General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

I was gonna play some Portal 2 Coop, and soon remembered why I stopped playing, fuckign kids using cheat codes, what satsifaction is in beating a puzzle game using cheatcodes? I don't know if it's just bad luck but I already ran into 5 cheat code using idiots.

Alphadrop said:
Yea that's pretty much what I do. Sacrifice for da team! Even if does mean running at sentries a lot.
I'll get you eventually turret! :evil:

Meh, Pyro is probably the worst class to try and clean out turrets.

Ausdoerrt said:
Alphadrop said:
Yea that's pretty much what I do. Sacrifice for da team! Even if does mean running at sentries a lot.

Actually the flames are much more effective at destroying turrets than bullets, if you can sneak up to a turret outside of it's firing range then go for it. Pyros are the third best class for destroying buildings, after soldiers and spies.

Edit: By the way, if you unlock enough class specific achievements you get a new item for that class.

Edit: I also unlocked a nice hat that you can get by dominating someone who's wearing it.

Alice: Madness Returns. Great game. Maybe gameplay is weak, but the plot and atmosphere... awesome.

Just starting up Final Fantasy XII and I have a feeling I am in for quite a lengthy game. It's actually quite good so far, far from what I would have expected even.

Voron said:
Alice: Madness Returns. Great game. Maybe gameplay is weak, but the plot and atmosphere... awesome.
Sounds like American McGee's Alice 2 alright, the original had the same damn problem. I really want to play Madness Returns but knowing what I do I wouldn't put down $40 for it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the world, art direction, voice acting, and atmosphere of the first game, I just want some game for my money. $40 for a one time trip where half of the trip is mediocre at best isn't worth it for me.

mark520 said:
Just starting up Final Fantasy XII and I have a feeling I am in for quite a lengthy game. It's actually quite good so far, far from what I would have expected even.
Don't worry, 25 hours in you'll finally reach the end of the tutorial and be allowed to play the game properly. EDIT: Whoops, thought you said FFXIII, FFXII's only lasts for the first 5-10 hours.

Courier said:
Actually the flames are much more effective at destroying turrets than bullets, if you can sneak up to a turret outside of it's firing range then go for it. Pyros are the third best class for destroying buildings, after soldiers and spies.

Yeah I know that now. I think Pyro is slowly becoming one of my favorite classes. Especially great against not-so experienced people for the mental effect. The pyro+medic charge I just had to take out a checkpoint guarded by lvl3 turret and heavy and engineer with dispenser was epic. And that's without uber.

Some of the achievements are doable, others are pretty ridiculous. There's also the grindy ones, and every once in a while there'd be a few asses just grinding them near base instead of playing.

As for all the talk about how great and fair TF2's F2P scheme is, one word: CRATES. Just typical. Lucky boxes that take cash to open, with a small chance of having OP items among the junk.

Expect at least 50 hours out of it. That's if you ignore some side-quests and don't try to grind all characters to max level. I'm about 31 hour in with no end in sight, and some walkthroughs I've glanced at suggest I'm about halfway through. Taking a break though, because the long expedition from one town to another got just a biiit too tedious this time around, and I'd need lots of time to finish it in one sitting.

A lot of the criticism the game gets is completely undeserved. Not even on the scale of FFVIII bashing since at least that one is full of flaws, and it's a matter of taste to overlook them or not. FFXII thus far probably measures up to FFIII and FFIX in my book - except the story is serious. It's like they took the classical flashy FF setting and gave it a more engaging plot. And thankfully, none (or almost none) of the silly teenage drama, no characters looking like Asian punk-"culture" rejects (looking at you, FFX), and a world that actually makes sense unlike the majority of FF technomagic-style settings.

Anyhow, a word of advice: unless you wanna grind, pick 3 team members to stick with throughout (once you get everyone on board), and buy equips only for them. Otherwise, you're gonna run out of money. Unlike a lot of other FF games, you're not exactly swimming in cash in this one. Don't be afraid to take on difficult bosses/marks and try different stuff, but also don't bother with the ones clearly beyond your level. And don't forget to talk to Montblanc in the guild room - apparently he gives rewards for every new clan rank you get, as well as offers "special" hunts. I somehow managed to ignore him for the first 20 hours, I imagine the cash shortage wouldn't have been so severe if I hadn't.

