Fallout 2 mod FO2 Engine Tweaks (Sfall)

Thanks again, I need to dive into how to configure the script compiler now.

One question - in principle, could this method be extended such that static critters' stats can be updated from modified critter.pros? This was one of the hurdles of some sort of comprehensive tactics mod iirc, you can edit critter protos all day long but everything placed in a map would have had to be updated by hand.

I understand your script's scope doesn't include critters, but you have me wondering..

Here's one I modified from EcCo's global script and used in my personal weapon mod.

I compiled it exactly as you wrote, and it compiled without any errors using the the most recent SfallScriptEditor, and I got my headers from the sfall modder pack as well as the UPU/RPU source headers. Once compiled, I placed it in \data\scripts\ but when I load a game and transition to a new map, I don't see the script firing in debug.log. This is with sfall 4.3.3. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

I just tested it again with the sawed-off shotgun on Cassidy (changing its ground frm from rifle to pistol).
The script only works when you enter an unvisited map.

I have one more idea up my sleeve. Irc the Sfall zip has a readme file saying this under the *Installation* Section

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you are using a mod that included sfall already (e.g. killap's unofficial patch or RP, etc.) then that mod has probably included a custom modified ddraw.ini. In that case, overwriting it with sfall's vanilla ddraw.ini will be likely break your game. Instead, only overwrite ddraw.dll, and keep the mod's existing copy of ddraw.ini. (Or, if you know what you're doing, you can merge them together by hand.)

In the Sfall 4.3.3 zip file there are 7 files and 2 folders
I took these files and folders to overwrite my game's directory files and folders that have the same name. EXCEPT FOR THE DDRAW.INI

Folders:
translations <----
data <----

Files:
sfall-readme.txt <----
sfall-mods.ini <----
sfall.dat <----
license.txt <----
FAQ.txt <----
ddraw.ini
ddraw.dll <----

I think overwriting sfall-mods.ini may do something wrong or perhaps overwriting everything besides ddraw.ini is what has been causing my issue. Perhaps I miss read the readme, was only to overwrite the ddraw.dll.

I will back up my save files, game directory, and do three experiments.

>Re-install RPU hoping it will overwrite all Sfall files. While making sure my other mod files are not affected by Sfall 4.3.3.

>Clean out my Fallout 2 Folder reinstalling all the mods and only overwriting ddraw.dll from this Sfall.

>Clean out my Fallout 2 Folder reinstall all the mods and not install the newest Sfall.

I will make a post to give an update on my experiments.

So it worked! I got my game working again! Now the prostitutes and other NPCs don't crash my game when they use Jet or any other items! Here's how it goes

Before I tried any of these options I backed up my entire game directory and saves.
The first experiment to >Re-install RPU hoping it will overwrite all Sfall files. While making sure my other mod files are not affected by Sfall 4.3.3. and did not work. I tried to use the RPU zip file and tried to transfer all it's files that it had to overwrite the ones Sfall 4.3.3 had. It didn't help because I still got those crashes from the same NPC actions.

So Instead of trying experiments:

>Clean out my Fallout 2 Folder reinstalling all the mods and only overwriting ddraw.dll from this Sfall.

>Clean out my Fallout 2 Folder reinstall all the mods and not install the newest Sfall.

• First I un-installed and re-installed my game.
  • Next, I re-installed RPU and luckily for me all my mods and their edited .ini files were kept as they were.
  • Then, I tried to launch the game but I kept getting an error when I launch the game. An error saying something about my screen resolution. I figured this had to do something about res_config, so I edited my screen resolution through the .exe application. I had another issue about "Failure initializing input devices" so I fixed that issue. I loaded up my game without any files in Sfall 4.3.3., I still had the bug of having no audio when reloading a save game but the game seemed to be functional nonetheless. I wasn't going to give up that Sfall audio fix without a fight! So....P.S. What I did is down below \/ x)
  • Finally, I took the Sfall 4.3.3. zip and read the readme.txt that comes with it. At this point, I ONLY OVERWROTE THE FALLOUT 2 DDRAW.DLL WITH THE ONE SFALL 4.3.3. CAME WITH. Leaving the other Sfall 4.3.3. files in the zip WHERE THEY BELONG.
  • After I started up my game, I had the High-Resolution patchworking, as shown by the screen preferences option in the main menu, I got a message saying that I need to change AllowUnsafeScripting= to AllowUnsafeScripting=1. So exiting the game and doing that the inventory filter mod started working again.
  • Now the tests!! I fought and killed prostitutes in Second Street, New Reno. One of them used a Jet.... With no crashes! Hooray! When I finished killing them all and the pimp, I reloaded my save that was before the fight 3 more times just to be sure it works. And it did, I went to Virgin Street, New Reno did one fight there. The prostitute uses Jet and no crash, but I was still skeptical. So I exited the game to the main menu and did the same thing in Second Street, New Reno the battle goes through, and no memory error crash. Exited the game again but this time instead of loading from the main menu I exited the game completely to the Steam Library. I launch my game and load up my game, skip the intro, I loaded the save, initiate the fight in Second Street, and BOOM! N O M E M O R Y C R A S H E S
It seems now that I fixed my game and solved that memory crash issue. I did some more tests, by bartering, sneaking/stealing, talking to NPCs with dialogue above their heads, in the dialogue menu with or without talking heads, Companion inventory training, I even stole everything from New Reno Arms (even the Guns n' Bullets magazine that his guard dog blocks) lol and got free weapon upgrades from Algernon with NO combat initiation. Sneak skill for the win! So I played for a couple of hours and everything was fine. So it seems my technique worked!

