General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Wintermind said:
Except you always have to play peragus first, and it's always holding your hand throughout. Fine once maybe twice, but after that? Always having to go through Taris/Dantoonine or Peragus/Telos gets old fast.

I love Peragus. But then Telos is right after and while having a few nice bits it is pretty boring.

I don't have a problem with tutorial sequences. Back when I was starting to play cRPGs (and games in general), I remember them being extremely helpful. They allow games to have some depth without being (blamed for being) completely inscrutable. It's a lot better that modern games that prefer to "throw you right into the action" where all you have to do is press A for Awesome. Or worse yet, as in Witcher 2, nothing makes sense and you get your @$$ handed to you.

Except the fact that you can skip it one way or another does not redeem the fact that it's still there.

Frankly, most games aren't designed to be played through more than a few times. If you're an avid fan that plays the game to death, then the mods are there for a reason.

But then again, even older games have bad tutorials. The Mortuary (sp?) was OK because you could hide or sneak-kill or just bash your way out, but I don't need to remind everyone how senseless and tedious the Temple of Trials was.

And yeah, the Witcher 2 prologue was awful. It slaps you in the face with tits and snarls continuity (I didn't romance Triss) before beating you over the head with the fact it's combat Requires Skill! with no hints at all, sprinkled with those lovely QTE with the dragon. One of the worst starts to a good game ever.

And yeah, the Witcher 2 prologue was awful. It slaps you in the face with tits and snarls continuity (I didn't romance Triss) before beating you over the head with the fact it's combat Requires Skill! with no hints at all, sprinkled with those lovely QTE with the dragon. One of the worst starts to a good game ever.

And yet, other than the dragon, all of that could be solved by a longer, traditional-style tutorial that even TW1 had, instead of the newly-popular "throw the player into the action" tendency. And just because you didn't romance Triss doesn't mean Geralt wouldn't hit her. :wink: You do have the option of being cold to her throughout the game, at least.

But then again, even older games have bad tutorials. The Mortuary (sp?) was OK because you could hide or sneak-kill or just bash your way out, but I don't need to remind everyone how senseless and tedious the Temple of Trials was.

ToT wasn't bad because it was a lengthy tutorial, in fact as a tutorial it's as good as any other and does a good job of teaching the new player all the necessary skills. It's faulty because it's overly reliant on a certain set of skills the player may have chosen not to pursue (melee and/or unarmed). Take our or make easier the annoying ant/scorpion fights, and ToT works just fine.

What I don't get the most is the hatred for Irenicus' dungeon, I mean it does do a great deal of story-setting necessary for those who never played BG1, and is a fairly entertaining dungeon in its own right.

Just finished STALKER CoP - finally, last time my laptop died when I was close to the end of the game, and I forgot to recover the saves >__> Great game, probably best in the series. I hope the second trilogy doesn't get too consolified.

Catherine Launch day... and I don't have a 360/PS3, FUCK, I am dying to play that game.
I wonder if there are gonna be day one reviews of the game, they are probably just an entire page of: FUUUUUUCK THIS GAME IS FUCKING HARD!! AAAAAAGHHH I HAD TO PUSH THE THING ITNO THE THING, BTU I DIDN'T!

Damn you Atlus, why don't you release games for the PC?

PainlessDocM said:
Installing
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUu4SV3GjVw[/youtube]

holy crap! jesus wept! What an amazing looking flightsim!

Man we are truly blessed to live in this day and age. Ive shot down germans over france(IL2), commanded tank battles(opflash), led squads of men in combat(arma 2), sank japanese/english merchant shipping (Silent Hunter 4-5), ran a hotlap at Monza in a Formula 1 car, (F1 Champ 99-02) and been a homicidal prostitute killer (GTA)

Fuckin A its good to be alive in 2011. I should quit smoking.

I like it but I still prefer the tranquillity of flying a biplane in ROF.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR_8cTRMfHU&feature=related[/youtube]

Best flight-sim ever IMO

PainlessDocM said:
Installing
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUu4SV3GjVw[/youtube]

Wow, the music is embarassing there. Other than that it looks good.

alec said:
Playing Planescape Torment.