Ausdoerrt said:
As for all the talk about how great and fair TF2's F2P scheme is, one word: CRATES. Just typical. Lucky boxes that take cash to open, with a small chance of having OP items among the junk.
I'll have you know that those are from before F2P and it fucking pissed me off then just like it fucking pisses me off now.

Ausdoerrt said:
A lot of the criticism the game gets is completely undeserved. Not even on the scale of FFVIII bashing since at least that one is full of flaws, and it's a matter of taste to overlook them or not.
Not really and even then it got praised to the moon by the press. The reasons why it sucks are as follows: It plays like a mediocre (at best) singleplayer MMO that wants to play itself (Gambits) but won't let you let it properly do so until you get pretty far into the game. The Gambit system effectively reduces the gameplay to setting up the gambits (which takes a fraction of the time that you will use them for), running around, and leveling up the characters. This effectively reduces the gameplay to a boring movie. The side content blows, especially the hunts, marks, and such. The "main character" was thrown in late in development because the marketing department didn't think that Bosch was appealing enough to the targeted Japanese audience, thus creating the worst FF character to date and his second worst character female companion (Penello). All of the characters end up effectively identical (and only about a third of the way through if you're playing as a completionist) due to a really crappy advancement system. The game isn't fully voice-acted.

All in all, it's my least favorite Final Fantasy game.

You forgot the license system, wich is bullshit.

I just got two crates, I am not spending money on a fake key to open a chest with random loot.

Not really and even then it got praised to the moon by the press.

Just goes to show that the FF series has some of the most unreasonable and annoying fans.

The reasons why it sucks are as follows: It plays like a mediocre (at best) singleplayer MMO that wants to play itself (Gambits) but won't let you let it properly do so until you get pretty far into the game. The Gambit system effectively reduces the gameplay to setting up the gambits (which takes a fraction of the time that you will use them for), running around, and leveling up the characters. This effectively reduces the gameplay to a boring movie.

Huh? Gambits are great because they make sure you don't have to pause every few seconds to select an action. It's more like RTWP but with smart AI than an MMO. You can set up a "self-playing" game with enough effort, of course, but it's entirely your choice to do so. Combat plays great with or without them. I only use gambits for healing and targeting, and do everything else by hand, and that works just fine for me. Your complaint is like saying "Oh combat in HOMMIII is so horrible and boring, I keep pressing Quick Battle/Auto Battle, and the game basically plays itself". Now, FFXII's gameplay is not perfect, but considering the alternatives... I rather prefer not to have my game interrupted every 5 seconds for a random battle, and like to have control over which enemies I fight, when and how. Plus, the game world is pretty much completely open past the intro, and if you never accidentally ran into an area/enemy that broke your invincibility bubble, then you were likely intentionally railroading yourself.

The side content blows, especially the hunts, marks, and such.

Huh again? What's wrong with challenging optional mini-bosses? I loved it in Last Remnant, and love it here. Makes you go out of your way and tweak your party up to the challenge. Also keeps you on your toes, since rares can spawn randomly when you're not ready at all. Or would you rather have it "play like a boring movie"? Oh wait :roll: Giggles aside, I think aside from the annoying weather system, that's about the best of side-content I've seen from an FF game. Masks the rails just enough, without being an annoyance like cards in FFVIII.

The "main character" was thrown in late in development because the marketing department didn't think that Bosch was appealing enough to the targeted Japanese audience, thus creating the worst FF character to date and his second worst character female companion (Penello).

