General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

I have finished Planescape: Torment. That was...well, no words to describe it properly. That it is - indescribable.
So much of everything that makes a human, that makes "the nature of a man", put in a game. I have never experienced anything like this, nothing touched me so deeply before, and I doubt anything will ever again.

Atomkilla said:
I have never experienced anything like this, nothing touched me so deeply before, and I doubt anything will ever again.

Try reading books?

Per said:
Atomkilla said:
I have never experienced anything like this, nothing touched me so deeply before, and I doubt anything will ever again.

Try reading books?

The majority of books (especially modern ones) are trash (Including most bestsellers) so I don't really think a general comment like this really works.

Try reading more classic and critically acclaimed books may be better.

Comparing books to games (even a one heavily based on text) is pointless, anyway. Books rarely, if ever, are a personal experience on a level as games are, since you have no choice or freedom in reading a book. Planescape let's you define yourself, which takes the experience a step higher.

Not to say books are any less enlightening, but a book is a book - uniteractive piece of text.

Well, Torment is already half a novel anyway. Plus, as far as plot, themes (why does only Obsidian understand the importance of thematic narrative in the industry? it's adds so much to a story) and writing go, it's superior to the vast majority of novels I read in my life.

Ausdoerrt said:
Huh? Gambits are great because they make sure you don't have to pause every few seconds to select an action. It's more like RTWP but with smart AI than an MMO. You can set up a "self-playing" game with enough effort, of course, but it's entirely your choice to do so. Combat plays great with or without them. I only use gambits for healing and targeting, and do everything else by hand, and that works just fine for me.
I don't remember being able to pause and input commands, I'm pretty sure that you had to do it on the fly. That said, the combat isn't very interesting even when you do input the commands manually, it just stretches out how boring it is. Part of what makes the gambits so stupid is that you have to collect them all so basically they set up the AI to not only be the intended method of play and then kneecapped you, telling you that you had to find all of them and that you couldn't play the game as intended until you did so and unlocked enough slots on the grid to use them.

Ausdoerrt said:
Huh again? What's wrong with challenging optional mini-bosses? I loved it in Last Remnant, and love it here. Makes you go out of your way and tweak your party up to the challenge. Also keeps you on your toes, since rares can spawn randomly when you're not ready at all. Or would you rather have it "play like a boring movie"? Oh wait :roll: Giggles aside, I think aside from the annoying weather system, that's about the best of side-content I've seen from an FF game. Masks the rails just enough, without being an annoyance like cards in FFVIII.
The marks/hunts are generally fine, there simply tend to be a bit too many of them. The rare monsters do not spawn randomly, they have set conditions which cause them to spawn and most of those conditions cannot be met randomly/during normal gameplay due to how tedious they are. Killing them all is a painful level of tedium which attempting during normal gameplay causes you to over level and royally fucks the pacing. The post game bosses are retarded, it takes hours to kill them not because they are particularly hard but because once you figure out how to fight them you have to wear down their millions of hit points. The Zodiac Spear is complete bullshit to get and really cannot be gotten without a FAQ. To get it you have to not open specific unmarked treasure chests at the very beginning of the game and one other point in the game.

Ausdoerrt said:
From where I stand (30 hours in), the game is more story-focused than character-focused unlike most recent FF games. The lead may be weak, but he's not getting an unreasonable amount of screen time compared to the rest of the cast, and the cast isn't a collection of social misfits either. Plus, the story is actually pretty good and the world setting is coherent. And they were right, Basch wouldn't cut it as the lead, especially if they focused on his character. Also, it's debatable whether Vaan is actually a "lead", I could argue that Ashe is more of a lead than he is. Though I guess most fans dislike this because they want another angsty teenager Cloud-copycat and a story revolving around his tragic idiocy. An actual story? Preposterous!
Asche is who the plot revolves around but originally they had it designed to be narrated/told through the second perspective, though Basch. Vaan and Penello are both obnoxious and completely extraneous to the plot, dragging the plot down. The pacing is fucking awful if you go for 100% completion because of how much marks, hunts, and rare monsters stretch out the game. Even without playing for 100% completion the gameplay is still mediocre.

