 files and 2 folders
I took these files and folders to overwrite my game's directory files and folders that have the same name. EXCEPT FOR THE DDRAW.INI

Folders:
translations <----
data <----

Files:
sfall-readme.txt <----
sfall-mods.ini <----
sfall.dat <----
license.txt <----
FAQ.txt <----
ddraw.ini
ddraw.dll <----

I think overwriting sfall-mods.ini may do something wrong or perhaps overwriting everything besides ddraw.ini is what has been causing my issue. Perhaps I miss read the readme, was only to overwrite the ddraw.dll.

I will back up my save files, game directory, and do three experiments.

>Re-install RPU hoping it will overwrite all Sfall files. While making sure my other mod files are not affected by Sfall 4.3.3.

>Clean out my Fallout 2 Folder reinstalling all the mods and only overwriting ddraw.dll from this Sfall.

>Clean out my Fallout 2 Folder reinstall all the mods and not install the newest Sfall.

I will make a post to give an update on my experiments.

Last edited:
I just installed the most recent RPU and have been tweaking it to my preference, and I'm having trouble finding an sfall option. I recall that sfall used to have an option that placed the newest inventory items at the bottom of the inventory, rather than the top. This may have been the fallout 1 sfall fork, not the currently maintained F2 version - am I remembering correctly? Is there a way to achieve this behavior with Fallout 2?

placed the newest inventory items at the bottom of the inventory, rather than the top. This may have been the fallout 1 sfall fork, not the currently maintained F2 version - am I remembering correctly? Is there a way to achieve this behavior with Fallout 2?
That's how the inventory list works in Fallout 1 (even without sfall1), in Fallout 2 the devs reversed the displayed inventory list so one doesn't always need to scroll down to the bottom for newest items. AFAIR there's never an option to restore that FO1 behavior.

Last edited:
That's how the inventory list works in Fallout 1 (even without sfall1), in Fallout 2 the devs reversed the displayed inventory list so one doesn't always need to scroll down to the bottom for newest items. AFAIR there's never an option to restore that FO1 behavior.
Thanks Nova, I must be conflating the default F1 behavior with an imagined sfall option.

Separately, I could use some feedback on why my .dat mod placed in \mods\ is only partially working. The shortened temple of trials loads correctly (from .dat\maps\) but it doesn't appear that my proto tweaks are working, for example the knife (12.pro) doesn't use the newly assigned ground .FRM I've given it, despite everything looking correct in proto manager.

My dat mod builds on the RPU v25 version of .LST and .PRO files, link is here: http://filedropper.com/FgaMgspj

I'm guessing there's some intricacy of sfall's loading of .dat mods that I'm not aware of. This mod is loading last, given the zz- prefix.

edit: this is on a new saved game

for example the knife (12.pro) doesn't use the newly assigned ground .FRM I've given it, despite everything looking correct in proto manager.
I guess if you change the damage value of the knife, the damage displayed in the game will be the new one. When you changed the ground .frm for an item proto, the existing items on the map (in containers or on NPCs' inventory) will still keep their old FID (ground .frm).
If you spawn a new knife with scripts, it should have your newly assigned ground .frm. You can use a global script to update the FID for existing items.

Last edited:
I guess if you change the damage value of the knife, the damage displayed in the game will be the new one. When you changed the ground .frm for an item proto, the existing items on the map (in containers or on NPCs' inventory) will still keep their old FID (ground .frm).
If you spawn a new knife with scripts, it should have your newly assigned ground .frm. You can use a global script to update the FID for existing items.
That's it, the item was looted from a static container. Thank you.

Any example you point me to for such a script?

Back