General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

O hey a new Paper Mario game is coming out.
Really sucks what happened with the Paper Mario series, and their shit excuse that it was too similar with the Mario and Luigi games was, well, shit, making them change it into an half assed platformer with Super Paper Mario and whatever the hell Sticker Star is. They both might be turned based games, but they had enough different mechanics to warrant both existing as turn based RPGs.

It is funny in a way that people bitched about the Paper Mario series straying away from its RPG roots when Nintendo gets flak for playing it safe with a lot of games. It's like playing it safe and changing for the sake of change can both be equally bad depending on the situation.

Funny thing is that the Mario and Luigi games are now over forever because the company that made them went kapoot.

This is me being fabulously optimistic, but since Nintendo owns the Mario and Luigi IP, they can just dump it into the hands of another company that might want to give it a try. Of course possible ruination of the series given past examples with other series changing developers.

But yeah, they have less of an excuse now to not turn Paper Mario back into a turn based RPG instead of making each game into a gimmick that gets hardly explored and then abandoned in the next game for another gimmick.

I loved the Paper Mario games when I was a kid. It's sad that we haven't seen a new one for so long. Especially one that is a turn based RPG.

And it's not just the RPG mechanics that they have left by the wayside, but also a lot of the nice aesthetic and adventure touches they had. Before you would for example reach a Desert are and the Toads would have darker skin and turbans, a Goomba town would have the Goombas wearing different clothes, same with the Bob Ombs and Koopas, hell they even made up their own new Mario species for the first 2 Paper Mario games. Now it's just like, bunch of generic Toads everywhere.

I haven't been playing anything since I'm working 2 jobs and doing summer classes, but the last thing I at least tried to play was Fallout 1

Age of Mythology DS finally arrived after nearly two months (stupid ass virus slowing mail dow) and enjoying it so far. Myth units are a lot more balanced in this game compared to the PC game, they can actually be defeated by human units.

SuperMarioRPG-BowsersKeep.jpg

58.jpg

When they decide to play nice and bring this game back I think I might buy their system.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is addicting as hell. I love stealing from pilgrims walking the road. When they discover I have stolen from them I beat the shit out of them and hide them in the bushes. When the guards find out I make up some excuse, bribe them, or murder the guard. Medieval Murder Simulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

The only reason I didn't finish is because I was disappointed with the bugs at the time and my rig wasn't the greatest.

It is what the next gen of rpgs should be in my humble opinion.

As well, the archery feels so realistic that it has that "IMMURSION" quality that takes 5 years of skyrim mods to recreate.

UYohcSC.jpg

I'll always have the memory of seeing that game on sale in a local videogame store a little after it was released. It's the first thing that comes to my mind when i think of that game.

Really sucks the company that made the Mario and Luigi games shut down since i think all of them are solid games, even the weaker ones.

After Saints Row 2, I started playing the first Saints Row, which is an Xbox 360 exclusive, and I found the game to be quite underrated.
It's frustrating, yet such an enjoyable experience.
Despite being some GTA Clone, I say "who gives a shit? It's fun and addicting than San Andreas.
I know I shouldn't talk shit about ONE OF THE BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME but come on, it's Saints Row!"
I'm still working on the game though, so give me time okay?

I played 15 hours of Tropico 4 just making sandbox towns, that was fun.

lr92GJx.png

Inspired by the Far Cry 6 reveal and how fucking barren Tropico 6 is ATM, they had a free weekend and I hated it. It's full of worthless DLC that aren't worth their price tags and will be milked for the next few years; and then they won't hold a candle to 4. 4 is basically a uber-polished 3. Maybe 6 will polish 5 but I doubt it. I've already gotten bored of it, but hey it was more fun than 6.

dMiiUzO.png

Also fuck Ziggurats, fucking worthless.

5awEzoZ.png

And the sad thing is 4 is a very...short game. Do all the missions, fine, some hurdles there, but not impossible. Thne it's done. You can sandbox oh-so-much. There's a lot missing that should be added. But noooo 6 wants you to literally rob landmarks because that's apparently what zany Caribbean dictators do? Not like they don't oppress the people, shoot minorities, launder cash. They barely do anything else but build big palaces and maybe spruce up their hometown.

4 was the high mark of the series and it's a rather low mark, and that's just sad. I would prefer more stuff - more variations on buildings; more buildings and the like (cemeteries come to mind for some reason), bigger roads down the road, a LOT more edicts and controls over the populace, a bigger fleshed out timeline with more events around the world, more reasons to actually keep your population shitty (it's just too easy to make tropico a paradise and there are only downsides to being a dick or making a dystopia) more control over the economy, the like.

I have pics of my Medieval Crony Simulator in action.

20200710162254_1.jpg

Every day my urge to kill innocent people grows stronger.

20200710174956_1.jpg

This is either the worst or best priest ever.

20200710210331_1.jpg

Now that is a realistic night sky.

20200712003739_1.jpg

Even with a generic GPU this computer doesn't chug. My cousin did me good. So far...

20200712022435_1.jpg

I have a problem with riding around in this game and getting distracted by how amazing it looks.

20200712040052_1.jpg

The most realistic Alchemy in video game history sure helps.

Replaying Megaman X collection on my ps2 and realizing how shit it looks on newer tvs, guess if I want to play older games I'm gonna have to fish out some old crt like a TRUE retro gamer.

I've been playing Disco Elysium lately and I'm currently on Day 4 within the game, probably one of the most interesting and beautiful gaming experiences that I've had in a while. It hasn't hit me with a sad gut-punch yet but I expect one of those to show up eventually, I'm honestly getting some big "Planesscape: Torment" vibes from it even though the setting is obviously much different.

Stand-out cool/funny (non-spoiler) things about it thus far off the top of my head:
  • A scary thug named Measurehead who is devoted to scientifically ranking all of the in-game races
  • The entire musical score, holy shit it's so good
  • The use of internal dialogue to reveal lore (which there is A LOT of)
  • The fact that the setting constantly is keeping me guessing between whether it is science-fiction, urban fantasy or something else entirely
  • Probably has one of the best video-game companions of all time

Back