Ausdoerrt said:
If you grind your game to death then it's not the game's fault, and you're not playing it as intended. It's like playing FO:NV by shooting everything that moves. I'm bent on doing every side-quest (my definition of "completionist") and I think I'm past 1/3 point, and I haven't gotten even close to unlocking everyone's license boards. So the advancement system seems to work just fine. As for all characters being the same save special moves, well, I'm not surprised since that's what it was like in most FF games to begin with.
How is playing the game as a completionist not playing it as intended? Any content that makes the game should be enjoyable, a large portion of it is not. The bullshit excuse that completing the side content is not playing a game as intended or foreseen is bullshit, they should have discovered during play testing that it made the game even worse to play. Also, the limit breaks don't separate the characters as different as they are all essentially the same. It is by far the least interest system which results in the most similar characters the fastest in any Final Fantasy game.

Ausdoerrt said:
It's basically a slightly improved copy of the sphere grid from FFX, and you don't see anyone complain about that one.
It offers no improvements over the Sphere Grid as it will be completely filled in by every character by the end of the game no matter how you play, reducing character variety. The Sphere Grid allows for you to heavily customize your characters once you reach the end of their starting paths and cannot be completely filled in any sort of reasonable gameplay scenario.

Finished Metro 2033, damn good game if you ask me.

I'm playing Rise of Nations: finished Cold War Campaign (playing as Soviets, of course), New World Campaign (playing as Aztecs) and Alexander the Great Campaign; now I'm in the middle of a Conquer the World Campaign (playing as China) and begun the Napoleon Campaign.

And, of course, a bit of Team Fortress 2 every night :mrgreen:

I don't remember being able to pause and input commands, I'm pretty sure that you had to do it on the fly.

Pressing X pauses the game and lets you select an action. In reality, not much different from ATB with "pause" on. Less twitch-reflexes, actually. Gambits are there if you can't be bothered to do everything manually, which I prefer anyway, so I don't see them as an essential part of gameplay.

Part of what makes the gambits so stupid is that you have to collect them all so basically they set up the AI to not only be the intended method of play and then kneecapped you, telling you that you had to find all of them and that you couldn't play the game as intended until you did so and unlocked enough slots on the grid to use them.

A fair and common criticism, though to the Game's defense, it's not like it takes an inordinate amount of effort to do that.

The marks/hunts are generally fine, there simply tend to be a bit too many of them.

Arguing in favor of less content versus more? :roll: Sorry, I don't buy it. It's not like you're forced to complete everything. If you're going for 100% completion, expect a bit of tedium from ANY game. IMO, it's still better than virtually having no side-content (FFI, III, V), or overall less annoying than what other FFs had to offer, and at least related to the game skills you spent your time developing (in comparison: Chocobo herding? Triple triad? tedium if I ever saw any).

The rare monsters do not spawn randomly, they have set conditions which cause them to spawn and most of those conditions cannot be met randomly/during normal gameplay due to how tedious they are.

Which is why I already spawned a few in my 30 hours :roll:

The Zodiac Spear is complete bullshit to get and really cannot be gotten without a FAQ. To get it you have to not open specific unmarked treasure chests at the very beginning of the game and one other point in the game.

It's the most OP weapon in the game... Did you complain about how impossible it's to get Excalibur II in FFIX?

Asche is who the plot revolves around but originally they had it designed to be narrated/told through the second perspective, though Basch. Vaan and Penello are both obnoxious and completely extraneous to the plot, dragging the plot down. The pacing is fucking awful if you go for 100% completion because of how much marks, hunts, and rare monsters stretch out the game. Even without playing for 100% completion the gameplay is still mediocre.

Haven't finished the game so can't comment on the pacing. Seems fine thus far. Vaan is certainly not as obnoxious as some of other FF characters, and I kind of like Penelo. If Basch was "second perspective" then Vaan is third, sort of like the "uninvolved civilian" of the conflict, which IMO is an interesting angle to present the story from.

How is playing the game as a completionist not playing it as intended?

Please read my post. I'm completing all the side-objectives (withing reason - I'm not taking on lvl5 marks with lv30 party), and I'm not over-leveled in the least. I see myself as playing "completionist". I don't know what your definition is, but it certainly seems to have you grinding more than necessary. I don't see how it's a "bullshit excuse" when I say I'm doing all the side-content but I'm not over-leveled, or when I say I'm past half-way point and don't have all the licenses completed. You either over-exaggerate, or you've been grinding to the moon.

Also, the limit breaks don't separate the characters as different as they are all essentially the same.

I suppose Espers are a more distinguishing feature. But whatever. I don't see how blank-slate characters are so abhorrent, you still get to customize their roles with equipment (i.e. can't really have a jack-of-all-trades), and other FFs have done it quite successfully without everyone complaining.

