General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Obligatory TOEE re-play with the new Co8 mod release. Hard to believe it's beed 8 years since vanilla (I remember struggling throuhg it at release), the game came such a long way!

I'm thinking about buying Baldur's Gate - 4 in 1 Boxset. Saw it for about 20$, and I guess it would be a neat present from Santa Claus.
Price seems fair.
However, I've heard there were some problems with this boxed edition. Is that true? Anyone here owns the thing?

not the boxed version to say that. But you might need the one or other patch which is rather difficult to come by as the game is already a bit old.

I had all sorts of weird issues without the patch like wrong voices and sometimes a quest which didnt worked. But after the patch it was no problem. THough I have it only in German so I doubt it is of any use to you.

But maybe you will find it over the net.

Naturally, I would look for patches first, but I don't think it is that hard to find them. Most of the older RPGs I've played needed patching, and I've never had problems finding those - seems that "restoration projects" and other sort of fan fixes are popular after all.

However, I've seen people complaining somewhere that this specific edition is a waste of a purchase, as players have encountered some problems that weren't present in the original versions of games. If my memory serves me well, that is.
Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a rumor or if I was just badly interpreting it, but I'd hate to buy an old game which doesn't work because of some "recent" problems, so to speak.

Continuing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, the game finally picks up steam at the third part. The first was hellishly hard and contained no relatable NPCs, the second was boring, but the third puts you in the shoes of Ike and co. and much carnage ensues. It's glorious.

Oh, and picked up Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight saga on Steam (say what you will about it, their sales are crazy). So far it seems fun, if a bit hack-and-slashy. But while we were talking about female armor, it seems the women in the Dragon Slayers never need to protect their legs in battle. And simply lifting their arms would cause the spikes on their armor to impale them, but I guess that's another poblem entirely.

Atomkilla said:
Naturally, I would look for patches first, but I don't think it is that hard to find them. Most of the older RPGs I've played needed patching, and I've never had problems finding those - seems that "restoration projects" and other sort of fan fixes are popular after all.

However, I've seen people complaining somewhere that this specific edition is a waste of a purchase, as players have encountered some problems that weren't present in the original versions of games. If my memory serves me well, that is.
Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a rumor or if I was just badly interpreting it, but I'd hate to buy an old game which doesn't work because of some "recent" problems, so to speak.

To this day, Baldurs Gate I is horribly bugged atleast for me. I so often get random crashes while traversing from map to map, CTDs when entering buildings etc. It's a damn shame, because I somehow grow to like the gameplay of the Infinity Engine games. BGI is the only IE game I haven't finished for this reason. :( I hope you will have more luck with the official patches.

I'm currently switching between playtesting 1-2 areas in my own game over and over again and for some "brain off-mode" I sometimes play Battlefield 3 - despite me not really liking Shooters it has superb sounddesign and atmosphere, so I gave it a chance.

Still (re)playing the Half Life series, finished the two expansions and currently about halfway through HL1. Amazing game(s).

I also picked up Payday The Heist and as expected it's great fun to play through with friends.

I love the stylish gangster style (think Heat and Reservoir Dogs), most of the music, sound design and voice acting are much better than I expected from an indie game. The game uses the HL2 engine so the graphics are more than adequate.

The game's mechanics are also quite solid (l4d style) in the more conventional closed maps like the bank heist.
The more open "street levels" feel a bit strange to me since you have to keep "advancing" (because standing still to long means that cops will pile up and create almost impassible choke points).

I don't really like unlock systems in general but at least you don't start out with pea shooters like in a lot of AAA online shooters.

PainlessDocM said:
The game uses the HL2 engine so the graphics are more than adequate.

Testament to how good that engine is that it still looks fine to use in modern games.

So many games brought in the Steam X-mas sale, so little time... oh wait I'm unemployed, so much time.

PainlessDocM said:
Still (re)playing the Half Life series, finished the two expansions and currently about halfway through HL1. Amazing game(s).

HL series are still good to this day, wonderfull games.
The first one is still strong and the first expansion (Opposing Force) is extremelly good to play.
The second is simply marvellous.

Still waiting for the third though.
Comon Valve, don't keep us waiting too much!

Since we're now in Christmas time, I usually become mindless and bored about games, so I'm playing Zombie Shooter 2.
Man, tons of fun.

Dead Island my arse, this is how you play against zombies! :D

brfritos said:
Still waiting for the third though.
Comon Valve, don't keep us waiting too much!
:D

It should be coming out soon, Valve is already starting to drop hints about it.

So i just beat Catherine on hard, I mostly got Bronze in all the stages, except the first two (gold) and the one before the last one (silver) got the "I am in space!!!" ending again, it was rather satisfying, now back to beat Arkham City on hard.

I went back to Bayonetta and unlocked Bracelet of Time, Eternal Testimony, Bazillions, Pillow Talk and Climax Bracelet.

Damn, my fingers hurt..

Now I need to save up 11 million Halos for a platinum ticket so Rodin can go to space and be a space marine. Since there is no way for me to actually know how much I've spent, I guess I'll just keep on saving. I also want to unlock Soi Fong as well, but 100 chapters are a bit much. The producer/director weren't kidding when he said that he wanted a game that makes your fingers bleed...

Been playing quite a lot of tf2 with few friends, also got limbo as a gift so i spent couple of hours with it yesterday. That game is creepier than what i was expecting

Starseeker said:
I went back to Bayonetta and unlocked Bracelet of Time, Eternal Testimony, Bazillions, Pillow Talk and Climax Bracelet.

Damn, my fingers hurt..

Now I need to save up 11 million Halos for a platinum ticket so Rodin can go to space and be a space marine. Since there is no way for me to actually know how much I've spent, I guess I'll just keep on saving. I also want to unlock Soi Fong as well, but 100 chapters are a bit much. The producer/director weren't kidding when he said that he wanted a game that makes your fingers bleed...

I love that game, but the difficulty kicks my ass on anything other than easy. I could never afford any of the good upgrades. The one complaint I have about Bayonetta is the fucking music. That shit is horrible, but the rest of the game is awesome.

Started Wasteland.
It was up-and-down to have it started in the first place, and the game is a bit complex and takes some time to learn.

Quite confusing for a newbie, definitely, but I'm on a right path.

Many thanks to Farmerk! He made it all happen.
Also, thanks Per, I guess, as it seems that using his guide is a sort of obligatory.

Anno 2070, got it for crimbo (boxed so I could get me that fancy art book) and it's very addictive.
Bugger actually making money though, keep forgetting to build structures that actually make money rather than remove it.

Played through Modern Warfare 3 yesterday. It was easily the weakest of the three. Be sure to rent this if you're not into the MP since the campaign can be finished within 4 to 5 hours, and it's all that impressive either.

Picked up Skyrim about a week ago, and it's enjoyable. I somehow managed to avoid all the hype for it, so I'm just enjoying it for what it is.

Been playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, never beat it and want to before I start on Arkham City, and Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands. Both are good for what they are, hopefully the traps will get more insane in PoP...

Back