Me too, though I loaded a savegame which was already quite advanced in the storyline to see some alternative conversations etc.

Finished The Witcher. Now I want more.

Damn, I'm not sure if the sequel would work with me. Someone help?
Like, I post specs (and you help me at that, too, I'm not that knowledgeable about hardware), or, in better case, someone gives me a link to one of those sites that check my specs and rate if the game would work with me. A site which works, that is...
So, help? Please?

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if there is a PC version of LA Noire in the works? 360 games here are insanely expensive, and I can buy most PC games at USA price through steam, and I really want to play that game.

My mom bought herself a 360, I am gonna visit her on Vacations, so I guess I am gonna embarras myself playing Kinect for two weeks.

Surf Solar said:
Wow, the music is embarassing there. Other than that it looks good.

Yea, what is it with modern combat games and sweeping orchestral music?
It should be illegal to have a game about an A-10 and not have heavy rock going 24/7.

Also it was shooting guys in bright blue berets, slightly confusing.

Walpknut said:
Does anyone know if there is a PC version of LA Noire in the works? 360 games here are insanely expensive, and I can buy most PC games at USA price through steam, and I really want to play that game.

My mom bought herself a 360, I am gonna visit her on Vacations, so I guess I am gonna embarras myself playing Kinect for two weeks.

There is one in the works, AFAIK, apparently in Autumn.

http://www.pcgames.de/LA-Noire-PC-2...t-der-PC-User-wollen-das-Spiel-kaufen-830932/

(couldn't find an english link)

Walpknut said:
Does anyone know if there is a PC version of LA Noire in the works?

Yeah it's due out sometime this Fall (maybe November?). I'm still waiting for the PC version of Red Dead Redemption.

PainlessDocM said:
I'm sure someone here can give you a much better estimate on how the game will run on your system if you post your specs.

Okay, this is what I know:
Win XP Professional SP3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2,69 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB

Is this enough?

Not really a gaming computer, I know...

PainlessDocM said:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

(Not very accurate)

I've tried that before, just when the game came out. Apparently, I could run it on the best settings, so I decided to wait til they update it or something. Will check it out later, my connection is kinda slow now.

Thanks.

Tackling another game on my "I really need to play this" list, I've completed S.T.A.L.K.E.R after forcing myself through the beginning.

I could never get into it in the past, because the weapons had an obscene cone of fire, and I thought that I was supposed to just plink away from behind cover until the random number generator decided to put a bullet where the center of my crosshair was. Also, I was under the impression that iron sights actually affected accuracy.

I was wrong on both accounts. The most efficient way to dispatch enemies is to simply sprint from cover to cover until you're close enough, and then just speed knife them CoD style or headshot them from ~5-10 feet where the random number generator can't fuck you over on accuracy; all while avoiding iron sights at all costs as they heavily obscure your view without actually decreasing the spread of your shots.

After I realized this, the game became easy. Really, really easy (Veteran difficulty). Eventually I got my hands on the "Fast-shooting AK74", which was actually accurate enough to allow me to kill at range with, and it got easier. Then I got a scope for it in the Wild Lands, and the game got easier still. From here on in, it was pretty much just me mowing down everything with impunity (except for those Gauss Rifle dudes) all the way to the end of the game.

I'm not sure why they even bothered to put Sniper Rifles and Shotguns in the game, as the Sniper Rifles are inferior to the high-end assault rifles in every way (and you can't even get a Sniper Rifle until you're at the point where the high-end assault rifles are being dropped by EVERY enemy). Shotguns are even worse, as enemies are obscene damage sponges unless you headshot them; and if you can headshot them with a shotgun you could do it even easier with a pistol or assault rifle that weighs less with ammo that weighs significantly less.

Still, despite how easy the game was, I actually had a damn good time with it.

I'll probably play through it again with more mods, as Repair Mod 2.5 and one removing the disgusting View Bob were the only two I used. I couldn't find any awesome gameplay changing mods that didn't also fuck with the graphics and quadruple the system requirements.

Back