For anyone who uses RPU and wants to use the latest Sfall, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT take every file from the Sfall zip and overwrite all those files in your Fallout 2 folder. ONLY TAKE THE DDRAW.DLL and let it overwrite the DDRAW.DLL in the Fallout 2 folder to get it to work with RPU!

Nonetheless, one thing to note

1. Whenever I launch Fallout 2 I still get asked if I want to use Sfall's new High-Resolution option and disable Mash's High-Resolution option. I was wondering if there's an option to disable this message every time I launch the game. As I always have to click decline to use the Sfall High-Resolution option to use Mash's High-Resolution option. Was wondering if there was a way to disable this message so it doesn't become a nuisance or if I accidentally click it when it shows up launching Fallout 2 from Steam. @NovaRain

Last edited:
Was wondering if there was a way to disable this message so it doesn't become a nuisance or if I accidentally click it when it shows up launching Fallout 2 from Steam.
The message DID mention how to disable the pop-up message if you don't want to use the built-in HRP. Check the ddraw.ini included in the release.
Pop-up message said:
This version of sfall has its own integrated High Resolution Patch mode, which is compatible with the settings of the High Resolution Patch by Mash.
If you want to continue using the Hi-Res Patch by Mash without seeing this message, disable the 'HiResMode' option in ddraw.ini.

Last edited:
The message DID mention how to disable the pop-up message if you don't want to use the built-in HRP. Check the ddraw.ini included in the release.
The problem is I can't find HiResMode in my ddraw.ini. Here take a look at my ddraw.ini

I use Notepad++ when editing and finding stuff in .ini files. Using the search option in Notepad++ I could not find it.

Attachments

Because that's a new option added in 4.3.3, that's why I said "check the ddraw.ini included in the release".
Ahhh I'm only using the ddraw.dll from the newest release since I use RPU. I read in the readme having a newer ddraw.ini overwrite the one that RPU has customized will "break it" unless I can copy/paste the code from the newest ddraw.ini and paste the text in the one RPU uses? Is that possible?

I just tested it again with the sawed-off shotgun on Cassidy (changing its ground frm from rifle to pistol).
The script only works when you enter an unvisited map.
Yeah, I've confirmed on my end that the script works. Strange that there are no debug.log entries, but it works.

Do you know if it is a known bug on sfall 4.3.3 that the "give all" button is missing it's artwork on the steal screen? The button has the correct art when interacting with containers, but not when stealing (from a companion, for example). It's just a gray vector object.

Do you know if it is a known bug on sfall 4.3.3 that the "give all" button is missing it's artwork on the steal screen? The button has the correct art when interacting with containers, but not when stealing (from a companion, for example). It's just a gray vector object.
It has nothing to do with sfall 4.3.3. Check if giveall_dn/up.pcx are in your PCX\InvFilterArt.

Ahhh I'm only using the ddraw.dll from the newest release since I use RPU. I read in the readme having a newer ddraw.ini overwrite the one that RPU has customized will "break it" unless I can copy/paste the code from the newest ddraw.ini and paste the text in the one RPU uses? Is that possible?

Well, it worked! I was able to copy the code that disables the pop-up menu asking if I want to use the built-in Hi-Res Patch from Sfall 4.3.3. from it's 4.3.3. ddraw.ini. And pasted it into 4.3.2. ddraw.ini under the [Main] title of the 4.3.2 ddraw.ini

Image of where I pasted it below. \/\/

Attachments

• Screenshot (1191).png
    Screenshot (1191).png
    134.5 KB · Views: 247
It has nothing to do with sfall 4.3.3. Check if giveall_dn/up.pcx are in your PCX\InvFilterArt.
Negative, it is not. F2-InventoryFilter v2.0.0.exe does not extract these files. I'll use the dropall_dn/up.PCXs in place of giveall.

edit: posted an issue on the mod's github page. from browsing source, it looks as if there's no giveall english PCXs, so it is likely a known issue.

edit2: strange, Mr. Stalin's github for inventory filter was set to private after I posted the issue.

