General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

I hardly ever use mods. Calling something "a piece of shit" without stating any reasons makes you look like a 15 year old SPUF tard btw.

I loved Civ 2, Civ 3, played Civ 4 and Civ 5 aswell. None of these were "pieces of shit" - so it'd be nice to hear why this particular game sucks so much in your opinion.

-Rigid civic system which reminds me of some MMO RPG. I don't want a friggin skill tree in a game like civ, thanks very much. Besides, i like to be a despotic tyrant in medieval, genocide mudraces in industrial, and embrace human rights in modern times ... like real life.
-The diplomacy AI was flawed when i played it, though they probably improved it by now
-No cottages ... yeah let's just plant 20 markets around my city, looks a lot better :roll:
-I don't need tactical depth in a game like civ. I can understand the annoyance with SoD's, but there are ways to turn them off ... the tactical combat in civ V feels ridiculous, you have to spread your troops over the whole damn map to take one city.
-Global happiness system that makes no sense whatsoever and neither does some city state supplying my whole empire with food.
-Numerous "subjective" issues like the "streamlined" UI & research"

The game tries to do too much and it shows that Sid Meier didn't have much to do with it.

So after hitting a brick wall in Skyrimjob and being unable to progress in a quest I put it down for a bit.

Right now I'm playing Tribes: Ascend and oh my god it is glorious.

Black Feather said:

According to Steam I played Civ5 for 29 hours (which is next to nothing for a Civ title) so I don't know the game well enough to make any serious statements but I can safely agree with the issue you are having concerning the quality of the AI.
I don't know if it has been improved since release but it's still only barely adequate and certainly worse than Civ4's AI. (How does this happen?)
I prefer the more tactical warfare but I can understand some veterans of the series preferring the old way.
I kind of agree the global happiness system isn't the best change but I'm going to have to give the game a lot more time before I can be certain of that.
Another thing I certainly preferred in Civ4 was the music, who thought it would be a good idea to replace the great classical composers used in Civ4 with a much more generic sounding modern computer game composer's tracks. (It's certainly not bad but ofc it pales in comparison with Beethoven, Bach and Dvorák)

Anyone here already playing Saints Row 3? I wasn't really interested in this game mainly because I'm not a big fan of the type of humour it uses.

I didn't know however that this game was going to have a real coop mode so I might end up getting it after all as playing through this type of game (or just playing around in the city) with a friend could prove to be hilarious.

I'm just not entirely sure whether it's worth the asking price to me. Also the prospect of several DLC releases is making me consider getting this title in a year or two when they actually sell the complete edition at a reduced price.

According to the Total Biscuit video I just saw the game works pretty good on pc so that's at least one less thing to worry about.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJGcBdIE_c[/youtube]

Painless, I picked it up, and it's zero to batshit insanity as soon as you put the foot on the pedal to play. Seriously, the first fifteen minutes of the game are like three climaxes of movies smashed together. [spoiler:8de68885ea]You rob a bank, try to steal the bank vault using a helicopter, get caught, then fight your way through a frigging private Airbus, only to skydive out, then blast back THROUGH the Airbus and skydive out of it again.[/spoiler:8de68885ea]

Played SR 3 for a little while, vehicles are floaty and physics and animations are mediocre. City is bland and there isn't a lot of traffic compare with Liberty City, graphics are good enough but not on the level of GTA IV either. The map seems fairly small but there are tons of side missions, buildings to buy, territories to take over,... Story is over the top infantile gangster parody nonsense but nonetheless pretty hilarious at times. Game ran very fluid on my friends fairly standard hardware and worked surprisingly well with the mouse and keyboard.

Didn't expect I would have fun with this game but I laughed out loud several times + the main villain is a [spoiler:18632998ae]Belgian[/spoiler:18632998ae].

Yeah, Saints Row: The Third seems to be pretty interesting. I like all these customization options the game gives you.

My brother just picked it up for the 360. Will probably play it on that for a bit to see if I should get the PC verison. Volition has kept to their word and the PC version actually runs pretty well but I don't want to spend 40 quid on a game that's ok.
Still can't buy it on Steam in the UK, conspiracy is afoot.

Hmm, well speaking of Civ, I partake in private matches with a friend of mine weekly in IV. It's always amusing to see the rather uncouth behavior of the other players in the main lobby compared to our staging area.

PainlessDocM said:
Playing Dark Messiah for the first time and I must say I'm really impressed by how awesome the combat in this game is. I read some complaints about mediocre voice acting and cliché story but so far the VA is actually pretty good IMO, I haven't progressed the story far enough to judge it. Anyone else here played this game and /or tried the multiplayer part?

Maybe I need to give it another go, but the beginning was too "bleh" for me. I figured that it was going to be a game very similar to Hexen 2, so I gave up right there when the combat dissatisfied me. I might have been spoiled by Mount and Blade at the time, but the game seemed like a kicking simulator. To be fair, I only played something like 2-4 hours and I have a hard time appreciating most linear games now-a-days.

The game is basically Bioshock with swords. So if that doesn't tickle your fancy you won't be satisfied by putting 4 more hours in the game. I enjoyed the shit of the game though. I would have said it's a superb game if the story was something unique, but it isn't.

Playing Jurassic Park: The Game on PC. I love the story, enjoy the graphics, but I really hate the game mechanics. I'd probably finish it for the story, but it's really not my type of game.

Started AC:Brotherhood. It's alright, I still don't get why people love this series so much, I mean the story is interesting (would be even more if they actually moved forward, you know 2012 is actually approaching IRL). The camera angles annoy me, it's like they now force you to look at where you need to go next, which is good on paper, but annoying as hell when I'm trying to climb up a wall.

But I have to say that the game responds better and the combat is vastly improved. Other than that it's just an alright game.

Back