General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

playing the first F.E.A.R. again. this really is my favorite fps. the only complaint I have is the lack of iron sights. I have no idea why they went with zooming. but you get used to it.

I'll probably play through it again with more mods, as Repair Mod 2.5 and one removing the disgusting View Bob were the only two I used. I couldn't find any awesome gameplay changing mods that didn't also fuck with the graphics and quadruple the system requirements.

Oblivion Lost doesn't tamper with the graphics afaik. It also gives you access to reasonable equipment a bit earlier andso reduces the early-game drag. AMK I think you can choose not to install gfx-changing elements, but you'd probably dislike it since it makes stuff even more "realistic". Or just play Call of Pripyat since it's a direct sequel and a great game and improves a lot on the original. With "Complete" installed if your PC can handle it.

I'm not sure why they even bothered to put Sniper Rifles and Shotguns in the game, as the Sniper Rifles are inferior to the high-end assault rifles in every way (and you can't even get a Sniper Rifle until you're at the point where the high-end assault rifles are being dropped by EVERY enemy). Shotguns are even worse, as enemies are obscene damage sponges unless you headshot them; and if you can headshot them with a shotgun you could do it even easier with a pistol or assault rifle that weighs less with ammo that weighs significantly less.

Well presumable you can fire a sniper from farther away with less of a bullet curve. It's been a damn long time since I played SoC though, so can't remember if there's actually situations where that's useful, but I recall rarely using those as well. Then again, I suck at sniping. I can imagine someone good at it could pick off an entire base (e.g. Duty assault on Freedom) from so far that nobody could put a scratch on him. The weight and the rarity of ammo make it an extremely limited-application weapon. Most assault rifles, even scoped, cannot compete, except maybe Vintar but iirc there's only two in the game, in rare stashes.

Shotguns is where you're wrong though. They're extremely useful, but primarily for dispatching mutants, since those move fast and tend to attack from up close. Though still, I guess mutants areless of a threat in SoC compared to the sequels. Against humans there's VERY limited application, like in tight corridor fights that in SoC iirc are very few, or for cleaning up large groups of weak enemies. But you're right pistols and non-scoped assault rifles can be an alternative in those rare situations, though I never figured out how to use the former properly. And yeah you have to still aim for the head, just not as precisely.

I was wrong on both accounts. The most efficient way to dispatch enemies is to simply sprint from cover to cover until you're close enough, and then just speed knife them CoD style or headshot them from ~5-10 feet where the random number generator can't fuck you over on accuracy

Or alternatively, use single-fire mode (or 3-bullet fire mode if available) to significantly improve accuracy :roll: Firing more than 3 bullets at once is counter-productive anyway, as the spread increases the longer you fire. Knifing is effective though, if you can catch the target unawares (iirc 1-hit kill with right-click on just about any target).

Okay, this is what I know:
Win XP Professional SP3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2,69 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB

All I can say is you fit the official minimum requirements, abit above, listed on the Witcher 2 site. If that's a desktop we're talking about you should probably be able to run it. Probably. Unfortunately, for these matters, there isn't really a way to know for sure until you try it.

Ausdoerrt said:
Well presumable you can fire a sniper from farther away with less of a bullet curve. It's been a damn long time since I played SoC though, so can't remember if there's actually situations where that's useful, but I recall rarely using those as well. Then again, I suck at sniping. I can imagine someone good at it could pick off an entire base (e.g. Duty assault on Freedom) from so far that nobody could put a scratch on him. The weight and the rarity of ammo make it an extremely limited-application weapon. Most assault rifles, even scoped, cannot compete, except maybe Vintar but iirc there's only two in the game, in rare stashes.

The sniper rifles (There's three, SVD, VSS, SVU) actually have MORE spread than the high-end assault rifles, SLIGHTLY better zoom, several times heavier ammunition, and remove the ability to sprint. I've got no idea what you mean by "assault rifles can't compete", when you'll actually have a far easier time taking out a target over extreme distances with a G36 or F2000 than you would with any of the sniper rifles, and you won't be fucked if someone pops up at close-range. A headshot is a headshot, and the only weapon that can beat assault rifles at extremely long-range killing is the gauss rifle, and by the time you start to find them the game is over.

Ausdoerrt said:
Shotguns is where you're wrong though. They're extremely useful, but primarily for dispatching mutants, since those move fast and tend to attack from up close. Though still, I guess mutants areless of a threat in SoC compared to the sequels. Against humans there's VERY limited application, like in tight corridor fights that in SoC iirc are very few, or for cleaning up large groups of weak enemies. But you're right pistols and non-scoped assault rifles can be an alternative in those rare situations, though I never figured out how to use the former properly. And yeah you have to still aim for the head, just not as precisely.

The assault rifles absolutely destroy mutants. The only one that can't be killed in less than a second with a quick burst to the face is the pseudo-giant (it takes about 2 seconds), and there's what... two of them in the entire game? Again, assault rifles come out on top.

