Fallout 2 mod FO2 Engine Tweaks (Sfall)

Did anybody notice that in DX9 mode there is a black screen whenever entering help screen until you move a mouse?
Is there any way to change this or it is as it must be?

Please could a couple of people give something a brief test for me. If you grab this, it contains a new fallout 2 exe. Copy it into a fallout install, (back up the old one first!) and see if you can still launch/load/save/run around a bit. I just want to make sure that everything's built properly, and that it runs for anyone other than me; there's no specific features in there to test. It's not compatible with sfall or the res patch unfortunately, so I've included a mini-sfall version that forces it into a dx9 window to prevent graphics problems. (so back up the old ddraw.dll too!) Since it wont work with the real sfall, the RP/unofficial patch/other sfall-using mod wont work with it properly. You may or may not still be able to get in game, but don't go around saving over your old save games. (Actually, don't go saving over your old save games regardless. :P)

Mad Ivan said:
Did anybody notice that in DX9 mode there is a black screen whenever entering help screen until you move a mouse?
Is there any way to change this or it is as it must be?
Yes, I've noticed that. I can't say I use the help screen often enough to want to look into it though.

Timeslip said:
see if you can still launch/load/save/run around a bit.
Did a quick test. I can launch the game (RP 2.1.2b), run around, save/load a new save game, and even start a combat. But I can't talk to Klint, don't know if it's normal. :oops:

My OS is Win7 Ultimate x64 (English w/ MUI).

EDIT: Another quick test, loaded an old save and can talk to NPCs.

Tried it quickly in a clean install (official v1.02)and apparently everything is normal. New game, load, save, combat, dialog, death, ...

Thanks.

pelicano said:
and apparently everything is normal.
Yay, that's promising. :)

NovaRain said:
But I can't talk to Klint, don't know if it's normal.
But that's not. Odd though; I can speak to him fine on both a new game and after loading.

That exe had a few one liner fixes (sharpshooter, ereg, city limits,) the critical table fixes and one extra script opcode, which was mostly copy/pasted anyway. I didn't touch anything to do with dialog. :| I blame it on quantum weirdness.

I'll grab the modified .exe in the morning and test it as extensively as 1 hour of time will permit :)

Now for a question Timeslip: are you actually modifying fallout2.exe in assembly? :shock:

I am more interested in why you are editing the exe file directly? :> You have anything new in mind / want to change something else?

Ghouly89 said:
Now for a question Timeslip: are you actually modifying fallout2.exe in assembly? :shock:
Hmm? What else would I be doing? :look: :whistle:

Lexx said:
I am more interested in why you are editing the exe file directly? :> You have anything new in mind / want to change something else?
Not particularly. This was just a little test to check it worked. Actually thinking of something useful to do doesn't come till stage 3. :P

There's some situations where sfall isn't really viable though, (other platforms, VMs,) so it might be useful for that sort of situation.

..just another quick test on WinXP:
On a clean install (v1.0 US) I ran only your executable file, without an additional dynamic library provided in the archive.
Klint's dialogue and some quick fight worked fine, also a save/load functions seems to be working.

Timeslip said:
Ghouly89 said:
Hmm? What else would I be doing? :look: :whistle:

I know, a dumb question because I knew the answer before asking it... :oops:

I envy you and your exceptionally superior programming skills :) Assembly is beyond my reach, considering you're just working with individual bytes and their positions... and that's about it :shock:

Did you learn to program assembly through school or independent research?

Ghouly89 said:
I know, a dumb question because I knew the answer before asking it... :oops:
Not quite the effect I was going for... This forum obviously needs a more shifty looking shifty eyed emoticon. :P

Still not far off though. I imagine someone poking my exe in ida will spot what I did pretty quickly.

Ghouly89 said:
Did you learn to program assembly through school or independent research?
Self taught. It's pretty hard to find university computing courses around here that teach anything other than java these days.

I have two questions.

1. Can we get colored lighting effects in Fallout 2 similar to those in FOnline? Right now, we only have white light.

2. Can we have in-game movies which aren't restricted to 256 colors? It's really hard (impossible) to find a movie editing software which produces 256-colored movies.

Fallout1FTW said:
1. Can we get colored lighting effects in Fallout 2 similar to those in FOnline? Right now, we only have white light.
Difficult to do well with the limited palette, but I remember someone talking about it before... Can't remember what was said though.

Fallout1FTW said:
2. Can we have in-game movies which aren't restricted to 256 colors? It's really hard (impossible) to find a movie editing software which produces 256-colored movies.
Already in.

Oh man, it would be really great if it is an Engine Remake for various platforms like Android or the PSP :D

nwm2hu.jpg

Care to spill the beans, Timeslip? :wink:

HOLY S....
Fallout 2 using SDL engine? Awesome, there's already Android port of SDL, there's guy who ported few PC games to Android using SDL, so I am definitely waiting for this one Timeslip!!

So if it's true about the SDL engine part, what can be done with it when finished besides porting it.

Would it be easier to mod?

Back