Last edited:
Currently HRP's in-game setting menu and the fog of war feature are not implemented yet.
This is definitely needed for ease of use.
One other thing I'd like to see:
The original hi-res mod had a setting that changed the maximum pathfinding range, and the menu had a slider to turn it up or down. I couldn't figure out how to change this in the config file, and if it hasn't been implemented yet, I hope there are plans to include it :)

Otherwise, this hi-res mod is something of an improvement, except (at least in Yesterday mod R4.2) for the filter that I can't figure out how to turn off. But maybe that's specific to Yesterday.
One thing this hi-res version fixed is whenever I alt-tab out of windowed fullscreen mode during a dialogue, then tab back, the screen is no longer covered by black. In the original hi-res mod would fill everything but the talking head with black, and I'd have to either hit the Review button, or take my mouse arrow and slowly clear it out like it's mspaint.
(I may have drawn a few penises when clearing this :P)

The original hi-res mod had a setting that changed the maximum pathfinding range, and the menu had a slider to turn it up or down. I couldn't figure out how to change this in the config file, and if it hasn't been implemented yet, I hope there are plans to include it :)
You didn't see the NumPathNodes option in f2_res.ini?

sfall 4.3.3.1 and 3.8.33.1 are released on SourceForge. They are maintenance releases for the previous version.
Changelog said:
v4.3.3.1
>HRP: Fixed a possible crash in combat when enabling EXTRA_WIN_MSG_CHECKS
>HRP: Fixed broke console messages when enabling ConsoleOutputPath
>HRP: Fixed the main menu still being stretched when setting MAIN_MENU_SIZE=0
>Fixed a bug introduced in 4.3.1 that caused the game to print an incorrect item name in some cases
>Fixed screenshots for DX9 graphics modes. Now the screenshots are saved in PNG format when in DX9 mode
>Improved the functionality of AllowDShowMovies. Now you can take screenshots and press any key to skip AVI movies
>Added a tweak to prevent 'Failure initializing input devices' error for built-in HRP/DX9 windowed mode

Hello, there I have this bug that occurs randomly when I throw explosives on an empty hex I get this error. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

So in this save file I first threw flares at some of the band of rogue members. Next, I threw a Frag Grenade directly at a rogue exhausting all my APs ending my turn. (Turn passes and other NPCs use their turns)

(My turn arrives)
When my turn arrived again I first threw a Frag Grenade directly at a rogue. Next, another at the ground next to two rogues which caused this error to appear only AFTER throwing the last Frag Grenade I mentioned to a ground hex next to two raiders. As you can see in the screenshot where the "aim" cursor is placed. Is where I threw the Frag Grenade on the ground.

Mods:
- RPU 26.0
- Inventory Filter 2.0.
- FO2 tweaks mod 12.9.
- RPU Talking Heads Addon 1.9
- Sfall 4.3.3.1 (Using the Hi_res config setting, not the included HD option sfall offers. gl_highlight.int is removed from scripts folder for a FO2tweaks function.)

My Save Slot can only be downloaded by a Mega link since NMA says it's to big to upload (4.3 MB) But my FO2tweaks.ini file is in the post though. I also will include my sfall.ini, sfall.dll, and sfallmods.ini just in case of anything.

SAVE SLOT 759 https://mega.nz/file/glYQ1CjT#MERblBPbM9pcBuPaxKoRrfH7bODc1LDPqyX9oigdNVo
Save file titled "band of rogues"

If there is anything more to include for a proper investigation on your part please let me know.
Thanks,

EDIT: Changed my RPUv to the correct version, at the time of this bug I was using RPUv.26

Screenshot (1230).png

Attachments

Last edited:
@burn see above. it wasn’t my mod causing the crash, it’s generalized behavior. Your test scenario didn’t capture it because, I’m guessing, a series of memory-manipulating actions needs to pile up before this component triggers a crash.

@burn see above. it wasn’t my mod causing the crash, it’s generalized behavior. Your test scenario didn’t capture it because, I’m guessing, a series of memory-manipulating actions needs to pile up before this component triggers a crash.

You've also had these crashes too? Well, I guess I also have to ask where were you pointing that out when a prostitute in New Reno was crashing my game a on Jan. 30th? lol
Not that I'm throwing dirt at you with that last sentence you could've been busy or missed my post. How long have you been having these issues? It's good to know someone has been having similar crashes. Even when I fixed my bug relating to the prostitute or NPC crashing the game using the wrong item name. I still get this occasional explosive thrown on empty hex bug, sometimes it crashes for me and sometimes it doesn't. =/

Nonetheless, if @NovaRain or @burn decide to re-read my edited post about the thrown explosive bug. They're more than happy and welcome to try to fix and I would appreciate their time to do so =)

(I edited my bug report post and this post for more clarity.)

Last edited:
Back