Ausdoerrt said:
Or alternatively, use single-fire mode (or 3-bullet fire mode if available) to significantly improve accuracy :roll: Firing more than 3 bullets at once is counter-productive anyway, as the spread increases the longer you fire. Knifing is effective though, if you can catch the target unawares (iirc 1-hit kill with right-click on just about any target).

Oh lord. Go flip on semi-auto on the AKS-74U or MP5 and plink away at Cordon bandits/military from mid-range (Good luck with that MASSIVE spread even when crouched), while I've got a camp cleared in under a minute from just sprinting in and knifing the fuckers. Until you've upgraded to an AK74 or AN94, killing enemies at range is nothing more than an exercise in luck.

The sniper rifles (There's three, SVD, VSS, SVU) actually have MORE spread than the high-end assault rifles

If by VSS you mean Vintar, then it's more similar to assault rifles since it's got auto-fire, and uses fairly common 9x39 ammo, same as a few other high-end weps. I think it's universally acknowledged as the best weapon in the game, and in SoC I think it is. Oh and you CAN run with it. Not sure about spread with the other two, rarely used them, but Vintar is almost always dead on target if fired in 1-2 shots. (Side note: Naturally, you have to account for distance, the bullet doesn't fly straight for any weapon except Gauss).

F2000 you find almost as late as gauss so it doesn't count. G36 does make a decent weapon, though I always preferred the improved TR-301 for its grenade launcher attachement. Neither stands up to Vintar in deadliness though.

I've got no idea what you mean by "assault rifles can't compete", when you'll actually have a far easier time taking out a target over extreme distances with a G36 or F2000 than you would with any of the sniper rifles, and you won't be fucked if someone pops up at close-range.

Can't compete in range and accuracy at long distances. A shot with most assault rifles from over 100 meters is a shot in the dark. Snipers you can still aim. And one would be a fool to go into close combat with a sniper rifle - I mean why would you? And I assure you nobody would ever "pop up" close range if you're sitting on a tower or roof beyond enemy's sight range. Worst comes to worst, the secondary weapon is there for a reason, take a pick of Chaser 13 or Desert Eagle to deal with those surprises. Though frankly, if you plan your battles, the AI isn't smart enough to flank you without being completely obvious about it.

A headshot is a headshot, and the only weapon that can beat assault rifles at extremely long-range killing is the gauss rifle, and by the time you start to find them the game is over.

Ugh no, assault rifles mostly suck at extremely long range. First, you'd be struggling to scout the terrain through those low-res scopes. Second, it's more difficult to account for firing distance with most assault rifles. So yeah, HS is HS, but getting one with an assault rifle on long range can be extremely tricky.

The assault rifles absolutely destroy mutants. The only one that can't be killed in less than a second with a quick burst to the face is the pseudo-giant (it takes about 2 seconds), and there's what... two of them in the entire game? Again, assault rifles come out on top.

Again, I probably haven't played vanilla SoC since release, so you may be right here. Both the mods and the sequels have upped the number, variety and difficulty of mutants, so my perception is skewed. In CoP I just finished playing, a group of rodents will chew through your exoskeleton before you notice it. Oblivion lots will sometimes spawn ridiculously large packs of dogs, sometimes led by chimeras with electric breath, or burers. Shotguns excel at taking out such clusters, especially the better ones with high fire rate.

Oh lord. Go flip on semi-auto on the AKS-74U or MP5 and plink away at Cordon bandits/military from mid-range (Good luck with that MASSIVE spread even when crouched), while I've got a camp cleared in under a minute from just sprinting in and knifing the fuckers. Until you've upgraded to an AK74 or AN94, killing enemies at range is nothing more than an exercise in luck.

First thing I remember doing in SoC was taking out that military patrol south of the bar with a pistol and a few grenades. Bam! There's your AK74, it's easy from there. AKS and MP5 suck, I don't know why anyone would even use them.

P.S. This conversation is giving me bad flashbacks about the unfortunate lack of variety in weaponry, and of the option to repair in SoC.

PainlessDocM said:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

(Not very accurate)

Okay, here it is.

p2pcl.png

(Direct link doesn't work)

I honestly doubt something like this is possible.

It will probably run but it will certainly not be a very smooth experience. The Witcher 2 is a pretty demanding game.

An 8800 card is the minimum, your card is newer but slower.

System Requirements Lab only has the data for minimum specs for TW2; it will only check if you pass them (it's mostly bullshit anyway, it said my old laptop couldn't handle ME2 while it ran just fine). But I can say you should be able to run it, albeit certainly not with many options on. Might want to tone down the resolution a notch depending on your monitor.

