General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Just played through Environmental Station Alpha (ESA). Fun little platforming adventure game that came out a few years back. A lot of its gameplay is very skill-based, involves a lot of backtracking. Players end up thinking in unorthodox fashion, resulting in many new players progressing through the game out-of-order at various parts. ESA is quite a difficult game to play. It isn't uncommon to reach a point where the difficulty spikes up to the point where the player is left flabbergasted. If you have difficulty with this, you can change your total health by editing a text file. Hempuli, the creator of ESA, encourages this for players who want to see the game through without dealing with its harsh combat.

The game is very cutesy during the first play-through, but its post-ending content is a jarring shift in tone from platforming and journeying, to cryptic puzzle solving. Some can be obtuse to the point where it feels like a community challenge, rather than just puzzles for the individual player. The game also makes a swift left turn into Spookyville once the player starts making progress into its post-ending content.

I miss this series bad.

I started playing Deus Ex with the GMDX mod. I suck at this game.

Danganronppa's cases are not as tightly weaved as the ones in Ace Attorney (well, for the most part in Ace Attorney), they are full of superfluous details and ridiculous elements, but that's because being a serious detective game is not it's focus, the characters are afterall a bunch of teenagers forced to plot each other's murder and yell at each other to point fingers to the culprit as fast as possible lest they all get killed, it has it's own flavor, while still being a game about poking holes in people's explanations. The atmosphere of the trials is also different, with Ace Attorney going more for a structured presentation of evidence and witness accounts (that eventually goes to shit as the true culprit gets slowly exposed), while Danganronpa is basically a mob trial, even the UI and the abstractions of the mechanics are styled around being fast and twitchy with you having to literally shoot at the incorrect statement with a shooter reticle and the segments where you have to pick the contradictions being timed. Some trials just straight up start with someone yelling at another person accusing them of being the culprit and threatening an early end to the trial.

Still the writting can get a bit dodgy in Danganronpa at points, but if you are just looking for a fun mystery and you have tolerance for anime comedy bullshit you can have a good time with it. Just don't expect shakespeare. The game itself knows how ridiculous it is.

I gave The Bureau XCOM declassified a try because it was cheap on GOG but after a couple of hours I was pretty much done with it.
The rather linear experience, the boring dialogue, boring combat. I did not finish this game but having played similar games before I know where this is heading.

I liked the 50s aesthetics but that is it.

I have heard nothing particularly bad about Nier: Automata's PC port beyond being capped at 60FPS for gameplay (which is plenty good enough I think) and capped at 30FPS for cutscenes (where FPS caps barely fucking matter anyway)

I hear lots of MH fans bemoaning World but I don't know exactly why.

Been playing Tyranny when I get the chance. I enjoy it so far. I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn when I don't feel like getting out of bed. Decent middle shelf relax game. Nothing stellar or groundbreaking but fighting robot dinosaurs can be fun. I honestly wanted a robot dinosaur Far Cry game to be a bit better than what it is but meh.

Lmfao. Yeah, well you gotta be more cinematic now and if people get lost in a game or don't understand a mechanic fully it may be seen as bad because "it's unclear and artificially difficult."

I wasn't shocked when people were clamoring over Dark Souls and praising its difficulty when they've been giving compasses and hints to beat every level for the past 8 years.

People whining/praising Dark Souls' difficulty is what happens when you a generation of gamers raised by Uncharted and Ass Creed play a game that doesnt play itself.

It's only difficult to those who are impatient. It demands you wait a few seconds, it demands you don't get greedy to finish the fight you're in. It was a stark contrast to other major games at the time and that's why everyone who forgot about old games or never knew that there are games beyond the AAA thought that the Souls games were insane.

Are the Seuqels worth purchasing? I keep hearing lots of mixed things about them.
Of Dark Souls? I believe so. Depending on what you want/like in Dark Souls you may liker both, one, or neither, it's pretty much up to that, really.

Are the Seuqels worth purchasing? I keep hearing lots of mixed things about them.

Dark Souls series...I like to compare them to Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas.
Each one brings something new to the table, each one excells at something while utterly failing at something else. Opinions on them differ depending on who you ask.

All in all, your mileage may vary, but at the end of the day Dark Souls is one of the best video game series ever made.

If you liked DS1 get DS2 Scholar of the First Sin and then proceed to DS3 Deluxe Edition.

Been going through FFXII: Zodiac Age on PC.

This game is so underrated and was judged way too harshly by FF fans. It has its flaws but compared to FFXIII, I am having a better experience.

Good thing XIII came along and reminded them what a mediocre entry in the franchise plays like.

I may try to finish another DS3 playthrough later on.

Back