Bringing the thread-train back onto the line Topic West, I've been playing a lot of PS2 lately, punctuated by brief testing of the Uncharted 3 MP beta on PS3. You know, the game Gladius is really fun; the only two things it could have used is stronger female lead design and cut down on the load times.

I'm playing Little King's Story on the Wii...

This game has a lot of heart and depth.....You can tell that the developers worked their butts off to make this game...

It is a shame that they went bankrupt and the game didn't sell well.....at least I still enjoy the game....

Per said:
Atomkilla said:

Try reading books?
That was uncalled for... PT is a masterpiece, you know that!
Reading makes you smart though...

Honkus said:
Per said:
Atomkilla said:

Try reading books?

PT pretty much is a book. :|

Honkus said:
Per said:
Atomkilla said:

Try reading books?

I actually wasn't being flippant. I can understand that someone would find Torment a touching experience, even if I don't find it all that deep myself (and quite uneven in terms of writing). But if someone says they don't expect to find anything as touching ever again, it suggests to me that they're not keeping things in perspective and/or aren't entirely aware of the scope of human narrative. The alternative - that Atomkilla actually won't be able to find anything as accomplished and profound - is just baffling to me.

Per said:
The alternative - that Atomkilla actually won't be able to find anything as accomplished and profound - is just baffling to me.

I will - but the presentation is sure going to be different, and in most cases not that effective.

Ausdoerrt said:
A fair and common criticism, though to the Game's defense, it's not like it takes an inordinate amount of effort to do that.
Some of them are pretty annoying to get and the bigger problem is that it hurts the customization as you can't use gambits for the more powerful abilities if you get them early.

Ausdoerrt said:
Arguing in favor of less content versus more? :roll: Sorry, I don't buy it. It's not like you're forced to complete everything. If you're going for 100% completion, expect a bit of tedium from ANY game. IMO, it's still better than virtually having no side-content (FFI, III, V), or overall less annoying than what other FFs had to offer, and at least related to the game skills you spent your time developing (in comparison: Chocobo herding? Triple triad? tedium if I ever saw any).
If the side content isn't good then it shouldn't be there. Again, my problem with the rare monsters is the tedium of getting them to appear as the game would have been better for having the monsters always be there.

Ausdoerrt said:
Which is why I already spawned a few in my 30 hours :roll:
I spawned a few randomly as well, I didn't say that none of them could be found through normal gameplay but that most of them couldn't be. Some of them do appear randomly but most do not.

Ausdoerrt said:
It's the most OP weapon in the game... Did you complain about how impossible it's to get Excalibur II in FFIX?
So bad design is okay when it involves OP weapons? Excalibur II is actually impossible for owners of the European version to get because the game clock is fast and no one can speed run the game fast enough to compensate. That said, I do think that the method of unlocking Excalibur II is a fine one, even if it is even more obnoxious.

Ausdoerrt said:
Haven't finished the game so can't comment on the pacing. Seems fine thus far. Vaan is certainly not as obnoxious as some of other FF characters, and I kind of like Penelo. If Basch was "second perspective" then Vaan is third, sort of like the "uninvolved civilian" of the conflict, which IMO is an interesting angle to present the story from.
Oh I agree that it's an interesting angle, the problem is that the character is complete garbage.

Ausdoerrt said:
Please read my post. I'm completing all the side-objectives (withing reason - I'm not taking on lvl5 marks with lv30 party), and I'm not over-leveled in the least. I see myself as playing "completionist". I don't know what your definition is, but it certainly seems to have you grinding more than necessary. I don't see how it's a "bullshit excuse" when I say I'm doing all the side-content but I'm not over-leveled, or when I say I'm past half-way point and don't have all the licenses completed. You either over-exaggerate, or you've been grinding to the moon.
Getting all of the rare monsters is a massive grind as many of them involve killing all of the creatures in one or more areas before they respawn. Being a completionist means 100% completion to me and I gave up on the game before I got there because it wasn't good.

Ausdoerrt said:
I suppose Espers are a more distinguishing feature. But whatever. I don't see how blank-slate characters are so abhorrent, you still get to customize their roles with equipment (i.e. can't really have a jack-of-all-trades), and other FFs have done it quite successfully without everyone complaining.
Every character in FFVI has a unique ability or two so it's not even close to the same. I'm not saying that it's the only game with the problem but it is far worse than any other game that did so because most people will completely fill up the license grid by the end of the game.

Just finished DX:Human Revolution beta today, man what a shame it is so short 'cause it's great, true Deus Ex game. Can't wait till August 23rd for the full release.

Back