About STALKER, I only played Call of Pripyat, but yeah long-ranged fights happen very rarely; powerful humans (Duty, ect) usually stay indoors, and mutants move around so fast sniping them is an exercise in luck. A good assault rifle (AK74, then G36) and a shotgun in case of Bloodsuckers will win almost any situation, the knife is no longer one-hit kill in COP.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
The game tries to simulate bullet drop, if you account for this the sniper rifles are extremely accurate. So are most weapons, the mp5 clone for instance is viable for most of the game with the right ammo. Shotguns are really useful against the fast moving mutants, the wide spread of buckshot can take out several rats at once, or catch a mutant that you are having trouble drawing a bead on. The game has several types of weapons for people to play it different ways, lucky for you it seems you found a way that you can cope with.

As for sniper rifles being fucked if someone pops up a close range, name one decent shooter where that doesn't happen? That's what your bloody pistol slot is there for. Though with the inventory and generous weight allowance you can store your sniper rifle until you want it.

Oblivion Lost does have a lot of graphics changes, most mods do. It's hard to find a decent just graphics mod, or a decent just game play changes mod.

Dragon Age 2 Legacy DLC (har har rhymes). Surprinsingly good offering, manages to avoid most of the main game's most glaring problems. Waves are much less present and now make sense; enemies come from afar or from closed doors, and archers have the common sense to use high ground. A few clever ambushes too, like Darkspawn buried in the sand. Senseless exploding corpses have also been removed as of patch 1.03. The final boss fight is pretty nice, but relies on dumb companion AI a bit too much (get ready to hit that Tactics screen, folks) And, rarely for a Bioware DLC, all companions get voice-overs, especially the siblings, and lots of development for hawke's family. All in all, good purchase, about equivalent to OWB in terms of quality in itself I would say, less of a ''redemption'' (as some BSN fans claim it is) and more of a case of Bioware not being unreasonably rushed.

oh no you have to use tactics in DA2? the world has turned upside down.

I also noticed the A-10 killing NATO troops in that video. haha worst hats in the military, the deserve no better.

About STALKER, I only played Call of Pripyat, but yeah long-ranged fights happen very rarely; powerful humans (Duty, ect) usually stay indoors, and mutants move around so fast sniping them is an exercise in luck. A good assault rifle (AK74, then G36) and a shotgun in case of Bloodsuckers will win almost any situation, the knife is no longer one-hit kill in COP.

SoC has quite a few more outdoor encounters where, if you plan right, you can turn them into long-range fights. In CoP close-range is a lot more common, I even had to give up Vintar cause it wasn't being useful enough. Ended up relying mostly on Groza, or SPAS/Otboynik, especially in later-game.

After playing the hell out of Alpha Protocol for the last month or so, I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time in a long time and so far it is actually better than I remember.

ramessesjones said:
After playing the hell out of Alpha Protocol for the last month or so, I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time in a long time and so far it is actually better than I remember.

FFT is pretty much the only Final Fantasy game worth a damn. Even if the story is essentially totally linear, it's basis (the War of the Roses) is actually interesting and the characters are quite nice. Which version are you playing? The original PSX version or the PSP update/relrease, FFT: The War Of the Lions?

And if you're not actually playing on a console/handheld, you might want to look into some mods that patch it up/balance things a bit more properly.

Jagged Alliance 2 is probably my favorite timesink at the moment. With the 1.13 mod, of course, it's just so wonderfully excellent.

STALKER playthrough #2 with Oblivon Lost merged with Arsenal Mod. Oh fuck, I'm in heaven.

-Night is now pitch black.
-Sneaking actually works now.
-The AI no longer has omniscient crysis-vision. You can now kill from range with a silenced weapon without them instantly knowing you're there the second you fire.
-Weapons no longer fucking suck in the beginning of the game (A crappy AKS-74U is several times more accurate and damaging than the F2000 from Vanilla), and all weapons were given massive damage/accuracy boosts across the board.
-Human enemies are no longer obscene bullet sponges. 3-4 shots to the chest will drop most anyone. That goes for you as well until you get your ballistic resistance extremely high.
-An incredible amount of NPC faction fights.
-Blowouts.
-Lots of new mutants.
Mutants are actually dangerous now, and take several times more damage to kill. This suddenly makes the shotguns useful; as it can take 20+ AK74 headshots to kill a bloodsucker, but one point blank shotgun blast to the face does the trick.
-Anomalies move around, do WAY more damage, and can be used to transmute artifacts.

Pretty much every annoyance I had with Vanilla is fixed with OL (Besides the constantly respawning bandits on the border of the Garbage and Agroprom, every time you change maps). It's like I'm playing a completely different game.

Yeah, OL is really awesome. The last time I played it I used some graphical enhancements, too. Added some very nice lighting effects, better textures and all that.
Really made the game how it should have been from the start.
I'm wondering if anyone does anything with the 1935 Build GSC released. After a lot of bugfixing and polishing it could acutally be a very nice game on its own. Although, as far as I know, the people from OL took quite a few things from that build.

Dino D Day, tried to go mano a mano with a T-Rex in the noble art of fisty cuffs after I ran out of PIAT rounds and almost won if the game hadn't finished.
Punching giant lizards to death has never been so satisfying.

Back