From where I stand (30 hours in), the game is more story-focused than character-focused unlike most recent FF games. The lead may be weak, but he's not getting an unreasonable amount of screen time compared to the rest of the cast, and the cast isn't a collection of social misfits either. Plus, the story is actually pretty good and the world setting is coherent. And they were right, Basch wouldn't cut it as the lead, especially if they focused on his character. Also, it's debatable whether Vaan is actually a "lead", I could argue that Ashe is more of a lead than he is. Though I guess most fans dislike this because they want another angsty teenager Cloud-copycat and a story revolving around his tragic idiocy. An actual story? Preposterous!

All of the characters end up effectively identical (and only about a third of the way through if you're playing as a completionist) due to a really crappy advancement system.

If you grind your game to death then it's not the game's fault, and you're not playing it as intended. It's like playing FO:NV by shooting everything that moves. I'm bent on doing every side-quest (my definition of "completionist") and I think I'm past 1/3 point, and I haven't gotten even close to unlocking everyone's license boards. So the advancement system seems to work just fine. As for all characters being the same save special moves, well, I'm not surprised since that's what it was like in most FF games to begin with.

The game isn't fully voice-acted.

Doesn't bother me. I'd say quality over quantity. All of the main story line is fully voiced, and voicing all random shopkeepers or one-liner NPCs would've been a waste of time, money, and disk space. Since there isn't an "international" version, I have no idea how the original voices are, but the English dub is actually good for a change. Considering the horrors of, say, FFX dub I've seen on Youtube, perhaps less means better.

You forgot the license system, wich is bullshit.

It's basically a slightly improved copy of the sphere grid from FFX, and you don't see anyone complain about that one.

Courier said:
Ausdoerrt said:
Alphadrop said:

Yup, also I'm only two turrets off getting an achievie for it. Considering the flamethrower usually hits the nearby dispenser or teleporter and the unlucky engineer who didn't expect it you can rack up some tasty points if you dare.

I've been playing Alpha Protocol and I rather like it. Some of it's mechanics are a little clunky, but it does some other things really well. I'll probably replay it as soon as I finish, just to try doing it completely differently. Best $12 I've spend in a while.

At the moment i'm either playing L.A. Noire, Brink, or the New Vegas Dead Money DLC.

L.A. Noire: I find it to be a genuinely fun game, that plays the genre perfectly, often making me think back to the days of point and click games where you would search for hours on end to be able to combine two items with a slot on a wall which revealed a handle and so on. The characters are well written, and the story near flawless, I often find myself closing the curtains and turning of the lights while playing this game so I feel more like a detective.

Brink: Basically Team Fortress 2 with more customisation, a fun game to play with your friends, but after finishing both stories, there isn't much left to do, as the stories are hilariously short. All in all, enjoyable while it lasts.

Dead Money: Good, thats all I can say, good. I played Honest Hearts first, and Honest Hearts I believe is a lot more fun, and I prefer the setting and characters in Honest Hearts. I'm torn with the story though, as I like Siera Madre myth base-line, and Father Elijah as the main antagonist, which I preferred greatly over Salts-upon-Wounds. Dead Money feels more like an RPG DLC, as it affects your character greatly, whereas Honest Hearts didn't feel as personal.

Going to buy inFamous 2 soon, heard it was a really good game, plus I liked the original. I understand someone said there is a free Team Fortress 2, where, and how can I get it?

I'm now addicted to Team Fortress 2 and not being able to trade people items is really pissing me off, since I'm just one Cloak and Dagger away from a weapon I want and C&D are virtually worthless.

No one on here happens to have a Cloak and Dagger they don't want do they?

All this talk about TF2, and no mention of Meet the Medic? Third best Meet the Team after Spy and Soldier imo.

I love the "Meet the Sniper" video, but my favorite one is the Spy, I think most people's is that one

I was *this* close to downloading some epic, highly rated total overhaul mod for Fallout 3.

Then I regained my senses. Why in the hell would I play a game that is probably the only example I can think of that has become obsolete by its successor and has absolutely 0 replay value? Oh well, back to 'Fallout of Nevada.'

Just finished Silent Hill 2. When I heard about "sexual imagery" I didn't expect to see monsters being raped over the kitchen table.

Back