General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

I found a cheap used copy of FF 12, so I decided to try it, I didn't play that one back in the day and soem peopel told me its a good game.

Well, it isn't at least the first two hours aren't, the combat system is a pile of horeshit, really, the real time element has no point at all, I attack a wolf, the wolf uses bite, I gt away from it to avoid his short range attack, it still hits me, pychic powers?, I basicaly just have to choose one action and not press a single button until my hp is low, i justwatch the borefest that is every battle, there is a cutscene every 5 minutes, the license system is stupid, I need a license to waer a cotton shirt or to wield a dagger? I understand using a class system for Habilites, spells and skills, but equipment? and its not a license for a kind of equipment, but for specific pieces and items, If I get an assasin's dagger I cannot wield it, even when I can wield a normal dagger, Why? it doesn't make sense as an abstarction of relaity, wich is what RPG mechancis are supposed to be, and well, the story seems very generic, It has tons of eye candy tho. I am gonna keep playing it until I can't handle it anymore, like with "Odin SPhere" AKA Sidescroller Tech Demo, or maybe it will surprise me and get good? anyoen here has played it? does it get better? does the combat get better?

WelcomeToNewReno said:
I might get Sims 3 tomorrow. Does anyone have it? Is it good?

I may be biased because I have a lot of Sims stuff, heck I even actually buy some of the stuff packs.
Yea it's a pretty fun game and a great timesink. Though to get maximum enjoyment you'll need some of the expansion packs like Late Night and Ambitions.

Is it only me who thinks that The Sims 3 just isn't so...simish? Not like the second one, anyhow.
I don't get that feeling when playing it, which I get when playing previous games. Hard to explain. It isn't wacky enough, I think. Maybe too serious, if you can say that for a Sims game.

I enjoyed the first FEAR and its expansions very much, I love the shooting mechanics, enemy AI, weapons, atmosphere,...

I never really paid much attention to the story or to the horror parts because they are indeed mediocre at best.

I didn't like FEAR2 at all and since the 3rd game seems to be following the same direction I think I will give it a miss.

Alice madness returns. I'm in love again

How is it, BTW? I was meaning to ask, cause I never got to playing the first, but the concept intrigues me. On the other hand, lots of reviews bash it for poor gameplay...

The easiest way to answer that question would be to compare it favourably with the first game but since you haven't played it that's out of the question:)

I love the art style, creatures, music, story and general atmosphere.

I also like the fact that there is actually some strategy involved, certain enemies require certain weapons or are only vulnerable in specific spots etc.

Health also does not regenerate which is a welcome change from most modern 'action' games.

The game also seems to be pretty long, I am about halfway through and have been playing over 7 hours.

The gameplay mechanics are not stellar (controls could be a bit more precise) by any means but they are more than adequate IMO. I'm not sure how it plays with kb/ mouse as I prefer to use a gamepad for this type of game.

The only things that somewhat bother me are the clunky checkpoint system which sometimes forces you to replay only the last 10 seconds of the level and other times for no apparent reason puts you back at the start of a level and the wonky targeting system.

Atomkilla said:
Is it only me who thinks that The Sims 3 just isn't so...simish? Not like the second one, anyhow.
I don't get that feeling when playing it, which I get when playing previous games. Hard to explain. It isn't wacky enough, I think. Maybe too serious, if you can say that for a Sims game.

Your right, it does feel different. Most people have a problem that it's more goal orientated than Sims 2. Instead of making a family for the giggles, you make a family tailored to be good at the jobs you want them to have.
It does feel less wacky but the expansion packs have gone a long way to fix this, even if it is unintentional, like when a Late Night vampire sim forgets s/he dies in sunlight and ends up causing nearby sims to throw up because s/he's decomposing on the pavement.

I always used to like trapping the mailman and the grim reaper in the same house together in the first Sims. It made for a lot of wacky hijinks, and when things got dull I added a genie to the mix.

Edit: A lot of my experiments ended with my sims committing suicide via indoor fireworks machine. I'm a cruel person.

PainlessDocM said:
The only things that somewhat bother me are the clunky checkpoint system which sometimes forces you to replay only the last 10 seconds of the level and other times for no apparent reason puts you back at the start of a level and the wonky targeting system.

