General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

I am playing FF VIII right now too haha installed it the day before yesterday.
Apart from that I am spending my time with EU3 Heir to the Throne. I decided to give some random countries a try, like Serbia and Japan. And I am playing

Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday - Armageddon.
Still an awesome game and much better than Hearts of Iron 3 in my opinion. Just started a new campaign as Nationalist China. Exterminated the cave-dwelling communists, routed out the warlords and Japanese forces in the borderlands and negotiated an alliance with the European Axis and Japan (no more slavery and oppression for the Chinese people! :D). Currently erecting a new Chinese wall around the country to keep out the Soviets in 1941 and southwestern defensive lines (against the British in India) were already created when Hitler attacked the Allies in 1939. ;) Also, my Nazi-China is forerunner when it comes to nuclear and rocketry science. :P

Penumbra:Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and the third installment (I forget what it's called because I haven't gotten that far yet).

Really solid games. I have a few, mostly minor criticisms, but overall I'm enjoying these very much. The puzzles are reminiscent of old Infocom text adventures despite the FPP 3D.

Joylessly trudging through FF8. This has to be my sixth or seventh attempted playthrough, and I'm not putting it down until I beat this damned thing.

I discovered a super easy way to break the game, which involves refining cards you can win straight from the get-go. This resulted in Squall having 3.3k HP and hitting for 1-1.5k before I even took the SeeD exam.

Yeah...never finished that game either, though I think I almost reached the final boss. Don't the enemies automatically adapt to your characters' stats, though? So there's not much point in pumping stats early on.

Also playing Jagged Alliance 2, have two separate installs for STOMP + HAM 3.5 + WF + AIM and second for JA2 Renegade Republic.
Thou I have to say STOMP + HAM 3.5 + WF + AIM has blown me away. The WF maps and mercs are nice addition if you have beaten JA2 to death over hundred times. On the bright side I managed to recreate Drassen counter attack when attacking most cities. Changed settings so that minimum enemy squad is 24 max 40 and allowed enemy ti investigate nearby sectors also calling reinforcements from neighboring sectors. End result went into Alma with my 1 INP at early morning and finished real time around 5 hours later. I honestly didn't count to that all Almas neighboring sectors had enemies in it. Thus when certain amount of enemies was killed the got reinforced until they ran out of troops. But man that was a long intense fight. got around 250 kills there. But the loot was good, few hi-tech weapons and few with aiming modules. Combining items is the second thing I love about this mod. It brings in the Diablo loot factor, when enemy might drop a weapon with aiming module or scope+reflex sight combo. Its like a whole new game so even if JA3 will be flop JA2 STOMP + HAM 3.5 + WF + AIM will serve my needs. :)

link http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240116#Post240116

fedaykin said:
Yeah...never finished that game either, though I think I almost reached the final boss. Don't the enemies automatically adapt to your characters' stats, though? So there's not much point in pumping stats early on.

They scale with your level, not your stats. What you do is card mod Abyss Worm cards into Tornado, put that on everyone's attack; and then card mod Mesmerise cards into Curaga, and put that on everyone's HP. You can win both of those cards from most everyone in Balamb Garden.

Then you go take your SeeD exam, beat it, and get the Magic Lamp from Cid; use it to summon Diablos, kill him, and then learn Encounters : Half and then Encounters : None, so you never have any more random encounters.

Since bosses don't give experience, only AP; your only source of experience will be scripted fights (which are rare), so you'll be permanently low-level with insane HP/Damage through the entire game. The end result is you being completely unkillable, and able to kill every non-boss enemy in one hit, and every boss in 1-4 pretty much from the get-go.

Ooh may give that a try. My Steam version of Half Life is linked to my bro's account so I'll need to dig out my old CD version.

GreyViper said:
Also playing Jagged Alliance 2, have two separate installs for STOMP + HAM 3.5 + WF + AIM and second for JA2 Renegade Republic.
Thou I have to say STOMP + HAM 3.5 + WF + AIM has blown me away. The WF maps and mercs are nice addition if you have beaten JA2 to death over hundred times. On the bright side I managed to recreate Drassen counter attack when attacking most cities. Changed settings so that minimum enemy squad is 24 max 40 and allowed enemy ti investigate nearby sectors also calling reinforcements from neighboring sectors. End result went into Alma with my 1 INP at early morning and finished real time around 5 hours later. I honestly didn't count to that all Almas neighboring sectors had enemies in it. Thus when certain amount of enemies was killed the got reinforced until they ran out of troops. But man that was a long intense fight. got around 250 kills there. But the loot was good, few hi-tech weapons and few with aiming modules. Combining items is the second thing I love about this mod. It brings in the Diablo loot factor, when enemy might drop a weapon with aiming module or scope+reflex sight combo. Its like a whole new game so even if JA3 will be flop JA2 STOMP + HAM 3.5 + WF + AIM will serve my needs. :)

link http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240116#Post240116

I'm a bit sceptic about healing and stuff though.
Thing is healing takes ages so in Expert mode I end up saving/loading a LOT to keep my mercs healthy because things get messy if one loose like 50% of his health you have to wait like 2 days for him to heal back to 100%.
I mean, it's not like you can totally avoid being hit by playing *secure*, these motherfuckers always manage to hit you in the most impossible situations.
So, what's your way of managing health ?

Arr0nax said:
Either play a night ops stealth game or have several teams, alternate resting one while the other advances. Or you know just wait the several days this is not a rush rush type of game.

I'm replaying Dead Rising. The game's graphics are a bit primitive compared to nowadays (faces especially), but it's still pretty admirable that they could cram that many zombies on the screen. And it's fun running about throwing lead pipes at zombies.

requiem_for_a_starfury said:
Arr0nax said:
Either play a night ops stealth game or have several teams, alternate resting one while the other advances. Or you know just wait the several days this is not a rush rush type of game.

You're right about the alternate teams. I guess I'm just starting to get enough money to have two alternative teams (~16000$/day). This was out of the question until now.

That leads me to a question about the stealth part.
Is silent killing possible ? I didn't encounter any means of silencing ranged weapons. And melee attacks seem out of the question since I can't "stealthily" approach someone to melee range.
Because, yes I'm starting to enjoy the night goggles + extended hearing + sniper that basically allow me to kill anyone by night without being shot at, but that's not that "stealthy".

EDIT : Oh, I'm such a noob. I just googled a little and discovered the part where you can "create a merc that represent you".
This game is so full of surprises.

Playing Dragon Age: Origins. Not bad but still nothing special. I guess i'll have to wait for The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings.

Back