General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Borderlands is fun as hell if you don't fucking play it for 20 hours straight like some sort of cave troll.

Hoxie said:
Astiaks said:
Playing F.E.A.R 2 right now. So far i must say that it's not even as half a good as the original game.

I agree entirely.

The main problem I had in F.E.A.R. 2 was just that all the freaky things that happen, are either blatantly unmissable or are just scripted scenes. One of the best things on the original, was that the creepy and weird happenings would trigger whether you were paying attention or not.

That and besides, the game is a tad cheesy. It's as if it is trying to tell you: "HEY! LOOK! remember how cool the first game was? here is some MOAR!"

Dopemine Cleric said:
Borderlands is fun as hell if you don't fucking play it for 20 hours straight like some sort of cave troll.

Meh, I never got the appeal of games that are designed basically to kill your free time. I like games that offer a little more than staring at the screen and clicking LMB. A good game is the one that makes you WANT to keep playing like a cave troll. Borderlands isn't one of 'em.

Playing King's Bounty Armored Princess, it's somehow challenging on hard/impossible difficulty which is nice and rarely encountered nowadays. Overall pretty solid game, slight improvemnet over KBTL

C&C: Generals, Tiberian Sun, and Red Alert 2.

I'd forgotten how hard the AI was in Tiberian Sun/RA2.

Tiberian Sun's AI on the easiest setting is comparable to Generals AI on hard.

Ausdoerrt said:
Dopemine Cleric said:

Meh, I never got the appeal of games that are designed basically to kill your free time. I like games that offer a little more than staring at the screen and clicking LMB. A good game is the one that makes you WANT to keep playing like a cave troll. Borderlands isn't one of 'em.

I agree. I didn't manage to play it for more than 1 hour straight.

I've been playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl a lot lately with friends. Mostly while being intoxicated, which is the only right way to play the game.

New Super Mario Brothers Wii.

Plants vs. Zombies.

Assassins Creed 2.

1 vs. 100.

Trying to motivate self to play more L4D2... failing...

Can't wait until the new graphics card and RAM come in the mail. FINALLY, PC GAMING.

20p358k.jpg

A pretty awesome puzzle game for the PSP. You essentially carve out an underground labyrinth. Certain rocks contain nutrients which spawn little jelly monsters and from there you evolve your creatures into more powerful monsters which protect your dungeon.
Eventually heroes will come into your dungeon and come after Badman who you strategically hide somewhere in your dungeon. You use different combos to repel different threats of heroes, it has a pretty steep learning curve and I suck at the moment but I am still having great fun with it.

Badman's comments and the Almanac which contains a description of all the monsters and heroes you encounter are pretty funny as well. The game pokes fun at its self and RPG/JRPG stereotypes in general.

Just beat Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, though the crappy used copy froze halfway through the cut-scene before the final fight and the save starts you after the cut-scene. Had to go to Youtube to watch it but I'm gonna go swap it for a copy that it's bogus tomorrow. Fun game, I really enjoyed the platforming and the puzzles were fun despite being too easy (the story of platforming puzzles). On the downside, the combat is far too repetitive and is a yawn after awhile, the final boss was a joke, and 8 hours is pretty short (though really not that bad for an action game), and I felt I was going slow. Also hate a lack of level select mode once you beat it. All in all, 75% game for the enjoyable platforming and humorous dialogue.

Moving on to Shadow of the Colossus next, another quick game from what I hear. I'm not at all keen on collecting all of the crap for upping life and stamina, it's just work (not fun and eats up time).

Also going to get started on NWN2: Storm of Zehir here soon.

Day of Defeat, Team Fortress 2, also taking Mask of The Betrayer for a second spin (i'm rolling a chaotic evil priest of Talos :twisted: ).

I've been playing Gyromancer. The thing's ridiculously addictive, even if it isn't nearly as good as, say, Puzzle Quest.

When I first heard about Baldur's Gate I wanted to play it. When I saw it listed for awards I had to play it. However at the moment it was easily available I had always bought other RPG's or found BG to not be in stock. So now in 2010 I received it by mail from Amazon.com. It cost me $20 for BG 1+2 with expansions for both games. I'm very lucky it hasn't become a collectors item yet, but apparently that collection was semi-recent.

So I'm about fifteen hours into it and loving it. Large world, very non-linear, and with anything and everything from D&D in it. Monsters, Equipment, Magic, etc. That's great not only, because it provides a huge amount of material, but it's all very well-created. I'm super-impressed.

In fact I think it's safe to say this will be a classic game in my eyes once I'm done with it. It does what every other classic game does for me which is to be incredible in every conceivable way yet not perfect due to a single glaring error. In Fallout it was the short play hours. In Arcanum it was the bugs. In Baldur's Gate it's the difficulty! It seems like one out of every two battles I have to load my game due to one or two of my characters getting killed. I also don't expect this to go away with levels since I've noticed the number of enemies increases as my levels/party members increase.

Any suggestions that won't spoil the story would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Playing Borderlands now, lvl 23 so far and it becomes repetitive.

The Vault Dweller said:
In Baldur's Gate it's the difficulty! It seems like one out of every two battles I have to load my game due to one or two of my characters getting killed. ...
Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Beginning of BG 1 is pain in the ass with mages having 4HP or so and getting one shot kills frome wolves. Well, hit and run tactic maybe is not the most fun but it is applicable :) Later on it becomes easier

Return To Castle Wolfenstein for the first time.

Shooting Nazis is awesome, but the gun sound effects are a turn off. MG-42 doesn't sound even remotely like that!

The Vault Dweller said:
In Baldur's Gate it's the difficulty! It seems like one out of every two battles I have to load my game due to one or two of my characters getting killed. I also don't expect this to go away with levels since I've noticed the number of enemies increases as my levels/party members increase.

Any suggestions that won't spoil the story would be appreciated.

the answer is simple: powergaming! BG games are easy enough if you only know how to get the most out of your group. and this ranges from simple things such as making sure you get max hp when you level up, picking the strongest npc's to join you and using cheesy tactics in combat. I can't really go into specifics though, you'll have to do some research and learn with experience. I know this is pretty general advice, but it's really all there is to it.

Okay I just became level 3 and have access to hold person. I swear one use of that in a battle against anything that it works against is an auto-win and that's even if it only effects one target...sometimes I get the whole enemy party. Scary.

By the way I'm playing a Male Half-Elf Cleric Neutral Good.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Back