So, another one out of my list.

I made a promisse to myself since the first Aliens versus Predator from Rebellion's in the late 90's: if a game don't allow savegames, I don't play it.
It's offensive being in a PC and need to resort on checkpoints.

The same goes to games not allowing key configuration, like Dead Space.
But this wasn't really too hard to skip, since the game is boring.

Right now I'm playing Terraria. It's a bit like 2D Minecraft but I think I like it even more than it's 3D counterpart.

I made a promisse to myself since the first Aliens versus Predator from Rebellion's in the late 90's: if a game don't allow savegames, I don't play it.
It's offensive being in a PC and need to resort on checkpoints.

That's kind of... unreasonable? You're basically skipping on all of the traditional console game genres (like JRPG or hack'n'slash action, which pretty much never have quick-saves and are designed to be played without them). Your choice though. Now excuse me while I go enjoy myself playing Devil May Cry 4 - another great game that you'll never play.

Ausdoerrt said:
Alice madness returns. I'm in love again

How is it, BTW? I was meaning to ask, cause I never got to playing the first, but the concept intrigues me. On the other hand, lots of reviews bash it for poor gameplay...

Play the first game, you'll probably love it.

If you really enjoy the first, you'll like the second. If you don't like the first one, the sequel will do absolutely nothing for you.

Is the sequel a direct continuation of the original story, i.e. is it necessary to play the first to enjoy the second?

I found a cheap used copy of FF 12, so I decided to try it, I didn't play that one back in the day and soem peopel told me its a good game.

Well, it isn't at least the first two hours aren't, the combat system is a pile of horeshit, really, the real time element has no point at all, I attack a wolf, the wolf uses bite, I gt away from it to avoid his short range attack, it still hits me, pychic powers?, I basicaly just have to choose one action and not press a single button until my hp is low, i justwatch the borefest that is every battle, there is a cutscene every 5 minutes, the license system is stupid, I need a license to waer a cotton shirt or to wield a dagger? I understand using a class system for Habilites, spells and skills, but equipment? and its not a license for a kind of equipment, but for specific pieces and items, If I get an assasin's dagger I cannot wield it, even when I can wield a normal dagger, Why? it doesn't make sense as an abstarction of relaity, wich is what RPG mechancis are supposed to be, and well, the story seems very generic, It has tons of eye candy tho.

Hey, I just started playing that too (was originally planning to try FFX but I can't figure out how to get it past the first cutscene on PC without hanging).

One thing I do like about the game is the setting, I think Ivalice is probably the best setting ever created by FF games (followed by FFIII and FFIX), this is what FF should be - a wacky but colorful fantasy with crystals, chocobo riders, knights and mages, not some weird techno-magic cyber-punk-that-makes-no-sense hodgepodge. The various races is also a great idea. The soundtrack adds to my joy, as it constantly evokes pleasant memories of FFTA.

The battle system certainly doesn't deliver what it seems to promise, it's still fully turnbased. I do appreciate them finally doing away with the distinction between exploration and battle modes one thin I always hated about FF is having to sit and watch a 15-second transition animation to fight a 5-second random encounter. Here you don't have to, and can even choose which enemies you want to fight and which to avoid. I like that a lot.

Biggest complaint thus far is the overly fast monster respawn, I'm afraid that the game'll get reeeally grindy later on.

Ausdoerrt said:
is it necessary to play the first to enjoy the second?

Nope, the story gets refreshed at the beginning of the second game.
Still if you manage to find a reasonably priced copy of Alice 1 you should definitely try it out. It still plays and looks great (Quake III engine)

Ea included the original game in 'HD' as a pre-order bonus but the only real differences I noticed were the ability to run the game at slightly higher resolutions and added gamepad support the downside is that it runs much slower than the original disc version of the game.

^ Doubt that - it looks like it's out of print. Amazon prices for it are above the new installment of the game already.

Maybe I'll just grab the legally-free Russian version, since its license there expired already.

DOn't you find the gameplay fo that game kidn of monotonous? I mean I have seen videos of the first 30 minutes or so of the game and the combat seems to be very monotonous pattern repeating on enemeis that take way too much hits to die. I fidn the shrinking mechanic pretty interesting but the plataforming itself is kind of monotonous.

Back